"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Slow Cookers

Old 04-27-2006, 09:17 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

Thank you all for your help!!! THANKS!!!

I do have the owners manual and I've read it a few times and it did not answer none of my questions.... that's why I came here.

Thanks again!!

Ana

Old 04-27-2006, 09:18 AM   #12
Chief Eating Officer

Glad we could help!

Just out of curiousity, which brand do you have?

Old 04-27-2006, 09:26 AM   #13
Master Chef

Hey Miami! I just purchased yet another cookbook ....shhhhh don't tell DH.....maybe he won't notice it. Anyway, its Pillsbury Slow Cooker, and it has some really nice recipes in it that I plan to try. You might want to go to your library and see what cookbooks they have. I know mine carries several cookbooks for this type of cooking. Also, go to the bookstore and have a look around there. I've also found some wonderful sites just by googling.

I like to just create things in mine. Sometimes they turn out really good and other times....we won't go there.... . But thats the fun of cooking. One meat that I advice not to use is Pork Loin as I just did this and its too tender a piece of meat to withstand this type of cooking.

Check out the forum for slow cookers or crockpots (can't remember the exact title) .... I know there were some really great suggestions for recipes there too.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:29 AM   #14
Chief Eating Officer

Here is the forum Sizz is talking about
Old 04-27-2006, 09:51 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Corinne
The frozen meat thing - I don't want to get into a debate on the subject but I have put a frozen beef roast in the crock pot more than once & have seen recipes for putting frozen meats in the crock pot. Never had a problem.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:58 PM   #16
Chief Eating Officer

You can do it a million times and not get sick, but that one time you do get sick will change your mind forever.

You can ride in a car without a seatbelt for years and not get hurt, but that does not mean it is safe.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:00 AM   #17
Master Chef

I wouldn't warry about being sick iether. I think it is the taste, that would be my concern.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:18 AM   #18
Chief Eating Officer

Charlie there are bacteria that will spoil food, but not change the taste at all. Taste is not always an indication that something is not safe to eat.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:25 AM   #19
Master Chef

That's why I asked about the instruction booklet. I believe the frozen meat issue has a lot to do with the make & model based on the thickness of the crockery insert as well as the location of the heating element.

Some models say "no" to any frozen products, vegetables included, others say it's fine. I'd be surprised to find a manual that didn't mention it at all.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:56 AM   #20
Assistant Cook

As a microbiologist, I'd have to say that frozen MEAT in the slow cooker at some point in time will lead to food poisoning. As others have said, you can always cite times that you haven't gotten sick.
It also slows down the ENTIRE cooking process, since heat is being absorbed to thaw the meat, keeping the meat in the zone of bacterial growth even longer. There are bacteria that produce toxins that are heat resistant--the bacteria that produce them may be killed but the toxin remain. These are some of THE most virulent.
I am completely aware of the new freezer crockpot packages--just another expensive "convenience food". Veggies don't take long to thaw. A solid piece of meat does--and if you do it with chicken you are totally flirting with danger.

Tags
None