Stuffing in Crock Pot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marlene2

Cook
I would like to make my turkey stuffing in a crock pot. I have looked up several recipes and some say to add two beaten eggs. Why would I need to add eggs??? Is it just a preference thing or do they add to the taste or consistency of the stuffing. Thank you.

Eggs help bind the stuffing together. Just make sure that they come up to the proper temp in the middle.

I've made this stuffing: Slow Cooker Stuffing - All Recipes

It calls for 2 eggs, but I omitted them. The stuffing didn't have any trouble holding together without it. I also omitted the mushrooms as we had guests that don't like them, and used fresh herbs instead of dry. It was delicious. :)

I made slow-cooker mashed potatoes and make-ahead gravy, too. It was so nice to not be rushed right before dinner!

Hi Apple*Tart - I looked up the recipe and I must say the picture does not do it justice. lol I suppose I can use powdered sage, marjoram, etc., instead of dried!!! What kind of gravy do you make that doesn't have the turkey drippings to flavor it?

yeah, the photo is pretty grim. It was delicious and appetizing-looking, though, I swear! Fresh herbs are going to make it more attractive, imho, instead of less. If you're going to use dried herbs, whole herbs probably have more flavor than powdered, from what I've read.

I brined my turkey, so I was forewarned that the drippings were extra salty. I took the safe route and made this make-ahead gravy, which can be made up to 3 days in advance. I just reheated it on the stove right before dinner. It was really good - very flavorful. I think the only change I made was to use fresh thyme in it.

You will need less dried herbs than fresh, and powdered even less. As far as flavor, it depends how fresh your spices/herbs are, many folks keep the powdered herbs forever, so are sometimes not as tasty.
mmmmm, makes me want to make some stuffing!!

Back
Top Bottom