Question... Coq au Vin in Crock-pot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drpjduncan

Assistant Cook
I'm cooking for a rather large group and was thinking about borrowing some crockpots and trying a slow cook coq au vin. It's buffet style and seating is a problem so I want something that hopefully is fall off the bone tender such that it is one handed fork dining. I'm thinking of using thighs and drumsticks.

I have a few specific questions as well as interested in any helpful suggestions.

- skin vs skinless... I'm thinking skinless so hopefully it will be fall off the bone fork food?

- brown chicken before putting in crock or not? Dito for onions and mushrooms?

- can I evenly distribute chicken, pearl onions and mushrooms and pack fairly tightly (I've read tips about layering and adding some things like mushrooms later in cooking, but would like to avoid if possible)?

- if I lightly dredge chicken in flour will this result in a thicker sauce at the end of cooking or just foul the whole slow cooking process?

- what about fat content, lots of coq au vins use bacon fat to saute things before cooking as well as having fat from leaving chicken skin in... where might this fit in a crock-pot version?

Many thanks in advance to all that help bring me up to speed with crock cooking.

Last edited:
I have never done Coq au vin in a crock pot...never really thought about it.
I don't see why it would not work however!! I would go with the bacon fried crisp and added. I would use very little of the drippings. I would definately skin the chicken before browning.... barely coated in flour. Not a bad idea of browning/sauteing onions first...(they can be strong at times) If you use carrots...I par-boil as I do not like the "sweetness" they impart. Defat your chicken stock...use a good burgandy. Not a bad idea to use "dark meat" but I would add some "white meat" for those guest who prefer it. Cut the breast into two or three portions. Some of my thoughts and ideas...hope they help!

drpjduncan, I have not cooked Coq Au Vin in a crockpot even though I own 2 crockpots. Perhaps this recipe provided by the manufacturer could help you.

Ingredients:
3 chicken breasts, halved or 3 drumsticks and 3 thighs
6 bacon slices, diced
2/3 cup sliced green onions
8 small white onions, peeled
1/2 pound whole mushrooms
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
8 small new potatoes, scrubbed
2 cups Burgundy
1 cup chicken broth
Chopped parsley

Method:
In a large skillet, saute diced bacon and green onions, until bacon is crisp. Remove and drain on paper towel. Add chicken pieces to skillet and brown well on all sides. Remove the chicken when it has browned and set aside. Put ppeled onions, mushrooms, and garlic in crockpot. Add browned shicken pieces, bacon and green onions, salt, pepper, thyme, potatoes, Burgundy and chicken broth. Cover and set to low for 6 to 8 hours. (High: 3 to 4 hours).

Please note that cooking time may vary according to the make and model of the crockpot used. In which case, increase the cooking time if necessary.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom