Slow cooker boiled dry - help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jalisca

Assistant Cook
It's the first time I've used one, I adapted a stew recipe and used most of the liquid advised expecting none to be evaporated. I put it on high, planning to wait 7/8 hours for this 2 1/2 hour recipe to cook as per manual. 4 hours later it had boiled dry (burnt on the side and everything). Basically is the slow cooker defective? You could see the steam rising from the lid and bubbling out from under it but I left it for 4 hours not wanting to disturb it in the first half of cooking. Help!

Definitely defective - I'd return it immediately &/or contact the manufacturer.

You should not see any steam rising from the lid or escaping from beneath it. All that steam/moisture should remain trapped inside the cooker to keep everything moist during the cooking process. With slow-cooker recipes you should normally end up with more liquid than you started with, not less.

It's the first time I've used one, I adapted a stew recipe and used most of the liquid advised expecting none to be evaporated. I put it on high, planning to wait 7/8 hours for this 2 1/2 hour recipe to cook as per manual. 4 hours later it had boiled dry (burnt on the side and everything). Basically is the slow cooker defective? You could see the steam rising from the lid and bubbling out from under it but I left it for 4 hours not wanting to disturb it in the first half of cooking. Help!
Hi
I've been using my slow cooker for years, never had this happen. I only turn it on high for 20 minutes, to get it hot, while I seal the meat. Then it gets turned down to low for 6-7 hours, I do stews, chili con carne(which has less liquid), I don't cook on high for hours, just the 20 mins to begin. Hope that helps.

It does sound possible defective. However looking at slow cooker recipe, a dish on high is usually done in around 4hrs. I have an auto function which switches between low & high, or I bring it to bubbling on high & then turn it down low for the remainder.

Regardless of whether your cooker is defective or not, what the others have posted is correct as well - you shouldn't be cooking anything on "high" for 7-8 hours. The longest I've ever seen any slow-cooker recipe recommend cooking anything on "high" is 2-3 hours tops. Any longer than that should be done on "low".

Thanks for all your replys. I immediately added more stock then turned it down to low for the last hour. It tasted fine, was very tender lol and and the bacon dissapeared!. I think next time I'll do it on low (it didn't seem to bubble out on low) for 7 hrs ish and add potatoes. All's well that ends well! rofl

edit: ofcourse I think this means that my slow cooker is not suited to cooking anything on high, but we shall see, thanks again

I can especially see that happening with the newer RIVAL "Crock-Pot" that run way too hot to begin with. Even on low it will come to a boil and going on high for all day could be disastrous if the liquid disappeared.

The new slow-cookers get hotter than the old ones. I think it's because of a food safety issue.
At any rate, figure half the time of your recipe recommends, and start checking it then.

Only the Rival brands did it and they publicly stated that they did it. Mine went on a back shelf and I purchased a Hamilton Beach and I love it. No heat issues.

That's why I have kept my Rival I bought the year they came out. Even bought another one at a yard sale for $2. Wouldn't trade the older ones for anything.

Katie, I have my Mom's old Rival and love it! DH keeps saying he will buy me one of these new fangled ones and I say no, I like what I have thank you very much!

I don't think that slow cookers of any age or make are meant to be kept on high. It is mainly for starting a dish or finishing it (ie adding flour or cornstarch to thicken it). We use crockpots on catering jobs for sauces and gravies and they have never boiled dry on low.

Katie, I have my Mom's old Rival and love it! DH keeps saying he will buy me one of these new fangled ones and I say no, I like what I have thank you very much!

I don't think that slow cookers of any age or make are meant to be kept on high. It is mainly for starting a dish or finishing it (ie adding flour or cornstarch to thicken it). We use crockpots on catering jobs for sauces and gravies and they have never boiled dry on low.

Yes, Laurie, these old ones are great workhorses. 'Cept I have to laugh at the colors. My original one is harvest gold. The one I bought at a yard sale is avocado green. Both definitely a sign of their date of origin.:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom