Slow cooker size?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wendyt

Assistant Cook
I have not yet searched the recipes on this particular site, but I have noticed that most slow cooker recipes don't specify what SIZE the slow cooker they are using is. What do you do if for ex. your slow cooker is a 3 1/2 quart and it turns out the recipe you are following is actually for a 5 qt. or larger slow cooker? I had a larger one at one time (5 qt., I think) and it seemed like if I didn't have it mostly full it didn't work or turn out quite as well. I would like to get another 3 1/2 qt. crock pot and stick with that. Does anyone know of a good place to find crock pot recipes where they actually do specify the size of the slow cooker?

Thanks

Wendy

The first thing you have to think about is how large your family/friends are! My crock pots were all of the smaller (used to be the only size) size available (I think the 3 qts you mentioned). Now I don't even own one, I have a slow cook burner on my stove and just use my smaller stock pot (I think I have both a 3 qt and a 5 qt). When I need a crock pot for a recipe, I actually call my network of friends and borrow one (this is when I am serving said friends and want to keep things warm in the dining room). If your recipe calls for a larger pot, simply halve it if your pot is smaller. If you have more than 2 kids (or cook for larger groups regularly), buy the larger pot.

I had to check mine, but 3 to 3-1/2 qt. is about standard size. Being single, the one I use the most is a 1-1/2 qt. Rival, and I simply cut in half most recipes.

All of the recipes I've found fit my 3 qt. just fine, but many of them also state what size crock pot they are written for.

As for recipes... For my taste, I haven't found any single source with a useful selection of slow cooker recipes. I've had to copy mine into a text file one at a time as I come across one that sounds good. Sorry!

If you find a good site, I would like to know as well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom