"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Slow Cookers

Old 09-26-2010, 11:49 AM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyanne View Post
kayelle..."ribbons of fresh basil"? How do you do that? Sounds like a beautiful side dish.

Another suggestion is roasted sweet potato fries or roasted veggies (in oven at 500 degrees for 20 minutes). They are still good served at room temperature.
MA, take basil leaves and stack them like a deck of cards, roll them up tight length wise, and slice the roll very thinly. You'll end up with "ribbons of fresh basil". There's a name for the process but I can't spell it, and it seems spell checker can't spell it either.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:03 PM   #12
Flour Child

Thank you..."ribbons of fresh basil" sounds so poetic...I can't wait to do that and I've got tons of fresh basil growing in my container gardens...TONS!

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:59 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
MA, take basil leaves and stack them like a deck of cards, roll them up tight length wise, and slice the roll very thinly. You'll end up with "ribbons of fresh basil". There's a name for the process but I can't spell it, and it seems spell checker can't spell it either.
That would be - Chiffonade

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:01 PM   #14
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
That would be - Chiffonade

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
Beat me!
Old 09-26-2010, 03:10 PM   #15
Master Chef

chiffonade........thanks guys.

I also learned it's a French word that literally means "made from rags". Hmm, interesting.

Basil chiffonade.
Ribbons of basil.

I like ribbons better too. :)

Old 09-26-2010, 03:23 PM   #16
Master Chef

Lindalou, here's another great idea I just came across....these would sure look pretty on the plates of food. Easy peasy too!!

Caprese Antipasticks Recipe : Rachael Ray : Food Network

Old 09-26-2010, 10:35 PM   #17
Master Chef

My preference would be the tomatoes if you can still get good ones. But since you aren't carb-heavy, how about corn-on-the-cob?
Old 09-27-2010, 12:14 PM   #18
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
For years I've been making a luscious salad that was created long ago by Pierre Franey (of 60-Minute Gourmet fame). It consists of sliced ripe tomatoes (imho they're at their best right NOW!) arugula and crumbled blue cheese. It is such a delicious and refreshing combination of flavors.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:01 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
For years I've been making a luscious salad that was created long ago by Pierre Franey (of 60-Minute Gourmet fame). It consists of sliced ripe tomatoes (imho they're at their best right NOW!) arugula and crumbled blue cheese. It is such a delicious and refreshing combination of flavors.
Does this salad have a dressing June? You lay the sliced tomatoes on top of the arugula and sprinkle with blue cheese? Sounds too simple to have been "created" by anyone.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:24 AM   #20
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
Sounds wonderful, scribbling it down...perfect for work! Thanks!

Tags
None