A fresh hello!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Linda82

Assistant Cook
Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum but from what I've been reading I can tell that I love it already!

What about me, well I'm linda a mother of 2 and I love to cook healthy for them. I love thinking of different salads, you can eat a salad a day without them getting boring.

So that is me basically, see you soon!:chef:

Welcome Linda. We have all kinds of cooks here. And we can certainly share what we know with you, and look forward to sharing what you know. We are keenly aware that there is so much knowledge about food that one couldn't possibly know it all. We are all learning.

As for healthy and non-healthy, that can bring about some really good discussions, and differing points of view. It's best to save specific dietary questions for dieticians.

I can share recipes that are really good for you, and many that will cause you trouble, if eaten frequently (cheesecake anyone?), as can many of the posters here. You will soon learn that there are people who can answer nearly any food question you can think up.

Welcome gift - The Chief's Pancake Recipe (eat once in a while)

Chief Longwind's Pancakes

There was a time when my Dad would take me to my grandparents’ house. Now you have to understand. I was a skinny and generally small of stature, so they were always trying to feed me. Of course, since I had boundless energy and used all of it, I had an enormous appetite. I would often receive for breakfast a bowl of Sugar Smacks, or a bowl of oatmeal, followed by 2 poached eggs, from the egg-poaching pan of course and served atop a piece of toast, and finally, either pancakes or waffles.
When the final course was pancakes, my Grandpa would serve them up as he sang; “Pancakes are delicious, pancakes are so fine, I oughta know, cause I like ‘em so, that I eat ‘em all the time.” He always had a big grin on his face as he served them up.
Of course, the pancakes I got in those fondly remembered days came from a ready made mix, usually Aunt Jemima brand. But to a skinny kid, they were gourmet treats.
In honor of my Dad, and my Grandparents, I chose for my signature dish, pancakes. Of course mine are far different. But I still sing that little ditty that my Grandpa used to sing when I dish them up. “Pancakes are delicious, pancakes are so fine...” I even made everyone at out church sing it before I would serve them my pancakes at one of our annual pancake breakfasts. That was fun.
So here’s the recipe that I perfected (with help from my eldest daughter), and serve every year by request to better than a hundred folks.

[FONT=&quot]Ingredients: Dry Ingredients:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 cup all-purpose flour[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 tbs. Sugar[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]½ tsp. Salt[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3 tsp. Double Acting Baking Powder (You must use Double Acting Baking Powder to get the best texture)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Wet Ingredients:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3/4 plus 1/8 cup milk[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 large Egg[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3 tbs. Cooking oil[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Preheat the griddle. Place the dry ingredients into a large bowl and stir together with a wire whisk or mixing spoon. Add the remaining ingredients and again stir until mixed. Do not stir until all the lumps are gone as this will over-mix the batter. There should be small lumps. These will dissappear while cooking the pancakes.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Cook over medium heat until the bubbles close slowly as they rise and pop. Do not cook until the bubbles stay open as this will dry out the pancake. And most importantly, Don’t squish them down with your cake turner or spatula. When they are ready to flip, turn them over and cook for about 1 minute more. Remove from the pan and serve immediately. If you must cook up enough for a bunch of people, keep them warm by stacking in a large-rectangular cake pan and placing the pan into a 120' oven covered with a clean kitchen towel.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] You can add blueberries to the uncooked batter without changing anything else. However, if you add acidic fruits such as strawberries, rasp berries, or pineapple, you will need to add ½ tsp. Baking soda to the batter to balance the acid from the fruit.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] The above recipe makes enough pancakes for two people. You can easily enlarge the recipe by simply multiplying the ingredients by the same number. That is, if you double the flour, multiply all other ingredients by two.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
[/FONT]

Back
Top Bottom