"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Slow Cookers

Old 07-02-2012, 12:17 PM   #11
Head Chef

Here's a better link :

365 Days of Slow Cooking: March Madness Day 9: Slow Cooker Chicken and Mushrooms

You can even "Poach" salmon or steam artichokes in your slow cooker. (I've made salmon & baby bok choy, and it was delish.)

Simple Poached Salmon Recipe at Epicurious.com

Old 07-02-2012, 12:55 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

tonight while i sleep im going to try this and see how it turns out for my meals tomorrow

8pm start cooking
4am finish cooking

simple Chicken Casserole

going to dump

1kg dices chicken
1.5kg dices potatoes
1kg carrots
2 chicken OX + 1pt water
2 large onions

into the slow cooker on low heat for 8hours from fresh raw and see how it comes out, hope its ok as its my food for packup all day tomorrow lol. then tomorrow afternoon ill go buy herbs ect to spice it up for next time

Old 07-02-2012, 12:57 PM   #13
Head Chef

Hi Damien,
Welcome to DC.

Josie
Old 07-02-2012, 01:03 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie1945 View Post
Hi Damien,
Welcome to DC.

Josie

hi this place is quite friendly isnt it, thankyou

damien
Old 07-02-2012, 05:47 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

just about to hit the hay and my food is looking good. its been in for 2:45h on low now and the water levels are just below half level on my 6.5liter cooker, so should not dry out over night

the chicken is white now and the veggy are getting softer so all looks good, i cant wait now should make for a good meal for work :)
Old 07-02-2012, 06:13 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

One thing about chicken, it doesn't take as long to cook as other stuff in the CP. Looking forward to your report! You could also cook some noodles, add some broth or stock, and extend your recipe into soup once it comes out of the CP. (Crockpot).
Old 07-03-2012, 12:24 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

well 8hours cooking on low worked just fine the potatoes and veggy were perfect soft all way though but still no signs of mushiness, and chicken fall apart in my mouth which was nice, only down side i have is it was bland and not very saucy, their were enough water to make a thin gravy which i did this time but it wasent as nice as if i stuck a jar of casserole sauce in their

how would i make my own casserole sauces as i assume itll be alot less costly to make my own than using a few jars daily?

ps
on a side note i got 5 my size portions out of this pot which is perfect, im going to buy another tonight so that i can make 10 portions of food and only have to use them every other day, so just had one for breakfast and it was quite nice with rice i just have to sort out my herbs and flavoring now, then ill be cooking again tonight :)
Old 07-03-2012, 12:31 AM   #18
Master Chef

When I was young and working, I never pre-cooked anything I put in the crock-pot. To me, the main reason for pre-cooking is to brown things, onions, beef, especially. That adds a lot of visual appeal, and some depth of flavor. But in fact the food will taste fine without that first step, which was the point of the electric crock pot to begin with! Just give it a try.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:49 AM   #19
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Shake your raw meat portions in flour or corn starch to add thickening to your sauce. You don't have to add a lot of liquid to the crock pot, usually only one or two cups is needed. Season with a little salt and pepper at first, then in the last bit of cooking, 30 minutes or so, then add herbs and other seasonings to taste. A corn starch slurry at the end will also add thickening.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:12 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMIEN666 View Post
well 8hours cooking on low worked just fine the potatoes and veggy were perfect soft all way though but still no signs of mushiness, and chicken fall apart in my mouth which was nice, only down side i have is it was bland and not very saucy, their were enough water to make a thin gravy which i did this time but it wasent as nice as if i stuck a jar of casserole sauce in their

how would i make my own casserole sauces as i assume itll be alot less costly to make my own than using a few jars daily?

ps
on a side note i got 5 my size portions out of this pot which is perfect, im going to buy another tonight so that i can make 10 portions of food and only have to use them every other day, so just had one for breakfast and it was quite nice with rice i just have to sort out my herbs and flavoring now, then ill be cooking again tonight :)
I am glad to hear your first attempt was a success. And we are not through with you yet. The folks here at DC have tons of advice to give you just for the asking. We will have you cooking gourmet meals.

Tags
cooking