temperature probe on slow cookers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trudyg66

Assistant Cook
Hi there,
Anyone try the new programmable crock pot by Rival? It comes with a temperature probe to use on the auto setting. Has any one tried this one before? any comments? Can anyone recommend a great slow cooker with a timer??
I am trying the slow cooker mentioned today because i was not happy with the last one i had. I was finding that everything i cooked was overcooked. Cant figure out what i am doing wrong. Any advise?

Maybe all my recipes should not be cooked nearly as long as what recipe calls for?

"In the beginning, Rival created the crock-pot .... and it was good!" ... and recipes were written for it. It also had one temperature setting - about 185-200-F.

Then came the early "Renaissance" period in slow-cookers - 2-temp crock-pots (200-F for Low and 300-F for Hi). Now - they are a mess with probes and timers that may have nothing to do with the recipe you are trying to use! The problem is that there are a LOT of old (LOW only temp) crock-pot recipes out there that folks with 21st Century (multi-temp) crocks are having a problem using.

If you are consistently having a problem with the food being "overcooked" the only logical explanation I can think of is that the cooking temp is too high! Unless the recipe explicitly states a certain temperature setting - use LOW if your pot has multiple settings.

I have a new Rival digital crockpot but no probe. The first time
I used it my recipe burned. There was plenty of liquid at the
onset of cooking. I used high for one hour and low for 2 hours.
I noticed it when I came home. Just the bottom was burned and
the BBQ sauce was "carmelizing" :) I think I will use an oven
thermometer (sp) and see what it is really cooking at. Maybe as
Michael suggested, the new ones cook at a higher temp. Even the
keep warm setting was over doing it.

Trudy, I got a timer plug for my SC. You plug the SC into the adapter which has a timer switch on it and that works like a charm. I am sure you could get them from any electrical wholesaler or store.
I haven't seen a digital SC and the other forums I have been on haven't had a problem with them, or aren't using them. Sorry I couldn't help there.
HTH

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom