"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 08-16-2005, 11:36 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

17, male wants to start cooking

Hey everyone.

I'm going to start posting in these forums so I can acquainted with cooking. My whole life, I really haven't had any experience cooking ANYTHING. I have made Ramen for myself and even successfuly crafted Mac' and Cheese this afternoon for my lunch. Other than that, my skill is really lacking.

So I hope to get better at cooking and at the same time have fun posting on this forum.

Thanks

p.s. anyone know where I should get started?

Old 08-16-2005, 11:41 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
carni welcome to dc !! trust me you'll learn
ALOT here !! start scrolling and reading
through all the forums. most are very
imformative. if you have any questions please
feel free to ask.

Old 08-16-2005, 11:45 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Send a message via Skype™ to MJ
Welcome to Discuss Cooking Carni. I'm happy you found us!
Old 08-16-2005, 11:53 PM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

Welcome Carni. You really did find the best place to learn about cooking and to have fun doing it. As far as where to start, tell us a little bit about what you like to eat, what you don't like to eat, what kind of tools you have to work with (oven, stove, grill, pots, pans, etc.) and I am sure we will be able to give you some great advice!
Old 08-16-2005, 11:56 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Gday and welcome.

I got bitten by the cooking bug when I was 18 and three years later its only increased in ferocity. Middie gave some of the best advice, just start reading.

By reading recipes, information about ingredients/techniques, you quickly learn how to prepare/cook a variety of ingredients, and also you begin to learn what flavour goes with what food. It also gives you ideas (about dishes/flavour combinations) that you may not of thought of by yourself.

The second best thing you can do is experiment and dry a whole whost of different foods and recipes. Soon enough you will be able to look in a fridge/pantry and not see just a random bunch of ingredients, but the components of a sauce or other dish.

Just remember it is pretty hard to make a dish taste horrible, flavour wise that is (the 2 easiest ways to do this are over-salting and over-chilli/peppering it). Mainly its basic techniques that you have to master.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:06 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

The utensils I can use are pots, pans, and a wok because that's what I have in the kitchen and that's what my parents usually use. I don't think there's anything I can't cook, it's just that I don't have any of the ingredients because my parents never buy anything but the same stuff. I might even have to go to the nearest supermarket to stock up.

What I like to eat? Anything. But the reason that makes me want to start cooking is because I hate my mom's cooking sometimes.

Any tips are welcome.

Thanks
Old 08-17-2005, 12:24 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Hi, welcome to the group.

I'd start with easy dishes. Scrambled eggs with diced onions and ham, tuna salads, French toast, soups are pretty easy too. I have an easy recipe for Split pea that I'd be glad to give you. Just ask!

Trish
Old 08-17-2005, 12:32 AM   #8
Master Chef

pdswife, you are right. Breakfast is a good place to start. Pancakes, waffles, frittatas, etc. are easy to make and take minimal ingredients. Most of all remember to have fun when cooking. Here are a couple of simple recipes.

Bacon Pie

12 bacon slices, crisp cooked
1 cup Swiss cheese
1/3 chopped onion
2 cups milk
1 cup biscuit mix
4 eggs
teaspoon salt
1/3 teaspoon pepper

Spray or grease a 10-inch glass pie pan. In the bottom of pan layer crumbled bacon, cheese, and onion. Combine other ingredients and pour into pan. Bake at 400 for 35-40 minutes. Check center for doneness with toothpick. If using a 9-inch pie pan, reduce milk to 1 cups, biscuit mix to cup, and eggs to three. Note: Extend baking time 10-15 minutes, if pie has been refrigerated.

Sausage and Green Chile Frittata

1/2 lb. pork sausage
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 (4 oz.) can diced green chiles
6 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper, to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Brown sausage in 8-inch castiron pan. Add onions when sausage is almost done. Drain sausage/onions and return to pan. Add green chilies to pan. Mix well with onions and sausage.

Beat eggs and milk together until frothy. Add salt, pepper, and cheese and stir well. Pour egg mixture over the sausage, onions, and green chiles.

Place in oven and bake for 30-40 minutes or until eggs are set.

Makes 4 servings or 2 large servings.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 12:57 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
That bacon one sounds good!!!
Old 08-17-2005, 01:27 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

I'm definately going to try out the scrambled eggs with diced onions and ham because that's all I have in the fridge - tons and tons of eggs. I'm just going to experiment and go with the flow which is what I've done in the past with mushrooms and eggs. Hm. Thanks for the ideas.

Also, what exactly is a tuna salad? I've never had that before. Because there is, you know, potatoe salad, then there's regular salad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdswife
Hi, welcome to the group.

I'd start with easy dishes. Scrambled eggs with diced onions and ham, tuna salads, French toast, soups are pretty easy too. I have an easy recipe for Split pea that I'd be glad to give you. Just ask!

Trish