Slow cooking beef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trudyg66

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone,

I am still new to using a slow cooker and I am in the process of cooking beef chunks in my slow cooker. I have tasted it and it seems to be done, but what i want to know is that if i keep it in even longer, will the meat become more and more tender or will it start to over cook. It has been cooking on low for alomost 5 hours now. Should I continue to cook so it almost falls apart?? or will it be tough.

Thanks for any help.
Trudy

What are you using it for?

My immediate reaction is to cook it until it falls apart.

Welcome to DC, btw. :)

Cook until it falls apart!!! :chef: Or at least until more tender - they may not actually fall apart like a bigger roast, but they will become more tender. They won't overcook though. How big are your chunks? They may be as done/tender as they are going to be after 5 hours though.

I added Beef broth and covered the meat almost entirely, the potatoes just sit on top. The beef chunks are about 1 to 1.5 inches (cubed) I am not making a stew even though it is stewing beef chunks, i just wanted really tender beef to eat and top it with gravy afterwards are the beef broth does not give alot of flavor. I think i should turn off the slow cooker now, as it has been 5 hours and my crock seems to heat quicker than most as it is called Even Heating. I have cooked a few dishes in the past and they have not fallen apart but rather dried right out. So i am scared to cook it for longer.

Think I am doing the right thing??

Trudy

You know your slow cooker better than we do but you really should be able to be cut stew meat with a fork.

Maybe a little less stock/broth next time...:) Are the potatos done?

You can continue cooking it on low--always low--if you want. It will be fork tender. Add some carrots and celery too.

You should continue to cook until the meat is tender and almost falls off. This is what the slow cooker is good for. Usually the stock is reduced slightly if it's cooked first on high and then on medium or low heat. If your meat is beginning to dry up, add ome more stock/water and continue the cooking process until it is done to your satisfaction.

Even meat braised in a slow cooker will become dry and stringy if it's cooked too long. That's just physics. The question is "how long is too long?"

Chunks of beef will cook more quickly than a roast or meat on the bone.

Chunks of beef braised in the oven will be way more than done after 5 hours. Assuming the crockpot is set at low, I'd start checking at 5 or so hours. It's done when it's fork tender -- can be easily cut with a fork.

Trudy welcome to DC. I would cook it a little longer and then the meet will be so tender that it will just fall off.

Have a nice day.

In my opinion, you can NEVER overcook beef in a slow cooker!!

The process helps to break down tough fibers in the meat to help make it more tender, juicy and flavorful. In other words, you prctically have to cook it to death.

~Corey123.

Back
Top Bottom