"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Slow Cookers

Old 04-24-2006, 11:20 AM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

The internal temperature of the meat has to reach about 205 F to 210 F for the connective tissue to break down to make shredding (pulling) the pork easy. Depending on the size of the butt and whether or not it has a bone, that can take as much as 10-12 hours.

Old 04-24-2006, 01:51 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

This is not my experience exactly. First, the tissue breaks down beginning at 190*. And it must be noted that the only way to get meat to this temp is by very low heat cooking--225-250*. I find that the size of the butt does not materially affect the cooking time. I have cooked 3# butts and 7# butts and it takes just about 8 hours. I suppose if you have a whole shoulder at 14#, then longer would be needed. I don't find the bone makes any difference either. The bone in the butts I get is very small.

Old 04-24-2006, 02:06 PM   #13
Sous Chef

heres one of my fav. bbq sauce recipies!!

BBQ Sauce:
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 medium onion, minced
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano leaves
1 cup ketchup
1 cup tomato puree
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons southern style hot sauce (recommended: Tabasco)
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepperIn a medium saucepan, over medium heat, add the vegetable oil. Saute the onions, garlic, and oregano until translucent, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients, ketchup, tomato puree, Worcestershire sauce, honey, brown sugar, hot sauce, paprika, cayenne, cumin, coriander, salt and black pepper. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, then lower heat to a simmer and allow to simmer for 1 hour 30 minutes.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:10 PM   #14
Master Chef

just saw your signature on your posts.......bad...very very bad!!!! I could hear my oldest brother saying this though.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:08 AM   #15
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalady
Here's the recipe for the traditional NC vinegar pulled pork dressing - note, it's only put on the pork after the cooking is done, right before serving; it's not cooked along with the meat, unless you're doing it in a pit outside; then it can be brushed on the pork while cooking, and then some added at the end, mixed in after the pork is shredded.

VINEGAR SAUCE

(NORTH CAROLINA SAUCE FOR PULLED PORK)

makes 4 cups

2 cups cider vinegar
1/3 cups water
5 tsp. salt
cup brown sugar
4tsp. crushed hot pepper

1tsp. black pepper
1tsp. white pepper

Combine vinegar, water, ketchup, brown sugar, salt, hot pepper flakes and peppers in bowl and whisk til sugar and salt are dissolved.

Note - DH remembers a quart jar of this always sitting in his grandma's pantry, to 'age'!

MARMALADY,

Is there KETCHUP in this sauce?? (how much?) Also, is the sauce spicy/peppery??
Thanks, gary
Old 04-25-2006, 07:06 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Ooops, Gary, my bad! I was copying off a page that had 2 different recipes on it - must have copied the wrong one! No ketchup in this one! It's pretty spicy as you can imagine from the amount of crushed hot pepper in it!
Old 04-25-2006, 11:09 AM   #17
Cook

Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
Wow, thanks everyone!

Ok, so back to the store for another cut of pork!
Old 04-25-2006, 11:25 AM   #18
Master Chef

I've cooked pork loin in the crockpot for pulled pork, and it's been very good. I dump a beer in with it, and season the meat with southwest seasoning. Once it's tender and shredded, I put it back in the pot with the cooking juices and Maull's BBQ sauce...makes great sandwiches.
If we're doing it on the smoker, we always use a pork butt.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:49 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

If you do a pork loin as Constance describes, it is a basically a braised pork loin and indeed it will shred and make a good sandwich. BUT for the best pulled pork BBQ do it in an oven at 225-250* for 8 hours. What you get is a wonderful dark crispy crust that you incorporate into your pulled pork.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:03 PM   #20
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen
If you do a pork loin as Constance describes, it is a basically a braised pork loin and indeed it will shred and make a good sandwich. BUT for the best pulled pork BBQ do it in an oven at 225-250* for 8 hours. What you get is a wonderful dark crispy crust that you incorporate into your pulled pork.

All the recipes some yummy.

Tags
None