"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Slow Cookers

Old 07-01-2012, 05:57 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Slow Cooker - is there a no prep cooking way?

hi all first post and im a guy who cooks well but new to slow cooking, just got my self a 6.5lt slow cooker as time is short for me after work and i want to cook all my foods during work time in this device without having to prep much in the morning.. now i was told that i can bung everything in the slow cooker and leave it but after buying it the cook book states i should precook meats and brown them off WTF i want quickness not 20min every morning pre cooking to cook all day..

QUESTION
-is their a way to bung all raw foods into it and cook fully in the device, i want to cook curry,stews,casseroles,chilly and stuff like this that i can add to rice/pasta

any advice is welcome and thankyou

damien

Old 07-01-2012, 08:20 AM   #2
Head Chef

You can just throw it all in, it just won't brown in the slow cooker.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:31 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndalou View Post
You can just throw it all in, it just won't brown in the slow cooker.
lynda's right 666,just chuck it all in.they also make the best pulled pork/brisket.just wack on your favourite rub/marinade,throw it in the cooker(no liquid,no stock.....nothing) on with the lid,low setting all day....enjoy!
oh yeah,welcome to dc from manchester uk
Old 07-01-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
Master Chef

Agree with the responses. I've even thrown in some frozen boneless chicken and it comes out nice and tender after cooking all day.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:42 PM   #5
Sous Chef

On a day when you have some time, cook up and season a giant package of Costco meat (hamburger, stew meat, etc.), bag it up in portions and freeze already cooked flat in a zip bag. (A flat bag will thaw fast) In the a.m. toss the frozen bag in the micro wave on defrost while you get the veggies ready, then toss the cooked meat and your veggies into the crock pot/slow cooker and head out to work. If you have a stash of already cooked seasoned hamburger you're also ready for other things like tacos or any dish that requires cooked and seasoned hamburger. That system has worked great for me for decades.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:56 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I never precook anything, just fling it in the CP.

BTW, welcome to DC!
Old 07-01-2012, 04:38 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

WOW this forum came though for me, thankyou guys/galls

ok can some of you help with some recipes please, now normally i use sauces ie if i make a stew i use gravy or for curry i use curry sauce, if i have time i make my own with paste and yogurts ect, but im not sure how these will work in the slow cooker with 8hours of cooking

can someone provide me recipes for the following using stuff like ox cubes ect as im not sure how gravy and sauces will be effected wont they get super thick or dry?

please provide me with basic recipes for the following style of foods, and ill add extras to spice them up,

stews
casseroles
chilli-con
curry

thankyou all for the help
Old 07-01-2012, 04:44 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Check out the whole slow cooker thread where you've already posted. There are recipes for everything!
Old 07-01-2012, 10:32 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Just remember all foods have some water in them. Even veggies. After cooking all day in the CP, you will have plenty of gravy to do what you want to with it. The food will release it moisture, yet won't be dry as they will be cooking in the released moisture. The meat will provide the basis for a gravy and will flavor the veggies. Just lightly season your meat.

Welcome to DC.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:42 AM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMIEN666 View Post
hi all first post and im a guy who cooks well but new to slow cooking, just got my self a 6.5lt slow cooker as time is short for me after work and i want to cook all my foods during work time in this device without having to prep much in the morning.. now i was told that i can bung everything in the slow cooker and leave it but after buying it the cook book states i should precook meats and brown them off WTF i want quickness not 20min every morning pre cooking to cook all day..

QUESTION
-is their a way to bung all raw foods into it and cook fully in the device, i want to cook curry,stews,casseroles,chilly and stuff like this that i can add to rice/pasta

any advice is welcome and thankyou

damien
It depends on what you're cooking.

Sear/brown roasts first & trim as much fat as possible from poultry, or you end up with a pot full of fat & beige/bland food. A defatting cup helps too.

If you are pressed for time, you could prep the night before.

Here are some sites that might be helpful:

365 Days of Slow Cooking

A Year of Slow Cooking

Tags
cooking