Sides to go with...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyndalou

Head Chef
Next weekend a group of 10 of us are going for a river boat ride and we are having the gang over for supper afterwards. I am making Goodweed's Boston Butt with BBQ sauce (his recipe) and cole slaw with great rolls. A friend is bringing dessert. What else would you think would go well? I'd like one more thing on the plate. Maybe just some sliced tomatoes?

Lyndalou

Sliced tomato is a refreshing side. You could also consider baked beans, macaroni or potato salads. A big bowl of potato chips could also go with that meal.

At a recent party with that kind of a menu, I served a big platter of sliced perfectly ripe tomatoes, alternating with slices of thin cut red onion, thin cut fresh mozzarella, sprinkled with ribbons of fresh basil, and simply dressed with EVOO and balsamic vinegar. The platter looked so pretty next to all the heavy food and it was a real hit. A silver pie server helped with people helping themselves.

Last edited:
kayelle..."ribbons of fresh basil"? How do you do that? Sounds like a beautiful side dish.

Another suggestion is roasted sweet potato fries or roasted veggies (in oven at 500 degrees for 20 minutes). They are still good served at room temperature.

A good sweet & sour three bean salad is very good with this meal as well.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I agree. That was going to be my suggestion. I particularly like a Black Bean Salad from the Bush's website.

http://vegetablewithmore.allrecipes.com/Recipe/Recipe.aspx?nprid=63871

The only things that I do different from the original recipe is: I add an additional can of black beans to make the recipe go farther and I seed and devein a jalapeno pepper, dice it fine and add it to the salad with the rest of the vegetables.

Last edited:
Thanks to all of you for some great suggestions. We are now 12 people (where am I going to put them all???)
Molly, you stack the basil leaves (fresh) and roll them up lengthwise, then slice across to make ribbons.

kayelle..."ribbons of fresh basil"? How do you do that? Sounds like a beautiful side dish.

Another suggestion is roasted sweet potato fries or roasted veggies (in oven at 500 degrees for 20 minutes). They are still good served at room temperature.

MA, take basil leaves and stack them like a deck of cards, roll them up tight length wise, and slice the roll very thinly. You'll end up with "ribbons of fresh basil". There's a name for the process but I can't spell it, and it seems spell checker can't spell it either.:ermm: :ROFLMAO:

Thank you..."ribbons of fresh basil" sounds so poetic...I can't wait to do that and I've got tons of fresh basil growing in my container gardens...TONS!

MA, take basil leaves and stack them like a deck of cards, roll them up tight length wise, and slice the roll very thinly. You'll end up with "ribbons of fresh basil". There's a name for the process but I can't spell it, and it seems spell checker can't spell it either.:ermm: :ROFLMAO:

That would be - Chiffonade:)

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

chiffonade........thanks guys.

I also learned it's a French word that literally means "made from rags". Hmm, interesting.

Basil chiffonade.
Ribbons of basil.

I like ribbons better too. :)

Last edited:
My preference would be the tomatoes if you can still get good ones. But since you aren't carb-heavy, how about corn-on-the-cob?

For years I've been making a luscious salad that was created long ago by Pierre Franey (of 60-Minute Gourmet fame). It consists of sliced ripe tomatoes (imho they're at their best right NOW!) arugula and crumbled blue cheese. It is such a delicious and refreshing combination of flavors.

For years I've been making a luscious salad that was created long ago by Pierre Franey (of 60-Minute Gourmet fame). It consists of sliced ripe tomatoes (imho they're at their best right NOW!) arugula and crumbled blue cheese. It is such a delicious and refreshing combination of flavors.

Does this salad have a dressing June? You lay the sliced tomatoes on top of the arugula and sprinkle with blue cheese? Sounds too simple to have been "created" by anyone.

Sounds wonderful, scribbling it down...perfect for work! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom