What am i doing wrong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

benkei

Assistant Cook
I was making a beef stew and had the slow cooker cooking for 20 hours. The meat was definitely done but the potatoes were not. Any ideas on what I could possibly be doing wrong?

20 hours? Holy cow. Definately doesn't need to be in that long... You need to cut the potatoes small. Turn it on high if you have to, maybe you need a new slow cooker.

Wow!!!! A stew should only need 7-9 hours max on low and 4-5 on high. I agree with Saph that your potatoes should be cut small. Also, put your veggies on the bottom and your meat on top and pour your water/stock over all. This way the veggies get more crock surface.

That's the thing, the potatoes were sorta smallish. The slow cooker was on high. It's brand new by the way, just got it yesterday. It's a kenmore 7 quart. The meat was done, but not the potatoes. Does that make any sense at all? Thanx for the responses by the way.

That's the thing, the potatoes were sorta smallish. The slow cooker was on high. It's brand new by the way, just got it yesterday. It's a kenmore 7 quart. The meat was done, but not the potatoes. Does that make any sense at all? Thanx for the responses by the way.
I've never cooked anything for longer than 7 or 8 hours in the slow cooker. Is there any chance the potatoes were actually overcooked?

Woah - 10 hrs should be the maximum. I'm wondering if you have a heating element problem on the crock pot. Above noter has a point too....

Did you have enough liquid?? Potatoes and carrots need water/broth/stock to make them tender. Even 24 hours of cooking won't make a potato soft if there's no liquid for them to absorb.

I've cooked chili for almost as long as that. With my chili even 10 hours aren't enough. Of course, my chili is done in an 18 quart roaster so it definitely takes longer.

Did your ingredients fill your crock pot? Some crock pots require to be filled at least two thirds full for even cooking. These kind of crock pots have heating elements that go around the pot. A few crock pots have the heating coil on the bottom, which do not have to be filled to the top for even cooking.

Agreed about the liquid, I was going to post it earlier but I had to run and feed the kittens.

The longest I've cooked something is 12 hours. 20 hours just seems insane for a stew. Trying to soften some rocks in there? lol

Agreed about the liquid, I was going to post it earlier but I had to run and feed the kittens.

The longest I've cooked something is 12 hours. 20 hours just seems insane for a stew. Trying to soften some rocks in there? lol
I did my chili overnight because the meat still hadn't gotten the full flavor and it was better to keep heat on the food overnight than to let it cool down at 9 pm and be ready for the fridge at 2 am (if that). But like I said, it was an 18 quart batch which is equal to three average size crocks. If I had put it in the fridge at 10 when I was ready for bed it would have heated it up and ruined the entire contents of my fridge. FWIW ~ it was the best batch of chili EVER this year so nearly 20 hours (maybe 18) with an 18 quart vat of chili was totally worth it. :chef:

If the potatoes weren't done after 20 hours, you have a definite problem. Indeed, I would not eat the stew because if it wasn't done after that long, the temperature was far too low, possibly in the range that would allow really nasty bacteria, such as botulism, to flourish.

I've had food poisoning three times in my life, and I'm probably lucky to be alive after a couple of them. Trust me -- do NOT take chances with food.

TWENTY HOURS??!!?? Why do I have a sneaking suspicion that you didn't fully read the instruction booklet that came with the cooker. NOTHING should be cooked in any slow cooker for 20 hours. Nothing. And I'm sure the instructions mention that somewhere. Not to mention LIQUID requirements, which are most important. Not enough liquid in a crockpot/slow cooker? Even after 20 hours, potatoes will still be like rocks unless there's enough liquid.

But if, in fact, you did read the instructions, had enough liquid, & for whatever reason after TWENTY hours still had hard vegetables, you need to clean your appliance, pack it up, & return it to the store as defective.

Back
Top Bottom