"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Slow Cookers

Old 05-16-2010, 04:14 PM   #21
Cupcake

Like many, I love my slow-cooker because I can set it up before work and come home to a finished dinner. I make soups, stews, and other things in my slow cooker. I also believe that pre-cooking defeats the purpose. My favorite recipe is fresh kielbasa with sauerkraut. It is a meal in itself. Here is my recipe:

I confess. I have crockpotophobia.

~Kathleen

Old 05-16-2010, 11:26 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

i think i need an oz to american dictiionary.

shin beef? a shank, perhaps?

best red? i'm guessing wine.

chili jam? possibly a thai style sweet chili sauce, such as mae ploy brand.

even if i'm wrong, this recipe sounds pretty good to my imagination, missm.

ok, i loathe to be the one to be a doggie downer in a thread (would rather be a puppy upper ) , but am i the only one who doesn't leave the house when the crock pot's going for fear of a fire? can you really trust the u.l. label on the power cord when you got the crock pot for $20 and it was made in china?

i mean, set it and forget it, but so long as your within earshot of the smoke alarms.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 11:37 PM   #23
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i mean, set it and forget it, but so long as your within earshot of the smoke alarms.

Our smoke detectors are wired to the house alarm so the company will call us on a mobile phone. That doesn't sound nearly as handy now that I have typed it.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:49 AM   #24
Cook

Quote:
i think i need an oz to american dictiionary.

shin beef? a shank, perhaps?

best red? i'm guessing wine.

chili jam? possibly a thai style sweet chili sauce, such as mae ploy brand.

even if i'm wrong, this recipe sounds pretty good to my imagination, missm.

ok, i loathe to be the one to be a doggie downer in a thread (would rather be a puppy upper ) , but am i the only one who doesn't leave the house when the crock pot's going for fear of a fire? can you really trust the u.l. label on the power cord when you got the crock pot for $20 and it was made in china?

Buckytom:) You're right. Shin beef is cross cut shank - a least an inch thick - with the bone removed. Because it is from the foreleg it has a lot of connective tissue but very little if any, fat, and must be slow cooked, but is worth it.

Chilli jam is not a sauce. It is a jam or 'jelly' in US terms. We only call completely clear jams 'jelly'. The jam is made from red bell peppers, and equal qty of small, hot red chillies, sugar and cider vinegar. My daughter made this one and it is yummy.

"Red' is wine, a Cab Sav in this case. (One for the cook and one for the pot:) )

I already lost a house in a fire so I hope "they" are right about lightning never striking twice. I leave mine on. I think it must be the same brand as yours, it is Chinese and was very inexpensive but is still going well after 5 or so years.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:20 AM   #25
Master Chef

Quote:
i

No, you're not alone. As I posted here earlier, I never use my crockpot unless I'm going to be at home. I don't like leaving electrical appliances running (that includes the washer & dryer too) when I'm not home.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:29 AM   #26
Head Chef

I tried the slow cookers a few times, But I guess Im and Impatient, hands-on cooker. I can definitely see the convenience and benefits of having one for some people. But even when im making certain soups, stews, chili... I still enjoy the hands-on, interactive approach of tasting, adding, mixing, but thats just me I think mine is in the basement somewhere collecting dust.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:05 AM   #27
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I never leave the crockpot going when I leave the house. But I do like setting it up early in the AM (on a night off) and having dinner ready when I wake up later. I always know when it's time to get up, I can smell dinner.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:36 PM   #28
Cook

I got my slowcooker for a wedding gift as well 10 years ago, and I use mine occasionally. I also got a slowcooker cook book, which has been quite helpful over the years. It's great for cooking in the summer since it doesn't heat up the house like the oven does, and as others have said, it's nice to have a hot meal to come home to.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:31 PM   #29
Head Chef

Crock pots are great for Sundays. Invite someone over after church. Put the meal in the crock pots on Sunday morning and come home to a beautiful meal. Can't be beat and it makes you look so totally together.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:07 PM   #30
Master Chef

When I was younger, I often threw food in one, plugged it in, and came home 10 hours later to dinner. I don't even own one now, and since I live in a 160 year old house, I hesitate to leave anything plugged in, much less turned on!

Tags
None