Slow cooker creamy potatoes and Kielbasa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've only done pot roasts in mine Ross, and they turn out great. Many years ago when I bought it, I could find a whole chicken small enough for the 6qt, but these days the whole chickens in the grocery are far too big for it. I know I wouldn't use a larger one than the 6qt often enough for just the two of us. I sure do remember my Gma's 18qt. Nesco Roaster Turkey though. It was the best ever! The company is even older than you and me. ;):-p
Thank you Kayelle :)

The reality is that for just Jeannie and myself, I only do single bone prime rib and chicken parts now.. I'm certain the the 6qt would be just fine..

If I have company, I can use the oven..

Ross

Ross, I've done about 3-4 lb. pork shoulder roasts for shredding in my 6 qt Nesco, that's about as big as it'll hold if I remember right. I think I might have even had to cut some to fit, from time to time. I've also made scalloped potatoes, pasta dishes, and soups and stews in the Nesco. The one thing that really turned me off about the newer single use slow cookers, is that they pretty much 'boil', rather than a nice slow simmer like the older ones used to do. Evidently 'they' decided that we are all of a sudden at risk for food poisoning and changed the regs for the settings, and IMO, ruined the basic idea of slow cooking.

Kay, my mother in law also had one of those 18 quart Nescos, and she always cooked the Thanksgiving turkeys in it. They were wonderful, and sure freed up the oven for other dishes.

Ross, I've done about 3-4 lb. pork shoulder roasts for shredding in my 6 qt Nesco, that's about as big as it'll hold if I remember right. I think I might have even had to cut some to fit, from time to time. I've also made scalloped potatoes, pasta dishes, and soups and stews in the Nesco. The one thing that really turned me off about the newer single use slow cookers, is that they pretty much 'boil', rather than a nice slow simmer like the older ones used to do. Evidently 'they' decided that we are all of a sudden at risk for food poisoning and changed the regs for the settings, and IMO, ruined the basic idea of slow cooking.

Kay, my mother in law also had one of those 18 quart Nescos, and she always cooked the Thanksgiving turkeys in it. They were wonderful, and sure freed up the oven for other dishes.

Cheryl,
That in bold is one reason I wish to go the roaster route.. While there are a lot of things I don't do as well as when I was younger, cooking is not one of them.. It seems that my slow cooker is often a crap shoot.. Like those who have posted here, I need to have better control over temps, etc.. Three to four pounds of most anything will be fine for us..
Thank you.. :)

Ross

I got a new crockpot for Christmas last year and while I like it for chili and soups, that's about all I use it for. It only has settings for 4hours, 6 hours, 8 hours or 10 hours and also a warm. So no high-low control. It's 7 qt which is nice for my chili but that's about the only thing I like about it. This Nesco roaster is looking like a nice replacement. Do those of you who have it use the porcelain insert or the non-stick? Also how do you determine temps for slow cooker use? I figure roasting would be like oven temps but not sure what numbers would correspond to the high-low temps of a crockpot.

I have the teflon insert, 6 qt. It's a Millennial special edition. On mine, the dial is marked in both temp °s, but also what range (slow cooker, roast, etc.) those temps cover. I really like that it can cook at very low and very high temps, along with everything in between.

Last edited:
I have the teflon insert, 6 qt. It's a Millennial special edition. On mine, the dial is marked in both temp °s, but also what range (slow cooker, roast, etc.) those temps cover. I really like that it can cook at very low and very high temps, along with everything in between.

Interesting.. Thank you... :)

I noticed that the 5qt is 600 watts and the 6qt models seem to be 750 watts..
Like with most things, I imagine that wattage is important..

Ross

I got a new crockpot for Christmas last year and while I like it for chili and soups, that's about all I use it for. It only has settings for 4hours, 6 hours, 8 hours or 10 hours and also a warm. So no high-low control. It's 7 qt which is nice for my chili but that's about the only thing I like about it. This Nesco roaster is looking like a nice replacement. Do those of you who have it use the porcelain insert or the non-stick? Also how do you determine temps for slow cooker use? I figure roasting would be like oven temps but not sure what numbers would correspond to the high-low temps of a crockpot.

I have the porcelain insert. I almost got the Teflon, but I was worried about it eventually chipping off at roasting temps. The porcelain insert is still pretty easy to clean if you put hot soapy water in it after use.

Unlike Dawg's, mine only has the temp #s on the dial. I figure around 225F is good for slow cooking, once the roast has browned at higher heat. I just keep an eye on it and sometimes have to dial it down a little towards the end of slow cooking.

I have the porcelain insert. I almost got the Teflon, but I was worried about it eventually chipping off at roasting temps. The porcelain insert is still pretty easy to clean if you put hot soapy water in it after use.

Unlike Dawg's, mine only has the temp #s on the dial. I figure around 225F is good for slow cooking, once the roast has browned at higher heat. I just keep an eye on it and sometimes have to dial it down a little towards the end of slow cooking.

I was wondering about Teflon vs porcelain.. Think I'll go porcelain too..

I was thinking 200 to 225 too..

Another question.. For a roast, is there any need for more liquid?.. With the slow cooker I add none for pot roast.. ( I use butter)

Ross

No need for any liquid Ross. Another great plus is you can make pan gravy from the drippings right in the cookwell. Haa..can't be done with a crockpot. I don't have a teflon liner as I'm sure it would be long gone after my 20 years of using it.
I see the pictures of the new dials have a guide with the temps.

Last edited:
No need for any liquid Ross. Another great plus is you can make pan gravy from the drippings right in the cookwell. Haa..can't be done with a crockpot. I don't have a teflon liner as I'm sure it would be long gone after my 20 years of using it.
I see the pictures of the new dials have a guide with the temps.

Thank you, Kayelle...

I just have to get used to the fact that I'm still slow cooking but doing so as I do in the oven.. and yeah.. Turn up the heat and make pan gravy...

Ross

Thanks for the input. I think the thrift store is going to get a nice crockpot to sell!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom