Terri's crockpot reuben

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luvs

Master Chef
deli corned beef, sliced 1/2" thick and cubed
bagged sauerkraut
hearty caraway rye bread, thick-sliced and cubed (crusts removed)
thousand island dressing
cream cheese, cubed
shredded swiss cheese
black pepper

combine ingredients to taste and place in crock pot on low. serve.

Was fascinated by the idea. Love Reubens.

Googled a bit and there are many recipes. Did not find one that was the exact recipe that Luvs posted, but this came close:

http://mommy-inc.blogspot.com/2006/06/make-ahead-meal-crockpot-reuben.html

At least it might give us a clue to amounts.

Don't use my crock pots (always buy stuff I think I am going to use and then go back to my old ways of cooking. There must be a name for my condition, but it is harmless I suppose, unless you look in my basement, lol).

Just an idea, but I would think a bit of caraway seed tossed in might work.

Just an idea.

Maybe will drag one of those crock cooking suckers upstairs and give the recipe a go.

Thanks for posting Luvs.

StirBlue and Corinne, is my guess correct that you haven't eaten Reubens before? I'd think if you had you'd feel comfortable guessing both on quantities and procedure, but maybe I'm wrong. Anyways, here are both according to this reuben lover!

Bread? Two slices
Corned beef? Enough to cover one slice of the bread generously
Sauerkraut? About equal with the beef
Cheese? Enough so that when it melts it will cover the sauerkraut
Cream cheese? Non-traditional, but why not? As much as you wish!
Thousand Island Dressing? Enough that its presence is noticeable, even with the other strong flavors within. It's an important 'flavor note'
Black pepper and (yes!) caraway seed? To taste. Plenty, in my book.

Procedure? Get the one slice of bread and start piling on. Maybe start with the dressing so that it will easily stick, smearing in the cream cheese then as well if you go for it.

Then put on the corned beef and cover it with sauerkraut and the sauerkraut with the cheese, then grind your pepper and sprinkle your seeds. Top with the other piece of bread, squoosh it all down a bit with the palm of your hand, plunk it in the crock pot.

Mind you, a grill or frypan would brown the bread which I'd consider a plus, but surely the crockpot will accomplish something good too. For me it would take too long as I'd be salivating from the moment I cracked open the sauerkraut!

Accompany with a CHOCOLATE EGG CREAM!

Here's a rueben casserole recipe I found on this site, it was great. The only thing you wouldn't have in a crock pot version is the crunchy topping.

1 15 oz. can sauerkraut (drained)
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup diced onion
1 12 oz. can corned beef (or corned beef from the deli)
2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
6-8 slices rye bread (cubed)
1/2 to 3/4 cup melted butter

In a buttered 8 x 8 pan, pour sauerkraut, sour cream and onion. Crumble corned beef over the sauerkraut mixture. Sprinkle shredded cheese over corned beef layer. Top cheese with rye bread cubes. Pour melted butter over all. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees until bubbly - approx. 30 minutes.

Here's a link to the rueben casserole thread
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f58/reuben-casserole-tnt-18918.html

Ayrton said:
StirBlue and Corinne, is my guess correct that you haven't eaten Reubens before? I'd think if you had you'd feel comfortable guessing both on quantities and procedure, but maybe I'm wrong. Anyways, here are both according to this reuben lover!

Your guess is incorrect! I've had Reubens many times. It's my DH's favorite sandwich. The recipe we're discussing is a crock pot recipe - a casserole type thing - not one sandwich. For instance, a "bag of saurkraut" as listed in the ingredients would amount to 1 lb., in my opinion.

Corinne

I've had this but used it as a dip so it didn't have the bread in it at all. It's quite tasty for a dip. I just guessed at the amounts but it was close to:

• 1 small bag of sauerkraut, drained well
  • 1 block of cream cheese
  • 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
  • 1/2 pound of diced corned beef (if you get from deli have them slice it thick so you can cube it yourself
  • Thousand Island Dressing (I swear I dumped in a normal size bottle but start with 1/2 of the bottle and see where that gets you on taste

The flavor will mellow and blend once heated. I think I heated mine like any casserole (350 for 30 minutes) then transferred to a chafing dish. Serve with pumpernickel and caraway bread cut in quarters.

IMHO it would be much too rich to just eat as a meal.

Last edited:
Corinne said:
Your guess is incorrect! I've had Reubens many times. It's my DH's favorite sandwich. The recipe we're discussing is a crock pot recipe - a casserole type thing - not one sandwich. For instance, a "bag of saurkraut" as listed in the ingredients would amount to 1 lb., in my opinion.

Corinne

My guesses are off, and my reading skills aren't so hot either! I just realized now that the very first post is not really referring to a reuben sandwich, but some sort of reuben-ish, um, crock-pot-sandwich-casserole thing. So you're right as rain -- quantities and procedure might indeed be in order!

However, allow me to nit-pick please, now that I've put my reading specs on: the original posting refers to "bagged sauerkraut" rather than "a bag of" sauerkraut which, I hope, means a good deal less than a pound!

All this talk of reubens makes me miss them hugely (we only have canned corned beef over here -- fine for what it is, but won't do for reubens). Eat one for me, would'ja Corinne?

Back
Top Bottom