"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Slow Cookers

Old 03-17-2011, 08:32 PM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I hear you loud and clear, TL. Is your husband also of the mind that lids need little, if any attention??
He puts everything in the dishwasher that is allowed to go in it. So the lids aren't a problem. I have him trained to put some stuff on the dish rack for my approval before it gets put away, even if it came out of the dishwasher dry.

He has tried, but he just can't see the dirt I can see.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:25 PM   #52
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Not the case for me either BT, although it makes sense. I'm a maniac about no residue whatsoever on cooking pots. Just ask my "soap stingy" husband who normally cleans them for me, and I do them over again (the right way).
That's called the pre-wash cycle at our place!

Old 03-18-2011, 01:33 AM   #53
Cook

I remembered another time I like to use my slow cooker...for Stuffing during holiday season! I don't like to stuff my turkey, but making the stuffing in the crock pot turns out great.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:24 AM   #54
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
for those who say that crock pots attain a certain weird, common taste after a while, have you checked closely to see that it's been thoroughly cleaned?
I am going to smack you with my glove and challenge you to a duel--I will put my cleaning skills up against anyone's!!

(Wooden spoons at 40 yards, how 'bout?)

No, this is not a flavor that develops over time--it is something I notice with almost all dishes cooked in a crockpot. Someone said 'muddy' and 'not bright'--that hits the nail on the head as far as I am concerned.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:29 AM   #55
Master Chef

Site Administrator

I have never noticed anything peculiar about crock pots and the flavor of food. Maybe it is the style of recipes that are used more than the cooking vessel.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:22 AM   #56
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
I am going to smack you with my glove and challenge you to a duel--I will put my cleaning skills up against anyone's!!

(Wooden spoons at 40 yards, how 'bout?)

No, this is not a flavor that develops over time--it is something I notice with almost all dishes cooked in a crockpot. Someone said 'muddy' and 'not bright'--that hits the nail on the head as far as I am concerned.
For some reason, this flavor gives me a headache about every time. I do use my crockpot for things like keeping food hot at a buffet, but that is all!
The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
http://leoladysw.blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:41 AM   #57
Executive Chef

I have no idea what you people are talking about - strange flavors? My crock pot liner is glazed ceramic that is well washed. I believe it's the same material as my ceramic baking dishes, ramekins and the coating on the inside of my Dutch Oven. I've never heard of clean, glazed ceramics imparting a noticeable flavor to anything.

I also don't hesitate to leave it on all night or when I leave then house because it carries a U.L. (Underwriter Laboratories) sticker on the bottom, meaning - this product has been thoroughly test and has built-in safety features to keep it from catching fire. That's the reason for the U.L. listing in the first place!
Old 03-18-2011, 10:57 AM   #58
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
I have never noticed anything peculiar about crock pots and the flavor of food. Maybe it is the style of recipes that are used more than the cooking vessel.
I agree with Frank. I, too, have not noticed any off flavor in dishes prepared in my crock-pot and I've been using it regularly since I bought it in the early '70s. I cook everything from applesauce, meatloaf, holiday dressing, you name it and there's never been any flavor other than that intended.

In fact, I cooked yesterday's corned beef in the crock-pot and it was the best I've ever made.

I am a clean freak. Came from a medical household where dishes, utensils, silverware, cookware, etc. were cleaned to nearly surgical standards, so I know everything used in our kitchen is thoroughly cleaned.

Selkie brings up a good point about the material crock-pots are made of, so I am a bit puzzled why there should be any flavor alteration because of the vessel in which food is cooked.

Oh, well. That's why we're all free to make our choices. I just know that you'd better not take my crock-pot away.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:00 AM   #59
Head Chef

If my deceased mother had not given it to me, I would say -- take my crockpot please!
The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
http://leoladysw.blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 07:01 PM   #60
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I use my crockpots all the time. No problems.

Tags
None