Slow cooker creamy potatoes and Kielbasa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bossman150

Cook
This is an easy meal to throw together the night before and turn on in the slow cooker when you get up in the morning. I actually prepare it right in the slow cooker insert and then stick in in the fridge for the next morning. It does not sound like much but it turns out wonderful.

2 lbs of Kielbasa, sliced very thin
3 lbs of potatoes cubed (I prefer Yukon Golds)
1 softened 8oz package of cream cheese
8oz of sour cream
1can cream of something soup
1 packet or 3 tablespoons of dry ranch mix
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp lemon pepper

Toss everything into the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Its a filling an hearty meal that tastes very good. The sauce I also use on meatballs to make kind of like Swedish meatballs.

Enjoy!:chef:

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife and I both love Kielbasa so I am going to make it tomorrow.

I have one question though, I've read/heard that one can substitute yogurt for sour cream and since I have plenty of yogurt (Greek) I'd like to use that in place of the sour cream.

Any thoughts?

My wife and I both love Kielbasa so I am going to make it tomorrow.

I have one question though, I've read/heard that one can substitute yogurt for sour cream and since I have plenty of yogurt (Greek) I'd like to use that in place of the sour cream.

Any thoughts?
I really don't see why you couldn't, I actually thought about it. I made it the other day and the taste was really really good but my fiancé thought it needed a bit more "liquid" for sauce. It burned a little in my slow cooker. I did stir it fairly often which is usually a no no for slow cookers but by the time we ate it was perfectly done. I also used red baby potato sliced because that's all I had!

I really don't see why you couldn't, I actually thought about it. I made it the other day and the taste was really really good but my fiancé thought it needed a bit more "liquid" for sauce. It burned a little in my slow cooker. I did stir it fairly often which is usually a no no for slow cookers but by the time we ate it was perfectly done. I also used red baby potato sliced because that's all I had!

Since it already has dairy, with the cream cheese/yogurt, you could add any kind of liquid dairy, like milk, half and half or cream, to thin it a bit.

Last edited:
Since it already has dairy, with the cream cheese/yogurt, you could add any kind of liquid dairy, like milk, half and half or cream, to thin it a bit.

That's what I was thinking, it did had a very good taste. What do you think about a splash of chicken broth?

Last edited:
Unflavored greek yogurt would be fine in place of the sour cream I think, it would just have a bit more tang. This should be a sauce consistency when done, I have never needed to add any liquid. I do use a slow cooker liner though, that may keep in more liquid then without. Also the max I have left it in is probably 6-7 hours, so if it was in longer it might have cooked down more. I hesitate to put times on slow cookers because they are all different. I think red potatoes take longer to cook then the gold ones I use as well, all could be factors.

Also I stir it quite a bit, I stir most things I cook in a slow cooker, never thought to mention that.:ohmy:

Edit:Just making sure, you didn't use turkey Kielbasa did you? Not enough fat in that.

Last edited:
Unflavored greek yogurt would be fine in place of the sour cream I think, it would just have a bit more tang. This should be a sauce consistency when done, I have never needed to add any liquid. I do use a slow cooker liner though, that may keep in more liquid then without. Also the max I have left it in is probably 6-7 hours, so if it was in longer it might have cooked down more. I hesitate to put times on slow cookers because they are all different. I think red potatoes take longer to cook then the gold ones I use as well, all could be factors.

Also I stir it quite a bit, I stir most things I cook in a slow cooker, never thought to mention that.:ohmy:

Edit:Just making sure, you didn't use turkey Kielbasa did you? Not enough fat in that.
No turkey kielbasa and I should have used a liner! Thanks, it was great tasting!

No turkey kielbasa and I should have used a liner! Thanks, it was great tasting!

Also it would not hurt anything to add a splash of milk or broth I don't think if there is not enough liquid.

I am lazy when it comes to cleanup, so I almost always use a liner except for chili or soups/stews. Gah, I am still craving chili. I hate to wish for fall though because then Winter would bee too close.

That's what I was thinking, it did had a very good taste. What do you think about a splash of chicken broth?

OM Gosh! I just realized I left out the cream of chicken soup! No wonder it was dry! Ok I feel dumb now :wacko:

It needs 1 can of cream of chicken/celery/mushroom, I usually use cream of chicken. I am so sorry!!!

So I guess yogurt it is. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.
mhuZizF.gif

OM Gosh! I just realized I left out the cream of chicken soup! No wonder it was dry! Ok I feel dumb now :wacko:

It needs 1 can of cream of chicken/celery/mushroom, I usually use cream of chicken. I am so sorry!!!

I added cream of something soup to your list of ingredients.

:LOL: it's completely ok! :wacko: sounds like something I would do!

Also it would not hurt anything to add a splash of milk or broth I don't think if there is not enough liquid.

I am lazy when it comes to cleanup, so I almost always use a liner except for chili or soups/stews. Gah, I am still craving chili. I hate to wish for fall though because then Winter would bee too close.

I'm making a pot of chili to take camping with us next week in the mountains. Tastes pretty good on a cool evening by the lake after the usual thunderstorm has passed.

I made this recipe yesterday (in a Hamilton-Beach Set and Forget), set the time on slow for 8 hours as suggested. When the time was up, spooned some onto a plate. It was delicious but the potatoes were not fully cooked, still a bit hard, just a bit beyond firm (used gold potatoes which I suppose are sometimes called Yukon Gold).

I also used Greek yogurt in place of sour cream; something of a mistake since I added it at the beginning forgetting that milk products tend to curdle if added at the beginning. Also had to stir about half way through cooking time as chunks of cream cheese hadn't melted.

Well, this is only the second meal I've prepared with a slow cooker so with time and experience I suspect things will get better.

Going to heat some up later in the microwave, maybe the potatoes will be a bit softer.

Last edited:
I made this recipe yesterday (in a Hamilton-Beach Set and Forget), set the time on slow for 8 hours as suggested. When the time was up, spooned some onto a plate. It was delicious but the potatoes were not fully cooked, still a bit hard, just a bit beyond firm (used gold potatoes which I suppose are sometimes called Yukon Gold).

I also used Greek yogurt in place of sour cream; something of a mistake since I added it at the beginning forgetting that milk products tend to curdle if added at the beginning. Also had to stir about half way through cooking time as chunks of cream cheese hadn't melted.

Well, this is only the second meal I've prepared with a slow cooker so with time and experience I suspect things will get better.

Going to heat some up later in the microwave, maybe the potatoes will be a bit softer.

Wow the potatoes should have been done in that time, even if they were cut big. I would cut them smaller next time to see if that helps. I only had that issue one time and it was when I used some red potatoes, but they just had a really firm texture no matter how long I cooked them. The Yukon golds usually are nice and done after even just 6-7 hours. I also stir this one every hour or so after the first 3 hours.

Wow the potatoes should have been done in that time, even if they were cut big. I would cut them smaller next time to see if that helps. I only had that issue one time and it was when I used some red potatoes, but they just had a really firm texture no matter how long I cooked them. The Yukon golds usually are nice and done after even just 6-7 hours. I also stir this one every hour or so after the first 3 hours.

That's what I thought too so was surprised at the outcome. There was one other thing I neglected to mention; the cream cheese never seems to have integrated itself into the food, there were still very small chunks that stuck to forks and knives. Wasn't particularly concerned just noticed it and thought it should have completely melted. Maybe that is related to introducing the yogurt at the beginning.

I reluctantly stirred it at some point after seeing chunks of cream cheese still sitting on top. As I understand it as a neophyte slow cooker user one shouldn't take the top off the cooker at anytime during the cooking process (heat loss and all that). I guess I'll have to modify my thinking from now on.

Again, it is rather tasty, I put the leftovers in the refrigerator so we have a few meals to go with it before I try another recipe and there are more I want to try.

My cooker is a Hamiltpn-Beach Set and Forget with a glass top so I can see what's cooking, well, through the condensation that is.

My potatoes were definitely done in that time (I sliced them thin) and I did stir quite a bit but I didn't let my cream cheese soften up as much as I should have. I'll definitely make it again! Just the right way lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom