What is your Favorite Slow Cooker Recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tim

Assistant Cook
If you don't mind sharing, I would love to know what your favorite recipe is. General ideas are also welcome!

I have a recipe that I just adapted to using a slow cooker and has become my fav. Which is my beef stroganoff. But my use of slow cookers has been limited and have not used it much else except for that and roasts. So there is my rather narrow view of fav slow cooker recipes.

BTW... Welcome to DC!

my all time favorite is french onion soup, most any recipe will work, since they usually cook for a long while.

after that maybe bean soup, dried beans, onions celery, sometimes pepper strips, a ham hock or two , garlic in whatever form you like. some times i put in just a little barley to thicken it up. serves a lot of people

I don't have a favorite but I find I cook chicken thighs a lot in the slow cooker, either with cream of chicken soup or Tomato soup. I remove the skins first before putting thighs in cooker.

Oooh - thanks for that link Qsis! I'm thinking it will be easily adaptable for me, using turkey drumsticks or thighs in place of lamb shanks, & chicken broth for the beef broth. Plus, I LOVE Swiss Chard & lentils. Definitely a must try.

That does sound good Qsis!!! Specially now that I am getting more lamb here lately!!!

This is one of my all-time favorites. Lamb and Lentil Soup Recipe - Lentil Soup Recipe with Lamb Shanks for Crockpot or Slow Cooker

I use 4 lamb shanks, a bag of lentils and one large bunch of Swiss chard. Verrrrrrry hearty stew!

Babe, your bean soup sounds fantastic! I love all you put in it! I think I'll try that with a bag of assorted dry beans and the bone from my smoked shoulder. Do you put raw or cooked barley in?

Lee

i use raw, just be careful not to use to much, it really puffs up. gives it a nutty flaver. i usually use small northern beans. :chef:

TIM, I'm sure you would love this bean recipe I just posted, it is our favorite.
subscribed.gif
Family favorite crock-pot beans

The three things I fix most in the crock are beans, ribs with BBQ sauce and stew. I do not use a recipe for any of them. What I have is what goes in the pot.

Thanks for the suggestions. I actually came on looking for a bean slow cooker recipe today, so was delighted with the comments. Okay, we don't have canned pork with beans here in New Zealand, but I am sure I can invent something!

Sattie - I am yet to try the stroganoff recipe you sent me - beef prices were at an all time high when I went shopping yesterday, so I opted for roasting a chicken instead!

My favorite is Dottie's Short Ribs. It is an adaptation of a recipe my late sister gave to me years ago. Very good. I posted it on the slow cooker thread some time ago.

my own are: Boeuf Bourgignon, Chili con Carne (without beans), Rogan Josh (curry made with either lamb or beef, marinated in yoghurt), German Sauerbraten.

Favorite crockpot recipe?

:chef: I use my crockpot for stews and soups.

My favorite stew is a traditional beef stew that I've tweaked about a dozen times. :chef:

My favorite soup is my chicken-noodle soup.:chef:

I made a split-pea soup for DH recently - not a favorite of mine, but he loved it. It's Alton Brown's recipe: 18 oz. of dried peas, a piece of salt pork, 1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, 1/2 cup each chopped carrots, onions and celery, 2 quarts chicken broth and 1.5 tbsp. miso paste. Cook on high for 6-8 hours.

My recent favorite, rather than the usuals, is an optional canning recipe:

Apple Butter (Crockpot)

7 cups applesauce -- natural
2 cups apple cider
1 1/2 cups honey
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves -- optional
1/2 teaspoon allspice

In a large slow cooker, combine all ingredients. Cover and cook on LOW for 14 to 15 hours or until mixture is a deep brown and thickness desired.

Spoon hot apple butter into hot sterilized Mason jars and seal, then process half-pints or pints 10 minutes in a boiling water bath.

If you don't want to 'can' it, just put into jars and refrigerate or freeze.

Yield: "8 half-pints"

I actually used seven (7) 15 oz cans of unsweetened applesauce since I had them on hand. Unless you have a 5 quart or larger slow cooker you might want to halve the recipe. I ended with with less than 1/4" from overflowing on mine, but fortunately it reduced down by a third eventually and it simmered on LOW for 2 days and still could have gone another half day or more to thicken properly, but I want my crockpot back so I stopped a little early. Refrigerated it thickened up a little more and it was soooo good. The apple cider and spices give it a good kick.

GotGarlic - that soup sounds interesting. Do you have to saute the onions/carrots/celery first or just add them raw to the crockpot?

GotGarlic - that soup sounds interesting. Do you have to saute the onions/carrots/celery first or just add them raw to the crockpot?

Hi, Breezy. The recipe doesn't say to saute them first. I think I did, though - I had some rendered pork fat in the fridge from steaming ribs over the summer before BBQ'ing them, and I'm pretty sure I sauteed them in that for maybe 5 minutes.

I saw some place you can make meatloaf in the crock pot. I was very skeptical but I am also very curious about recipes and food in general so i tried it. You have to make a foil lifting thingy but that was kinda fun.

Best meatloaf I ever had!

I want to try french onion soup for my next crock pot meal.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom