Slow cooker liners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GB said:
I will have to take a look when I get home.
I did look on the site and there's kind of a round about "we aren't saying don't, we aren't saying do" type wording. It simply says "avoid messy clean up" so I'd be curious what the instructions say about the pot. And please, don't think I'm arguing with you, I just passed on what they told us and my fear of bacteria.

Sephora said:
And please, don't think I'm arguing with you
Nope I didn't think that for a second. I appreciate your information!

I just looked at the box and all it really says is "easy cleanup with no soaking or scrubbing". I notice they do not say that they do not need to be washed though. I would think that they would push that if they could so your point seems valid.

I just use regular cooking bags as liners for my crockpot. I still wipe out the crockpot, but I don't have to soak it and I don't have to clean it while it is still warm so I love them. Another thing is that in my experience you need to fill the crockpot with water to cook some foods. With the bag. I put in NO water, unless I am making soup or stew. Close up the bag and cook it all day. I just make turkey breast today.. It holds in the flavor and makes it easy to clean up and serve. I cut the bag open so I can lay it flat to serve out of it so I don't loose any of my food.

GB said:
Nope I didn't think that for a second. I appreciate your information!
Thanks. I've had a couple bad experiences lately when I shared my knowledge. I tend to forget it's summer and kids run rampent on some boards. :LOL:

I guess my logic tells me if they say "no soaking or scrubbing" you still have to throw some hot water and soap in it for sanitary sake. That class was really interesting. I recommend taking a food safety class to everyone.

They sell "slow cooker" linings at all major markets. I live in the San Fernando Valley and I called Ralphs, Albertsons and Vons and they all have then in stock. They are made by Reynolds and as soon as you have finished cooking in your Crock Pot just throw them away.

They are great and there is no washing to do.

Crockpot Liners

GB said:
I know that in my store the crock pot liners are 4 liners for $4. I did find a coupon though that was 50% off.

You're talking about reynolds right? I live in Rockland county, NY and there's a brand in the stores here called Cookinacrock that sells 10 bags for $3.69. I haven't seen them anywhere else though. But they have a site that you can order from Cook in a Crock .com

I have an older crock-pot. (Bought it in about 1970 when they first came on the scene.) It is large, 5-quart, and doesn't have a removable "crock." Some dishes that I cook in it can get quite cooked on and I have tried the liners. I like them very much.

I went to the Reynolds website and was able to have a free sample sent to me. I don't know if the offer still exists but it might be worth checking. Anyone interested in "trying before buying" might want to do that.

I've used the Reynolds liners (and I did notice they seem to be oven bags without the zipties...) for a while and they make cleanup a lot easier, especially if you have something that tends to stick. Also they make applesauce a lot easier to transfer to large bowls for storage... just lift it out, cut off a corner and let it drain. Of course, you COULD also make a big mess like this, so caution is required.

On the Cook in a Crock liners... are they of a similar size and quality (or better?) to the Reynolds liners? They DO look a lot more economical...

Correct me if I am wrong, here, and I may very well be, but aren't these bags basically made form some sort of plastic? And again, is that what we want to be cooking our food in?

I have just about stopped microwaving my food, and if I do feel the need, I do so in a glass container.

Wloudn't it be healtheir to avoid the bags for a bit of extra elbow grease? Just askin'. I know many of us feel the need for convience, but at what cost. I am making changes in my kitchen, but in baby steps, I have not gone in adone all these changes in one day...that would be insane :wacko:

Not all plastics are bad for you if you cook in them. These bags are not leaching anything into your food. Cooking in a microwave is not bad for you either. There is a lot of misinformation floating about these two things.

I agree with GB. Plastics made for cooking are not at issue. They are safe.

The microwave is a completely safe device for cooking. It does nothing to your food except get it hot.

Some people enjoy spreading misinformation on the internet to get people stirred up about perfectly safe products. Limiting yourself to reliable sources is the best bet.

The class we took was in CA and was a health and safety class. If you use liners, you still have to clean was what we were told because you can't see bacteria and you don't know what could seap from the bags or aluminum foil or what not. They just told us to wash everything to avoid possible bacteria. He said you may not see a leak but there could be seapage you wouldn't know about. I'd just rather not chance it. I'd be curious if the package says to rinse with water after use.
If we have to wash everything to avoid possible bacteria, what does that mean for my perfectly seasoned heavy cast iron skillet which never sees soap and water? :ohmy: Or, we might be comparing apples and oranges here.
--Dani

The crockpot liners are definitely handy when you have taken your crockpot somewhere that does not have a place to clean it up. I almost hated taking my crockpot to work for potlucks because I would have to bring it home all crusty. Now I just lift out the bag and throw it in the trash. When I get home I give the crockpot a wash because of all the hands that have touched it and the lid, but no soaking required. At home I use the liners when cooking a recipe that is particularly messy. I definitely think the liners are worth the price.

My grocery store doesn't have the liners. I keep forgetting to see about them in another store. I'd follow the directions on the package, whatever that says.

Walmart has cooking bags. I think these are great!!

Crock pot bags are made out of a nylon resins, made out of the same stuff oven bags are made of. I personally love them, I try not to use them every time, they are somewhat expensive I will switch off with foil, depends on how energetic I am to clean a crock pot.

i am certainly going to check into the liners. i hate, hate, hate to scrub the crock-pot.

i used the cooking bags in the past and liked them as well. hardly ever cook anything that large anymore . unless i am having company, so the cost versus the connivance would be just fine.

babe:chef:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom