Slow Cook Pork Chops with Sweet Baby Ray

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

David Cottrell

Head Chef
Friend in Chicago introduced me to this one and I really like it. Chicago is the origin of Sweet Baby Ray after all.

Easy Slow Cook Pork Chops

with Sweet Baby Ray BQQ Sauce

This is a more or less recipe – amounts depending on taste!

Ingredients:
6-8 boneless pork chops and a bit of oil for the pan, olive oil is good.
McCormick Grill Mates Roasted Garlic Montreal Chicken Seasoning (or your favorite)
Maybe a bit of salt and pepper if you like
1 medium to large onion, chopped
Cup and a half of water
Cup and a half of Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ Sauce, original (or your personal favorite)
Cup of red wine more or less

Instructions:
Sprinkle both sides of the pork chops with seasoning and maybe a bit of salt and pepper to your taste.
Sear in a good size pan with hot olive oil or oil of your choice.
Remove pork chops to slow cooker.
Saute onion in the same pan with gravy leavings.
Add water, cup of red wine more or less, and the BBQ sauce.
With whisk or wooden spoon bring up and mix in all the gravy, etc.
Bring to a boil.
Dump into the slow cooker and cook on high for about 4 hours plus or minus a half hour or on low eight hours plus or minus an hour.

Recipes will vary according to the writer’s slow cooker I guess. I have used those times, four hours on high or eight on low.

Enjoy!

That looks like a good way to break in my electric pressure cooker and use its slow cooker feature. It has a browning setting for searing, so everything can be done in the one pot :)

Thanks for the recipe.
BTW, Any reason you couldn't use chops with the bone?

The only reason I can think of is the meat falls away from the bone and you have a loose, meaty mess (not that it tastes any different ;)).
I've never slow cooked pork chops, so I'll find out :)

David, Thanks. Copied recipe. Looking forward to trying soon. Aria

Sounds good to me.

I've made soup in the slow cooker before but.. have always been there to watch and keep track of what it's doing. I really have to be brave and try this.

Can I cook the pork the night before? No time for that in the morning hours.??

Friend in Chicago introduced me to this one and I really like it. Chicago is the origin of Sweet Baby Ray after all.

Sweet Baby Ray's is the invention of Larry Raymond and his brother. Larry was the chef and manager at a club I belonged to in Wausau, WI. I suppose his bro was in Chicago, can't remember. One thing I do remember, it made Larry a wealthy man. :mrgreen:

pdswife - don't really know the art of slow cooking but I don''t know why one couldn't do the sear and sauce prep the night before, refrigerate and start cooking the next day - don't know if it would take too long to warm up in the slow cooker. Surely there are more familiar slow cookers here who could help. Maybe post the question in the slow cooking forum.

Maplesparkle, I think it's the Sweet Baby Ray's original BBQ sauce that made the dish for me. Hope it works out with a trial cook to work it all out, and then offer to share the second cook with the family downstairs. You might get to come downstairs more often! :)

Maplesparkle, I think it's the Sweet Baby Ray's original BBQ sauce that made the dish for me. Hope it works out with a trial cook to work it all out, and then offer to share the second cook with the family downstairs. You might get to come downstairs more often! :)

I'll remember that about the BBQ sauce.

:LOL: Actually it's me who basically banned herself. I wanted to be able to make meals for just me and my husband. ;) It's just the way I am I guess.

Sounds like a great recipe will definitely have to give it a try......the cooking times now is that pre-modern or modern crockpot cooking times...:ROFLMAO: hmmm lets see if P= IE divided by the square root of ........ :chef:

Sounds good to me.

I've made soup in the slow cooker before but.. have always been there to watch and keep track of what it's doing. I really have to be brave and try this.

Can I cook the pork the night before? No time for that in the morning hours.??

You would be surprised what I have done in my slow cooker ;)!

One of the things we discussed last time around was how hot the slow cooker got. Some new ones today do not get that hot, and as a result are not safe for much more than soups or stews. Mine does get fairly hot, and I have done whole chickens in it, roasts, stews, soups, and of course slow cooked BBQ country style ribs.
So for me, this recipe is not a stretch. I would say the determining factor for you is how hot your slow cooker gets, and does it have an 'auto' setting?
With mine, I could do the searing and prep work the night before, then the next morning put it all in the slow cooker, set it to auto, and leave for the day. By the time I got back maybe 8 hours or so later it would be done and ready to go. The Auto setting brings the slow cooker and its contents up to 165F, then lowers it back down to slow cook, so in the case of refridgerated foods placed in it, that just means it stays on the higher heat longer as it will take longer to bring it up to temp.
HTH.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom