"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Slow Cookers

Old 10-16-2006, 04:43 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Over cooked in a slow cooker! HELP

Hi everyone,

I am new to the site so i am hoping to find alot of useful information.
I recently just bought my first slow cooker and have used it 5 times already, and each dish that i have made has been overcooked. WHAT am I doing WRONG???
Each meat dish that i have made has been a little smaller than what a recipe calls for, so I just reduce the cooking time. For example, i cooked a pork loin (small roast) and it was half the size the recipe called for, so i only cooked it on low for 3hours. Well it is very well done. This may be a stupid question, but should i have cooked it for longer so more moisture gets absorbed and the meat would then fall apart???
My slow cooker is one that has "even heating" dont know if this matters at all.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks alot.

Old 10-16-2006, 06:06 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Probably the only meat I really despise coming from a crockpot is a pork loin That is because there is not enough fat to make it tender. A pork loin just needs to be cooked using a different method.

On that note the longer a roast cooks in the crockpot the more tender it will become. Like Boston butt or a chuck - I like to cook mine until it is falling apart - if it's just sliceable then it's not done enough.

What are some of the other things you have cooked?

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 06:10 PM   #3
Senior Cook

A loin is a tender piece of meat not well suited to the slow cooker. The loin is best cooked no more than medium (here come the objections).

Slow cookers are tools for prolonged braising of food. This method of cooking is best suited to stews and tough cuts of meat.

thymeless
Old 10-16-2006, 06:21 PM   #4
Head Chef

Welcome to DC. Kitchenelf has the right idea.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 06:23 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Respectfully I disagree with both of you about the pork loin. It is too lean--true. And it can be a tender piece of meat when roasted to a rosy pink. But it can be braised and be delicious and to me, much more flavorful than just roasted, even with a good sauce.. In fact, that is the only way I cook them any more.
To the original poster, your roast will of course be very well done when cooked for 3 hours. The temp of a slow cooker is probably around 300*.
You don't say how much liquid you had in it. Slow cookers are a braising tool--you need to have liquid at least half way up the side of the meat you are cooking. And yes, if you had cooked it longer it might have been more tender and falling apart.
Also I am not entirely clear what you mean by "overcooked". What were you expecting from the recipe you used?
I will be back with my favorite pork loin recipe--pork braised with apples and onions.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:25 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymeless
The loin is best cooked no more than medium (here come the objections). thymeless
No objections here - a tad pink is best to me!

Old 10-16-2006, 06:30 PM   #7
Hospitality Queen

trudy - perhaps you can show us some of the recipes you've used, along with the results you had. I'm sure we can crack this case!
Old 10-16-2006, 08:15 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Thanks for all the reply's so far.
In response to some, the recipes i have tried so far in the slow cooker has been a whole chicken, chicken breasts, a roast and pork. All in which has been on the dry side unfortunatly.

It was mentioned that the liquid should reach at least half the meat, I have done that will all recipes but still, i am finding the meats tuff. I guess i should just stick to the tough cuts of meat, and stay away from chicken and pork. Maybe its my slow cooker that is not performing as it should.

Is it crazy to say that a chicken breast could be cooked in an hour on low??
Old 10-16-2006, 08:33 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Whole chicken may be alll right. Chicken breasts will be dry and overcooked in a crockpot.
You are turning itdown to low, aren't you.
And yes, the slow cooker is for tougher pieces of beef--to make a good pot roast, for example.
A chicken breast cooked on low for an hour will be overcooked.
But we really do need to know the recipes. For example, a chicken breast with the skin and bone in a cacciatore sauce could cook for a couple of hours and be quite delicious. But it needs to be in a lot of sauce.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:37 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Trudyg - chicken pieces on the bone are fine. Boneless, skinless chicken breasts are terrible!! Your cooking time won't be near as long for the pieces but bone-in is much better.

I'll send you some recipes via PM - I've had them for years but they probably came off the intenet or are on the internet by now. I'm going to make a sandwich then I'll start sending you recipes.

Also - just google "crockpot recipes" - you will get some good reading! lol

And be sure and check out all we have here too - click on the link at the very bottom of the page where it says Links to Forums for the archives.

Tags
None