Slowcooker Chicken Recipes please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thegrova

Cook
Howdy All. I am looking for someone to share slowcooker recipes for chicken. I am particularly looking for curries etc using chicken breast, rather than chicken pieces. But all suggestions are welcome!

Here is a recipe for Coq Au Vin using slowcooker.

COQ AU VIN
Ingredients:
3 chicken breasts, halved
6 bacon slices, diced
2/3 cup sliced green onions
8 small white onions, peeled
1/2 pound whole mushrooms
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
8 small new potatoes, scrubbed
2 cups Burgundy
1 cup chicken broth
Chopped parsley

Method:
In large skillet, saute diced bacon and green onions until bacon is crisp. Remove and drain on apper towel. Add chicken pieces to skillet and brown well on all sides. Remove the chicken when it has browned and set aside. Put peeled onions, mushrooms, and garlic in slowcooker. Add browned chicken pieces, bacon, and green onions, salt, pepper, thyme, potatoes, Burgundy and chicken broth. Cover and set to low for 6 to 8 hours. (High: 3 to 4 hours).

I saw a lot of crock pot chicken recipes on a site at http://www.recipezaar.com this morning while looking for something about chicken..i think there were low fat etc
I also search for almost every recipe online these days and usually find something.

Chicken breasts will tend to dry out more in a crockpot. You might consider cutting the time of cooking back.

Ingredients for BBQ Crockpot Chicken Recipe

• 2 pounds boneless chicken (breasts, thighs or both)
  • 1 bottle prepared BBQ sauce
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
Instructions

1. Spray inside of slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray.
  2. Place boneless chicken in the crock pot.
  3. Pour 3/4 of the BBQ sauce over the chicken; refrigerate the remainder
  4. Add the soy sauce.
  5. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours until chicken is cooked through.
  6. Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and cut it into bite-sized chunks.
  7. Mix the remaining BBQ sauce with the 1 cup of the sauce in the crock pot. Pour it over the chicken before serving.
Serve on French rolls, hamburger buns or with mashed potatoe

This sounds a bit strange (at least to me it did). I had never cooked with prunes before and quinoa is unfamiliar to some people but it turned out fantastic!

Moroccan Lemon Chicken with Prunes served over Quinoa
Rub 8 skinless chicken thighs (bone in) with 4 cloves of chopped garlic, lemon zest (from 1 lemon) and 1 tbsp oregano - let sit for at least 1 hour.
Mix 1.5 cups of pitted prunes with 1 cup of water, 1/4 cup lemon juice and 1 tbsp honey - let sit for min 1 hour.
Put chicken in slow cooker, cover with 2 cups chicken stock cook on high for 2.5-3 hours or low for about 5 hours (until chicken is cooked). Mix in prune mixture, cook for 30min-1 hour to let flavours meld.
Cook quinoa in a similar way as to how you would cook rice. Rinse the quinoa, very lightly toast the quinoa in the bottom of a pot, add double the amount of warm liquid to quinoa (I used some of the liquid from the chicken mixed with water to cook the quinoa). Bring to a boil, lightly simmer (covered) for about 15 mins. Or you can also serve with couscous.
:)

Candocook said:
Chicken breasts will tend to dry out more in a crockpot. You might consider cutting the time of cooking back.

I totally agree. IMO chicken breasts are not the best candidates for crock pots or even long slow braises in the oven. They do dry out faster than dark meat, which is why, coq au vin, for example, traditionally uses dark meat.

I'd also recommend cutting back on cooking time.

Candocook said:

Or maybe use thighs...

Edit: Oops..didn't read your post completely Jenny! Sorry.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your suggestions - I have not been online for a little while and apologise for not acknowledging you suggestions sooner! I know that chicken breast can get a bit dry so do shorten the cooking time. I am particularly looking forward to trying the Durban Curry recipe - thanks for that Kimashswan! Here in New Zealand it is mid summer and a bit too hot for an all day slow cooker to be going! It makes me look foward to winter!

Summer Slow Cooker

In the summer I love to make bbq chicken.
I put the chicken pieces in the slow cooker with onions and carrots, cover with water cook on low until I get home.
Then I drain the chicken (save the stock for other stuff) and put the chicken on the bbq with my favourite sauce.
I don't like chicken cooked just on the bbq because I find that the oustide is dry/burnt by the time the inside is cooked. Cooking it in the slow cooker means that it is cooked but I love the bbq flavour it gets (and it is nice and fast after work).
(I bet that the same thing could be done with other cuts of meat, like pork chops and ribs.)

You can also use the slow cooker to make pulled pork, shredded chicken, etc for salads, tacos, burritos, etc.

I really like the slow cooker because I have food waiting when I get home and in the summer it does not heat up the house.
:)

Back
Top Bottom