"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Slow Cookers

Old 08-18-2010, 09:05 PM   #21
Admiral of the Texas Navy

I've been thinking about getting one of these. How do they compare with today's crockpots? Are they worth the $$

Old 08-18-2010, 10:40 PM   #22
Senior Cook

Something to note about the differences between some older crock pots to the newer ones is the placement of the heating element. The older ones had the heating element on the bottom of the pot while most new ones have the heating element that goes around the pot. With it going around the pot you need to fill it usually to a certain level mentioned in your owner's manual. If you have an older one with the heating element at the bottom you don't have to fill it to a certain level to use it.

I have both and older and newer crock pot. The older model has a removeable glass pot and the outer pot is a non stick deep fat fryer. The plug is one where you can actually set the temperature. The newer one is one of the Rival ovals with a removeable glass pot and the inside is just a thin metal that you don't cook in.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:06 AM   #23
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Joshatdot Send a message via AIM to Joshatdot Send a message via MSN to Joshatdot Send a message via Yahoo to Joshatdot Send a message via Skype™ to Joshatdot
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I broke my old pot, dropped it. Got the new one, it is total disaster. I need the food to cook for at least 20 hours or so, on hot it burns completely, on low it still burns, on keep warm it is beraly warm, and definitely not cooked proparly
Check your local Thrift Stores for your old broken one. I've seen many old & new slow cookers at: Goodwill, Value Village, Salvation Army. Or search eBay too .. maybe Craigslist.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:08 AM   #24
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Joshatdot Send a message via AIM to Joshatdot Send a message via MSN to Joshatdot Send a message via Yahoo to Joshatdot Send a message via Skype™ to Joshatdot
Quote:
Originally Posted by forty_caliber View Post
I've been thinking about getting one of these. How do they compare with today's crockpots? Are they worth the $$

Did you ask about this same cooker a few weeks/months ago? I swear I read someone asking about that same exact cooker.

edit: nope it was someone else: Choosing a rice cooker/steamer/slow cooker combo
Old 08-19-2010, 01:13 AM   #25
Senior Cook

Anywho .. I am tempted to try and take apart one of the New ones I find at Goodwill, and see if I can lower the 'Low' cooking temperature. I am guessing it's done by resistors, which I can just solder in a higher value one, there by lowering the temperature.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:16 AM   #26
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshatdot View Post
Check your local Thrift Stores for your old broken one. I've seen many old & new slow cookers at: Goodwill, Value Village, Salvation Army. Or search eBay too .. maybe Craigslist.
Thank you. Unfortunately I would not buy an used pot.

Tags
None