"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Slow Cookers

Old 04-28-2006, 11:50 AM   #21
Master Chef

Okay so now we are in for even biger question. What do you do with frozen meat? How do you recomend to deal with it. EVen simple chicken takes some times more than a day to defrost in refrigerator, and maybe a half a day outside the refrigerator.

Old 04-28-2006, 11:58 AM   #22
Chief Eating Officer

Place it (wrapped) in cold (not cool, not warm, not hot) running water. It will defrost very quickly.

Old 04-28-2006, 12:01 PM   #23
Master Chef

My husband doesn't eat any red meat, so my experience has only been with frozen poultry. That said, I leave my frozen poultry out (well, in the cold oven) for 24 hours, & then stick it in the fridge. At that time the outside of it is still ice cold. I keep my fridge set cold, & it would take 5-7 days for anything to thaw completely in there. I know - I tried.

Sorry, but I don't have a week to defrost one crummy little chicken according to "standards". Nor do I feel the cold-water method is any faster or safer - just more annoying.

I'm 50 years old, & my parents always thawed their poultry the way I currently do it. And no one has become sick or died.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:07 PM   #24
Chief Eating Officer

To each their own I suppose. I will continue to do it the safe way and not take chances. I will also continue to wear my seatbelt even though thankfully I have never had to actually be saved by it.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:09 PM   #25
Master Chef

I too defrost under cold water.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:21 PM   #26
Assistant Cook

In the microwave at level 3.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:24 PM   #27
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen
In the microwave at level 3.
That equals dried out cooked parts to me.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:36 PM   #28
Certified Pretend Chef

I quickly gave up on thawing in the microwave. You end up with partially cooked parts around the edges.

Hands down, the fastest safe way to defrost is the cold running water method.

I also use my cast aluminum two burner griddle to defrost small pieces of meat. The heavy aluminum works great to speed up the heat transfer. It's amazing how much of a difference it makes. Remember the infomercial for the magical quick defrosting metal plate? Just a piece of aluminum.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:45 PM   #29
Master Chef

Perhaps it depends on the microwave model, but I use my microwave constantly to defrost relatively small cuts of meat. Boneless, skinless chicken breasts, turkey cutlets, lamb chops, beef steaks, packages of ground turkey - all defrost absolutely beautifully & completely in my microwave. I've never ended up with anything partially cooked or underthawed. It is, however, important to experiment with your model as far as how to set the defrost timer properly for each type of meat. But it certainly is worth learning.

For instance, last night for my turkey meatballs I defrosted my ground turkey in the microwave for 16 minutes (experimentation found this to be perfect timing for the usual 1 to 1-1/3 pound package of ground turkey meat). It was defrosted perfectly. No frozen bits; no cooked edges.

Why should I let a package of ground turkey sit around thawing, or waste precious water, when I can do it in 16 minutes?
Old 04-28-2006, 12:50 PM   #30
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking
Why should I let a package of ground turkey sit around thawing, or waste precious water, when I can do it in 16 minutes?
I could have a package of ground turkey defrosted in about the same time using the cold water method. I use water, you use electricity. Both methods "waste" something.

Tags
None