"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Slow Cookers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2017, 05:50 PM   #21
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro3bert View Post
That's what I thought too so was surprised at the outcome. There was one other thing I neglected to mention; the cream cheese never seems to have integrated itself into the food, there were still very small chunks that stuck to forks and knives. Wasn't particularly concerned just noticed it and thought it should have completely melted. Maybe that is related to introducing the yogurt at the beginning.

I reluctantly stirred it at some point after seeing chunks of cream cheese still sitting on top. As I understand it as a neophyte slow cooker user one shouldn't take the top off the cooker at anytime during the cooking process (heat loss and all that). I guess I'll have to modify my thinking from now on.

Again, it is rather tasty, I put the leftovers in the refrigerator so we have a few meals to go with it before I try another recipe and there are more I want to try.

My cooker is a Hamiltpn-Beach Set and Forget with a glass top so I can see what's cooking, well, through the condensation that is.
I use 3 different slow cookers, 2 are mine and one is my mothers. All of them have a fairly hot "low" setting, I think with yours you might try with it on high for a couple of hours to get things nice and hot, then back to low to maintain a decent temp.

Also, make sure you were on low and not on the warm setting. I have actually seen a couple slow cookers that had a low, medium and high settings, where the low was actually what most cookers use for warm.

bossman150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 07:32 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

I doubt there is such a thing as a consistent recipe for slow cookers. There's just nothing consistent about a crockpot! The temp is always a mystery according to what brand it is, how old it is, what exactly is meant by "low" and "high" settings, it's really a crap shoot any way you look at it. For the life of me, I can't understand how they've been around so long. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:09 PM   #23
Master Chef

Agreed! I took my crockpots to the thrift shop years ago and got a Nesco Roaster. You can adjust the settings to the temp you want. I love mine, as do many of us here. You can brown roasts on high heat at 450, adjust the heat level down for slow cooking at 250, then an even lower 175 for warming...and anything in between.

Plus, the heating elements are around the sides, not just on the bottom, so you get more even cooking.

The newer 'crockpots' have such high settings, even on 'low'. Nesco roasters allow you to adjust the temp to what you want. I love it and wouldn't be without it.

6 Qt. Ivory Roaster with Nescote¬ģ Non-Stick Cookwell
Old 07-20-2017, 09:50 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

+1 from here too Cheryl. My 6 qt. Nesco Roaster is the best purchase I ever made, more than 20 yrs ago!!

Old 07-21-2017, 11:00 AM   #25
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I doubt there is such a thing as a consistent recipe for slow cookers. There's just nothing consistent about a crockpot! The temp is always a mystery according to what brand it is, how old it is, what exactly is meant by "low" and "high" settings, it's really a crap shoot any way you look at it. For the life of me, I can't understand how they've been around so long. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.
I completely disagree, yes sometimes they are inconsistent between brands but once you know the one you have you can get a great result almost every time. During the fall and winter I use mine all the time, often running two at the same time. I would not want to be without mine.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:35 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman150 View Post
I completely disagree, yes sometimes they are inconsistent between brands but once you know the one you have you can get a great result almost every time. During the fall and winter I use mine all the time, often running two at the same time. I would not want to be without mine.
What points do you disagree with Bossman? My point is I want to be in total control of the heat, not the crockpot.
If you've never used a Nesco 6 qt. Roaster, you have no idea what you're missing with your crockpot loyalty.

Old 07-21-2017, 01:45 PM   #27
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
What points do you disagree with Bossman? My point is I want to be in total control of the heat, not the crockpot.
If you've never used a Nesco 6 qt. Roaster, you have no idea what you're missing with your crockpot loyalty.
I disagree that they are inconsistent. Once you learn your crockpot, unless it malfunctions, it should perform exactly the same every time. No, they are not perfect for everything. However having 6-8 meals in my rotation that I can throw together the night before and turn on when I wake up in the morning and be ready when supper time comes around is a god send. Not to mention making soups, chilis and stews and keeping them hot.

Edit: you do have me looking up the Nesco Roaster however...

Most recipes also should work well from crockpot to crockpot. I think part of the problem with this recipe too, is I did not do a good job explaining the preparation and cooking. I didn't explain that I make sure the cream cheese is softened and mix it together with the sour cream, soup and herbs before I put it in the crockpot, then I mix it well with the potatoes and kielbasa once its in the crockpot. I also stir it once an hour or so once it gets hot. Ro3bert didn't know that and I think it caused some if the issues he had. I am new to sharing recipes so hopefully I do a better job going forward.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:33 AM   #28
Master Chef

IMO, there is nothing that a crock pot can do that a dutch oven can't do, besides take up counter space. Everyone knows I leave our low and slow cooking to the Horizon and Egg.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:53 AM   #29
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman150 View Post
This is an easy meal to throw together the night before and turn on in the slow cooker when you get up in the morning. I actually prepare it right in the slow cooker insert and then stick in in the fridge for the next morning. It does not sound like much but it turns out wonderful.

2 lbs of Kielbasa, sliced very thin
3 lbs of potatoes cubed (I prefer Yukon Golds)
1 softened 8oz package of cream cheese
8oz of sour cream
1can cream of something soup
1 packet or 3 tablespoons of dry ranch mix
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp lemon pepper

Toss everything into the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Its a filling an hearty meal that tastes very good. The sauce I also use on meatballs to make kind of like Swedish meatballs.

Enjoy!
But you could knock this together in about 30 minutes in an ordinary pan. Don't get me wrong I love my (2) slow cookers but I only use them for casseroles, dried beans and anything that really requires long cooking.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:55 AM   #30
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro3bert View Post
My wife and I both love Kielbasa so I am going to make it tomorrow.

I have one question though, I've read/heard that one can substitute yogurt for sour cream and since I have plenty of yogurt (Greek) I'd like to use that in place of the sour cream.

Any thoughts?
Would need someting to stabilise it (flour or corn starch, perhaps) as yoghourt splits if cooked too hot or to long

Tags
cook, cream, potato, potatoes, recipe, slow cooker

Slow cooker creamy potatoes and Kielbasa This is an easy meal to throw together the night before and turn on in the slow cooker when you get up in the morning. I actually prepare it right in the slow cooker insert and then stick in in the fridge for the next morning. It does not sound like much but it turns out wonderful. 2 lbs of Kielbasa, sliced very thin 3 lbs of potatoes cubed (I prefer Yukon Golds) 1 softened 8oz package of cream cheese 8oz of sour cream 1can cream of something soup 1 packet or 3 tablespoons of dry ranch mix 1/2 tsp garlic powder 1 tsp lemon pepper Toss everything into the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Its a filling an hearty meal that tastes very good. The sauce I also use on meatballs to make kind of like Swedish meatballs. Enjoy!:chef: 3 stars 1 reviews