"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Slow Cookers

Old 08-28-2006, 04:33 PM   #41
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
I will have to take a look when I get home.
I did look on the site and there's kind of a round about "we aren't saying don't, we aren't saying do" type wording. It simply says "avoid messy clean up" so I'd be curious what the instructions say about the pot. And please, don't think I'm arguing with you, I just passed on what they told us and my fear of bacteria.

Old 08-28-2006, 07:47 PM   #42
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephora
And please, don't think I'm arguing with you
Nope I didn't think that for a second. I appreciate your information!

I just looked at the box and all it really says is "easy cleanup with no soaking or scrubbing". I notice they do not say that they do not need to be washed though. I would think that they would push that if they could so your point seems valid.

Old 08-28-2006, 08:17 PM   #43
Assistant Cook

Send a message via MSN to cookielady Send a message via Yahoo to cookielady
I just use regular cooking bags as liners for my crockpot. I still wipe out the crockpot, but I don't have to soak it and I don't have to clean it while it is still warm so I love them. Another thing is that in my experience you need to fill the crockpot with water to cook some foods. With the bag. I put in NO water, unless I am making soup or stew. Close up the bag and cook it all day. I just make turkey breast today.. It holds in the flavor and makes it easy to clean up and serve. I cut the bag open so I can lay it flat to serve out of it so I don't loose any of my food.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:20 PM   #44
Assistant Cook

Send a message via MSN to cookielady Send a message via Yahoo to cookielady
oh another thing, if you really like bags. You can buy them in bulk for about 40 cents each...http://www.pansaver.com/ecommerce/ov...roductlist.php
Old 08-28-2006, 09:04 PM   #45
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Nope I didn't think that for a second. I appreciate your information!
Thanks. I've had a couple bad experiences lately when I shared my knowledge. I tend to forget it's summer and kids run rampent on some boards.

I guess my logic tells me if they say "no soaking or scrubbing" you still have to throw some hot water and soap in it for sanitary sake. That class was really interesting. I recommend taking a food safety class to everyone.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:14 PM   #46
Head Chef

They sell "slow cooker" linings at all major markets. I live in the San Fernando Valley and I called Ralphs, Albertsons and Vons and they all have then in stock. They are made by Reynolds and as soon as you have finished cooking in your Crock Pot just throw them away.

They are great and there is no washing to do.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:22 AM   #47
Assistant Cook

Crockpot Liners

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
I know that in my store the crock pot liners are 4 liners for $4. I did find a coupon though that was 50% off.
You're talking about reynolds right? I live in Rockland county, NY and there's a brand in the stores here called Cookinacrock that sells 10 bags for $3.69. I haven't seen them anywhere else though. But they have a site that you can order from Cook in a Crock .com
Old 03-11-2007, 11:07 AM   #48
Executive Chef

I bought a box of these, but I still have yet to use one.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:17 AM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I have an older crock-pot. (Bought it in about 1970 when they first came on the scene.) It is large, 5-quart, and doesn't have a removable "crock." Some dishes that I cook in it can get quite cooked on and I have tried the liners. I like them very much.

I went to the Reynolds website and was able to have a free sample sent to me. I don't know if the offer still exists but it might be worth checking. Anyone interested in "trying before buying" might want to do that.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:01 AM   #50
Senior Cook

I've used the Reynolds liners (and I did notice they seem to be oven bags without the zipties...) for a while and they make cleanup a lot easier, especially if you have something that tends to stick. Also they make applesauce a lot easier to transfer to large bowls for storage... just lift it out, cut off a corner and let it drain. Of course, you COULD also make a big mess like this, so caution is required.

On the Cook in a Crock liners... are they of a similar size and quality (or better?) to the Reynolds liners? They DO look a lot more economical...

Tags
None