"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Slow Cookers

Old 03-15-2011, 09:07 AM   #31
Senior Cook

I use mine on lazy Sunday afternoons. I never leave it unattended while at work though. Great when people stop by and just fill up a plate. I use my digital pressure cooker more often. It browns or braises and I love it! Easy clean up. Stick frozen meats or veggies in it and comes out moist and tasty.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:33 AM   #32
Head Chef

Mine was a gift from my mom, and it just sits unused.

The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
http://leoladysw.blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:26 PM   #33
Master Chef

I have a great sideboard built into my dining room, and it isn't unusual for me to call friends before a party and request a crock pot or three for keeping meatballs, chili con queso, or other sauces and foods hot. I'll go around town and collect them, clean 'em up, then leave them on the donater's front porches. Try to return them cleaner than I got 'em. In my current lifestyle (read that lazy, stay at home, absolutely nothing more than time on my side) I don't need to own one. But I used to use it a lot when it was a two person working 50+ hours a day household!
Old 03-15-2011, 01:35 PM   #34
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I But I used to use it a lot when it was a two person working 50+ hours a day household!

50 hours a day? Wow! I am impressed.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:32 PM   #35
Senior Cook

I have to say when I read this I thought why wouldn't you. I know a lot of people will say that they are great if you work and aren't able to make a meal for your family. As a stay at home wife, I find that they are great on days when I am going to be all over the place, or don't feel like cooking. I found that they are great in the summer! I still want to eat a nice cooked meal in the summer, but don't want to heat up the house or stand over a stove and that fits the ticket. I love to make soups, stews, and roasts in mine. They are also great for potato dishes. If you are having a hard time finding ways to use your slow cooker, I would get a cookbook. They do amazing things!! Getting a cookbook opened my eyes to all kinds of breakfast and dessert ideas that I wouldn't have had on my own. If you have small kids you don't have to worry about them getting burned on it either, since it will most likely be on a counter, and they are usually pretty cool on the outside.

betterthanabox.org
betterthanabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:27 PM   #36
Senior Cook

i'm cooking a roast today in it. my back hurts, it's raining out and i want something delicious and filling! i love using my crockpot.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:29 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
The house Buck and l lived in wasn't air-conditioned and here, in Kentucky, the summer temperatures can get to three digits. As an experiment one June, I cooked all our evening meals for that month in the crock-pot. It was a very interesting and educational exercise. I was amazed at the variety that was possible. Initially, I thought everything would take on some sort of sameness.

It was wonderful. Almost like being on a mini-vacation. For 30 days I practically didn't have to cook dinner.

I've also used it to bake cake and quick breads in it. It's one of the most convenient appliances we own.

Not really "one," because we have 4 different sizes and all are used on a regular basis.

I use the largest one to make applesauce when the apples are plentiful here in the fall. Yummy delicious stuff.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:42 PM   #38
Head Chef

I have 2--a little one and a big one. I generally only use them as warmers for a potluck. Which they do amazingly well.

I always think they give food that is prepared in them a funny flavor--maybe just an overcooked taste? My sis does an Italian beef that is good--chuck roast with a package of Italian dressing mix and a beer--but most things, especially chicken, I just can't eat.

I did notice that someone (Hamilton Beach?) has one with a lid that latches on--great for traveling to a potluck. Why did it take them so long to figure that one out?
Old 03-16-2011, 06:56 PM   #39
Executive Chef

I also have two crock pots, a 6 quart and a 2 quart. Since I live alone, the 3 quart works just fine for 95% of the time making soups and stews for a regular meal with just enough left over for one or two extra meals without having to freeze anything. My freezer is already overflowing, so I don't need to keep anything extra around for very long.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:58 PM   #40
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post

I always think they give food that is prepared in them a funny flavor--maybe just an overcooked taste? My sis does an Italian beef that is good--chuck roast with a package of Italian dressing mix and a beer--but most things, especially chicken, I just can't eat.
My husband in particular but I as well find that the end result is often just not that bright or clean in flavor -- just sort of "muddy." We've tried different cookers and recipes over the years, but we've pretty much given up. We currently have the cooker that comes with three different-sized crocks, which is ingenious. We will keep it. But we probably will never use it much at all.

Tags
None