"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Slow Cookers

Old 04-25-2007, 03:34 PM   #21
Sous Chef

I believe the new slow cookers run at higher temperatures because of concerns over food safety - food being held at too low of a temp for too long.

Old 04-25-2007, 03:56 PM   #22
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by PytnPlace
I believe the new slow cookers run at higher temperatures because of concerns over food safety - food being held at too low of a temp for too long.
Paranoia and mass hysteria rule the world these days.

My slow cooker was a wedding gift way back in in 19forgotten, and it still works the same way it did when I took it out of the box. If I set it on low, it cooks slowly, if I set it on high, it cooks quickly, and if I put it on auto, it cooks on high for 30 minutes, then switches to low until I turn it off. I have used it often over the years, both to cook dinner and to bring stuff for potlucks at work, and nobody's died yet. I don't even remember anyone getting sick.

Old 04-25-2007, 07:30 PM   #23
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob
Miss Elaine...

"Crock Pot" is a registered trademark of the Rival Company. Any other company making a slow cooker obviously cannot use the name. Instead they call their product a "slow cooker" A Crock Pot made my Rival is a slow cooker.

Enjoy
Interesting! Kinda like Kleenex. I always ask for a Kleenex instead of a tissue. And Q-Tip . . . instead of cotton swab. Any other examples?
Old 04-25-2007, 08:15 PM   #24
Executive Chef

One thing they do great is beans,Ive also made ribs in them and brisket really good and the point of these cookers is you can put in what you want to cook go to work or what ever and dinner is done when you are ready.
No mess no fuss.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:43 PM   #25
Sous Chef

csalt, Thank you for the web site. I now have it in my Favorites. Thanks again. Aria
Old 04-27-2007, 12:24 PM   #26
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancer in the kitchen
Interesting! Kinda like Kleenex. I always ask for a Kleenex instead of a tissue. And Q-Tip . . . instead of cotton swab. Any other examples?
Vaseline, Band-Aid, Dumpster, Frisbee... Big list of genericized trademarks here, pretty fun to read:
List of generic and genericized trademarks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 06-25-2007, 07:04 AM   #27
Assistant Cook

Send a message via ICQ to jessejazza Send a message via AIM to jessejazza Send a message via MSN to jessejazza Send a message via Yahoo to jessejazza
Query: i've wondered if the term "slow cooker" applied to the smaller ones i.e. <3.5 litre for cooking one type of food at a time. The larger ones i.e. >= 6 litre as a "crockpot" as one puts a whole meal in there e.g. chicken with vegetables.

My idea that's all.

Tags
None