"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Slow Cookers

Old 10-16-2006, 08:47 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

This is delicious.

Braised Pork Loin with Apples and Onions

Serves 4
3 lbs center cut pork loin, trimmed to remove any excess fat and silver skin
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp ground sage or poultry seasoning (I used poultry seasoning)
2 tsp grape seed oil (this was used because of its high smoke point, and also to reduce the "bad" fat)
2 large sweet yellow onions (Vidalia, 1015, etc) peeled, halved, and thinly sliced
1 cup of dried apple slices, halved (try to get unsulfered, if available)
2 cups chicken stock (I use Swanson or Pacific, low fat)
1 large can frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
4 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced 1/4" to 1/2" thick
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Adjust the rack to the lowest position. Season the pork all over liberally with salt, ground pepper, and sage or poultry seasoning. Heat a large stewpot that has a tight-fitting lid, on high heat. (I used a Le Creuset pan, which worked quite well.) When hot, add the oil and brown the pork loin in the oil, all over, until deep golden brown. Remove the roast from the pot and set aside. Reduce heat to medium.
Add onions to the pot and cook them, stirring occasionally, until they begin to caramelize and turn brown, about 8 minutes. Add the dried apples, chicken stock, and apple juice concentrate to the onions in the pot and stir. Put the pork roast back in the pot and bring the pot to boil on the stovetop. Put the lid on the pot and put the pot in the preheated oven. Cook pork, covered, for approximately 1 hour. (I found this cooking time to be much too long...check at about 30 minutes). Remove the cover from the pot and add the Granny Smith apples and stir. Baste the roast with the pan juices. Return the pot to the oven, uncovered, and cook 1 hour more, basting occasionally with the pan juices (again, I think this cooking time was too long; you don't want to overcook the pork until it dries out.) Remove pot from the oven.
If the sauce seems too watery, place the pork on a cutting board and cover with a loose foil tent, and place the pot back on the stove on high heat and boil the juices down until they are syrupy, stirring as necessary so the apples and onions don't stick. Omit this step if there is little liquid in the pot. (I didn't find this step necessary.) Taste sauce and correct seasonings if needed.
Slice pork and place it on a serving platter, surrounded with apples and onions and drizzled with pan juices.

Old 10-20-2006, 10:15 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Trudy, it's not you if you got a Rival crockpot. It's just running too hot. The last couple of years they've designed them to run at a higher temp. I made the mistake of giving away my perfectly good 5 qt Rival crockpot to buy a new 6-quarter, and I ended up having to toss it because all the recipes that worked before were burning. I contacted Rival and they acted like it was my fault. Just to let you know, I did buy a Hamilton Beach Stay or Go 6 qt crockpot, and it runs at the proper temperature. I will never buy a Rival again, unless they make some sort of announcement that they have changed it back. I will say though that there are a lot of lousy crockpot cookbooks, so your best bet is to get recipes from people who know that the recipe works!

Old 12-19-2006, 07:34 AM   #13
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to SueBear
question about chicken breasts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
Trudyg - chicken pieces on the bone are fine. Boneless, skinless chicken breasts are terrible!! Your cooking time won't be near as long for the pieces but bone-in is much better.
I have a question. I've haven't located what I want for some reasonable recipes to make Chicken Cacciatore. I keep coming across is it's calling for a full chicken. I'd prefer not to deal with a full one and go with breasts but here I'm seeing that they're not good to use. I suppose that cooking on a stove and using the cp is very different. I've made the Chicken Cacciatore on the stove many times before so I'm beginning to see how different both ways of cooking are.

I am curious though, wings don't have a whole lot of meat on them, isn't there something better than that out there which will be more beneficial? Any input on the issue is greatly appreciated. FWIW, I purchased my new cp Sunday night (day late Christmas present) it's due to show up on Dec 26th so I'm getting excited.

Sue
Old 12-19-2006, 07:58 AM   #14
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueBear
I have a question. I've haven't located what I want for some reasonable recipes to make Chicken Cacciatore. I keep coming across is it's calling for a full chicken. I'd prefer not to deal with a full one and go with breasts but here I'm seeing that they're not good to use. I suppose that cooking on a stove and using the cp is very different. I've made the Chicken Cacciatore on the stove many times before so I'm beginning to see how different both ways of cooking are.

I am curious though, wings don't have a whole lot of meat on them, isn't there something better than that out there which will be more beneficial? Any input on the issue is greatly appreciated. FWIW, I purchased my new cp Sunday night (day late Christmas present) it's due to show up on Dec 26th so I'm getting excited.

Sue
You can use chicken parts and even chicken breasts in the crockpot. Just don't cook them as long so they don't dry out.

Tags
None