"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Slow Cookers

Old 04-18-2006, 02:55 PM   #21
Master Chef

I'll be honest & say that while doing dishes is definitely not at the top of my hit parade, I never find cleaning the crockpot a chore at all.

Mine has, like I imagine all of the new ones do these days, a lift-out crockery center. After use, I simply place it in the sink & fill it with hot soapy water to overflowing & leave it overnight. Next morning all I need do is wipe it out with my usual plastic dish/scrub pad. No elbow grease required at all.

I definitely have no plans to spend money on plastic liners for it.

Old 04-18-2006, 03:12 PM   #22
Head Chef

I figure these kinds of things out based on time spent.

If I make, say, $20 an hour (just a round number) and it takes me 5 minutes to clean that pot, then I've just lost money, because at that rate I would make $.33 a minute, or $1.67 for that 5 minutes. If I spent $1 for the bag, and it took me a minute to take the bag out and put it in the trash, it just cost me $1.33, so I've saved money.

I do the same thing to justify paying somebody $40 to mow my lawn.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 03:35 PM   #23
Master Chef

Ah, but how much money did you spend sitting down & figuring all that out - LOL!!!

If I sat down & figured out how much "money" I was losing or was worth between cooking, cleaning, gardening, taking care of 7 horses, 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cockatoo, & other miscellaneous chores, I'd probably want to hang myself from the shower curtain rod - lol!! Life is way too short to think about things that way.

Actually, when I think about it, washing the crockpot is probably one of the more relaxing chores I have - lol!!
Old 04-18-2006, 04:58 PM   #24
Head Chef

Who said I sit down and figure it out? I work in HR. Salaries, hourly wages and cost effectiveness are just a day at the office for me.

Old 04-18-2006, 05:21 PM   #25
Master Chef

Ah ha - so it's your COMPANY that's losing the money while you're sitting figuring this out -

Really, Phinz, I'm just teasing you.

I'm all for timesaving items, as well as for whatever makes cooks "happy cooks", although crockpot liners won't be one of mine. I'm sure I use a lot of stuff, though, that others would pooh-pooh at.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:05 PM   #26
Head Chef

I know you're kidding. It got a giggle out of me too.

Old 04-19-2006, 01:41 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Im leary about cooking any thing in plastic.Ive never had a problem with cleaning it ,Im with breezy just get it done .
Old 04-19-2006, 02:15 PM   #28
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmw80
I have this habit of letting my crock pot sit, usually cause we are watching a movie as we are eating. I usually use my crockpot on Sunday....just throw everything in it and it does all the work! So for me, the liners help me because it helps me to be "lazy" on Sundays They are very much worth it in my opinion for those dishes where you know it's gonna be a pain to clean.
I'm with you, Lori, and with the others who think it's worth an extra buck to make something as slow-going and easy as crockpot-cooking even more pleasant. Sometimes the dishes I make result in baked-on crud that is the only bad part about using my crock.

And I love your avatar! I'm a beach fan, too!

Lee
Old 04-20-2006, 09:31 AM   #29
Cook

Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis
And I love your avatar! I'm a beach fan, too!
Lee
Thanks! Took that in Florida the day before my brother's wedding, I couldn't believe I took such a good picture!! Which brings me to my sister-in-law...she does not think spending the money on crockpot liners is worth the money. They are always tight on money and they can't afford it.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:38 AM   #30
Chief Eating Officer

Here is what I am starting to wonder...

My Crock Pot is pretty big. I know it takes a LOT of water to wash it, at least when I cook something that really gets baked on their good. not to mention the soap costs (which really isn't a lot, but still). Do I use more and $1 in water and soap cleaning it? If I do then the liners are actually a less expensive way to go.

Tags
None