Slow cooker liners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll be honest & say that while doing dishes is definitely not at the top of my hit parade, I never find cleaning the crockpot a chore at all.

Mine has, like I imagine all of the new ones do these days, a lift-out crockery center. After use, I simply place it in the sink & fill it with hot soapy water to overflowing & leave it overnight. Next morning all I need do is wipe it out with my usual plastic dish/scrub pad. No elbow grease required at all.

I definitely have no plans to spend money on plastic liners for it.

I figure these kinds of things out based on time spent.

If I make, say, $20 an hour (just a round number) and it takes me 5 minutes to clean that pot, then I've just lost money, because at that rate I would make $.33 a minute, or $1.67 for that 5 minutes. If I spent $1 for the bag, and it took me a minute to take the bag out and put it in the trash, it just cost me $1.33, so I've saved money.

I do the same thing to justify paying somebody $40 to mow my lawn. :mrgreen:

Ah, but how much money did you spend sitting down & figuring all that out - LOL!!!

If I sat down & figured out how much "money" I was losing or was worth between cooking, cleaning, gardening, taking care of 7 horses, 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cockatoo, & other miscellaneous chores, I'd probably want to hang myself from the shower curtain rod - lol!! Life is way too short to think about things that way.

Actually, when I think about it, washing the crockpot is probably one of the more relaxing chores I have - lol!!

Who said I sit down and figure it out? I work in HR. Salaries, hourly wages and cost effectiveness are just a day at the office for me. :mrgreen:

Ah ha - so it's your COMPANY that's losing the money while you're sitting figuring this out - :LOL:

Really, Phinz, I'm just teasing you. :)

I'm all for timesaving items, as well as for whatever makes cooks "happy cooks", although crockpot liners won't be one of mine. I'm sure I use a lot of stuff, though, that others would pooh-pooh at.

:) Im leary about cooking any thing in plastic.Ive never had a problem with cleaning it ,Im with breezy just get it done .

lmw80 said:
I have this habit of letting my crock pot sit, usually cause we are watching a movie as we are eating. I usually use my crockpot on Sunday....just throw everything in it and it does all the work! So for me, the liners help me because it helps me to be "lazy" on Sundays :LOL: They are very much worth it in my opinion for those dishes where you know it's gonna be a pain to clean.

I'm with you, Lori, and with the others who think it's worth an extra buck to make something as slow-going and easy as crockpot-cooking even more pleasant. Sometimes the dishes I make result in baked-on crud that is the only bad part about using my crock.

And I love your avatar! I'm a beach fan, too!

Lee

QSis said:
And I love your avatar! I'm a beach fan, too!
Lee

Thanks! Took that in Florida the day before my brother's wedding, I couldn't believe I took such a good picture!! Which brings me to my sister-in-law...she does not think spending the money on crockpot liners is worth the money. They are always tight on money and they can't afford it.

Here is what I am starting to wonder...

My Crock Pot is pretty big. I know it takes a LOT of water to wash it, at least when I cook something that really gets baked on their good. not to mention the soap costs (which really isn't a lot, but still). Do I use more and $1 in water and soap cleaning it? If I do then the liners are actually a less expensive way to go.

I look at it this way - my time is worth it! I got so much going on right now - there is nothing better than lifting and throwing away - done! On to the next chore!

Your Money Or Your Life by Joe Dominguez

My Crock Pot is pretty big. I know it takes a LOT of water to wash it, at least when I cook something that really gets baked on their good. not to mention the soap costs (which really isn't a lot, but still). Do I use more and $1 in water and soap cleaning it? If I do then the liners are actually a less expensive way to go]

I love this kind of thinking, I do it all the time. At my house, the cost would be under one penny ($.01) to wash the crock pot.

I have spent decades thinking like this. In regards to an earlier post, when determing your true wages, it involves much more than dividing your net pay by the hours you worked. You must subtract from your net pay all of your job related expenses....clothes purchased for the job, dry cleaning bills, time you spend getting ready for work, transportation time, etc. Let me recommend a book that was on the best seller list for many months, years?, in the early 1990's. I am sure a lot of you are familiar with this book, but in case some younger people are not, the title is, Your Money Or Your Life, by by Joe Dominguez and Vicki Robin. For me, it was a life changing book. One of the many things this book does is it explain how to figure your true wages. You may think you are making $20./hr but it may come as a shock you are making much less than that. Amazon.com has about 100 copies right now and even my tiny library has it. It is considered the number one book ever written for financial awareness.

Last edited:
I haven't used the liners yet - I did buy some and will use them for sure when I make something messy. I don't mind paying the price if it is a good value - I can always save on something else - like all the things I should not be eating anyway. There are only the 2 of us most of the time so lots of room for other decisions.

You still have to wash your crock after using those bags, so you are only saving a little time and losing food and money. The stuff I cook that sticks wouldn't fair well in one of those bags and I'd be tossing more than getting because it'd be stuck to the bag. And I'd still have to wash the crock because of my fear of hidden bacteria left from any possible leaks.

I have never had to wash the crock after using one of the bags. I am not sure why you would think you need to?

GB said:
I have never had to wash the crock after using one of the bags. I am not sure why you would think you need to?
Bacteria. Unless you are going to use them all the time, you have to wash the crock at least enough to get any hidden bacteria. My SIL is a chef and had to take safety classes and things like bags and liners were addressed and the horror stories they told us (I went with her) was enough to scare me to wash everything even what looks clean before using it.

GB said:
I am confused. How can stuff get though the bag if there are no leaks?
The class we took was in CA and was a health and safety class. If you use liners, you still have to clean was what we were told because you can't see bacteria and you don't know what could seap from the bags or aluminum foil or what not. They just told us to wash everything to avoid possible bacteria. He said you may not see a leak but there could be seapage you wouldn't know about. I'd just rather not chance it. I'd be curious if the package says to rinse with water after use.

Back
Top Bottom