"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Slow Cookers
Old 12-28-2007, 09:51 AM   #51
Correct me if I am wrong, here, and I may very well be, but aren't these bags basically made form some sort of plastic? And again, is that what we want to be cooking our food in?

I have just about stopped microwaving my food, and if I do feel the need, I do so in a glass container.

Wloudn't it be healtheir to avoid the bags for a bit of extra elbow grease? Just askin'. I know many of us feel the need for convience, but at what cost. I am making changes in my kitchen, but in baby steps, I have not gone in adone all these changes in one day...that would be insane

I cook what I like because I like what I cook!

The Cooking Lady
Treklady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:55 AM   #52
Chief Eating Officer
Not all plastics are bad for you if you cook in them. These bags are not leaching anything into your food. Cooking in a microwave is not bad for you either. There is a lot of misinformation floating about these two things.

You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 10:12 AM   #53
Certified Pretend Chef
I agree with GB. Plastics made for cooking are not at issue. They are safe.

The microwave is a completely safe device for cooking. It does nothing to your food except get it hot.

Some people enjoy spreading misinformation on the internet to get people stirred up about perfectly safe products. Limiting yourself to reliable sources is the best bet.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:10 PM   #54
Assistant Cook
Originally Posted by Sephora View Post
The class we took was in CA and was a health and safety class. If you use liners, you still have to clean was what we were told because you can't see bacteria and you don't know what could seap from the bags or aluminum foil or what not. They just told us to wash everything to avoid possible bacteria. He said you may not see a leak but there could be seapage you wouldn't know about. I'd just rather not chance it. I'd be curious if the package says to rinse with water after use.
If we have to wash everything to avoid possible bacteria, what does that mean for my perfectly seasoned heavy cast iron skillet which never sees soap and water? Or, we might be comparing apples and oranges here.
KISS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:04 PM   #55
Master Chef
The crockpot liners are definitely handy when you have taken your crockpot somewhere that does not have a place to clean it up. I almost hated taking my crockpot to work for potlucks because I would have to bring it home all crusty. Now I just lift out the bag and throw it in the trash. When I get home I give the crockpot a wash because of all the hands that have touched it and the lid, but no soaking required. At home I use the liners when cooking a recipe that is particularly messy. I definitely think the liners are worth the price.
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 04:31 PM   #56
Assistant Cook
Originally Posted by licia View Post
My grocery store doesn't have the liners. I keep forgetting to see about them in another store. I'd follow the directions on the package, whatever that says.
Walmart has cooking bags. I think these are great!!
melt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 04:39 PM   #57
Assistant Cook
Crock pot bags are made out of a nylon resins, made out of the same stuff oven bags are made of. I personally love them, I try not to use them every time, they are somewhat expensive I will switch off with foil, depends on how energetic I am to clean a crock pot.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:49 PM   #58
Sous Chef
Melt, I think I get a bag of 20 for $1.59.
MostlyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 05:02 PM   #59
Assistant Cook
Originally Posted by MostlyWater View Post
Melt, I think I get a bag of 20 for $1.59.

Wow!!! Where????
Old 08-31-2008, 10:18 PM   #60
Chef Extraordinaire
i am certainly going to check into the liners. i hate, hate, hate to scrub the crock-pot.

i used the cooking bags in the past and liked them as well. hardly ever cook anything that large anymore . unless i am having company, so the cost versus the connivance would be just fine.

"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote