Time and temperatures for slowcookers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocco2010

Assistant Cook
Hi! new to the web site kindly be patient:(
I have a new Rival slowcooker and even in the Low cycle the food get extremely hot so I was thinking:
Is it possible to shorten to a safer time frame to get more consistency to the dish specially vegetables? instead of mushy food?
Thanks for your time in replying.......rocco.

This might help you. Crock-Pot® Hints & Tips

The newer Rivals are cooking on the hot side, even when on low. I've had to shorten the cooking times on a few dishes just to avoid pureed (sp) carrots..
So far it's worked out well.

Welcome to DC!

Munky.

All the new Rival Crock-Pot® cookers run hot and my new one went into storage and I ended up buying a Hamilton Beach after researching the subject. My HB slow cooker has a permanent spot on my counter.

To answer your question, you may have to use the recipe times for HIGH for your low setting and experiment. I don't think you need to worry about undercooking.

This might help you. Crock-Pot® Hints & Tips

The newer Rivals are cooking on the hot side, even when on low. I've had to shorten the cooking times on a few dishes just to avoid pureed (sp) carrots..

So far it's worked out well.

There is one thing posted in that link that is not totally accurate.

How do I test my slow cooker’s cooking temperature?
Using an instant read thermometer will ensure that your unit is up to temperature. Crock-Pot® slow cookers reach the simmer point and stabilize on both High and Low at about 209°F.

That statement may be true for the current collection of hot-cooking Rivals; but it is absolutely not true for the older units or at least not for mine.

Several years ago this discussion came up on another forum and it was stated that the newer crock pots were having their temps increased a little for food safety purposes. I had noticed my "new" crock pot seemed to cook a lot hotter than my old one so I ran a little test, I may be able to find that old post where I reported my results; but, as I recall, the old crock pot got to the high 180s on the low setting and about 210° on the high setting. I don't remember what the new crock pot temps were; but they were definite higher on the low setting.

If I can't find that old post, I may have to run the test again just out of curiosity.;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom