Pulled Pork barbeque sauce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
marmalady said:
Ooops, Gary, my bad! I was copying off a page that had 2 different recipes on it - must have copied the wrong one! No ketchup in this one! It's pretty spicy as you can imagine from the amount of crushed hot pepper in it!

Thanks Marmalady,

How do you think this sauce would be without the chrushed hot pepper???

gary

Last edited:
Gretchen said:
Actually do you want my VERY tried and true recipe for pulled pork? It is pretty well known on the internet.

If you choose to use commercial BBQ sauce for your pulled pork I STRONGLY recommend diluting commercial BBQ sauce half and half with vinegar.

Gretchen,

What kind of vinegar works best?

Does the "half and half" ratio work with pretty much all commercial brands, or do some need more vinegar than others?

Also, how do these vinegar sauces taste with beef?

Thanks, Gary

I don't like the commercial sauces that are very dark brown--prefer the ones that are tomatoey colored. Cider vinegar is the vinegar to use.
If you took Marmalady's sauce without the cayenne you would have sweet vinegar. The pepper sauces are just de rigeur in Eastern NC--that is what they serve with theirs.

However, when I make pulled pork, after pulling it I put some of the following on the meat prior to serving. I put SO LITTLE of this that you do not even know there is any liquid added (the meat itself is very very moist).
Mix1C cider vinegar with 1/2tsp coarse black pepper and 3 TBS brown sugar. Mix well and add SPARINGLY SPARINGLY to your pulled meat.
Serve BBQ sauce at the table for each to use what they want.
Other go withs for pulled pork are slaw (both mayo based and a red pepper, ketchup, vinegar based sauce), baked beans, and in the fall Brunswick stew. The other Carolina custom is that slaw is served ON the sandwich.

Gary, the sauce w/out the red pepper would be okay - but that's one of the shining stars of the recipe, the other being the vinegar. Why don't you try just cutting down on the amount of red pepper, first?

I've always made this with apple cider vinegar.

Gretchen and Marmalady,

Thanks for the sauce info and recipes. I'm gonna smoke a 8# Boston butt this weekend and I'll use the sauces.
Gary

Gretchen, Marmalady and others,

Have you ever used any vinegar sauces with beef? (chuck roast or beef ribs etc.) How did it taste?

I've used my tomato BBQ sauce with a shredded brisket BBQ and on BBQ short ribs.
I have an interesting recipe to make a crockpot BBQ that you put rump roast in a slow cooker with a jar of hot 'n sweet banana peppers and cook on low for 8 hours. Shred the beef and mix it all together to make subs. It is really quite good--spicily piquant.
I don't really care for the vinegar sauces. Whenever we have pulled pork for a party (or I make it for a crowd) I serve the vinegar sauces along with mine. Invariably, the vinegar sauces are very little used. But at friends' homes where they are from Eastern NC, that is the sauce of choice.

I was in my freezer last night (looking in it, not like sitting in it lol) and I noticed that I have a shoulder, not a loin! I am going to try putting a beer in with it instead of water and then try one of the sauce recipes!

Thanks.

Ok, so I cooked it on high for 5 hours with one bottle of Killians and about a cup of water. After 5 hours, I dumped most of the liquid out, made the sauce (I combined ideas from the recipes here), pulled the pork, and put it all back in for an hour - it was delicious!!!

A lot of things work, but next time try it overnight in the oven at a low temp. If your liquid was boiling or even simmering, you just have boiled pork. It is OK, but it can be better--and just as easy. All you do is stick it in a pan, put it in the oven and bake for 8 hours.

Back
Top Bottom