"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 03-06-2012, 12:27 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Thumbs up A New Canadian, eh?

Hello everyone! I come bearing gifts:

I'm 26 years old and live in beautiful British Columbia, Canada with my fiance and three cats. I absolutely love cooking and collect recipes to the point of obsession.

I grew up with a mom who was always cooking new dishes. She rarely pulled out a recipe book, and instead whipped up meals with whatever she had on hand. A common dinner was "Mom Surprise" - which consisted of some sort of meat with veggies in a sauce. And it was never the same twice! I have inherited that "free-style" of cooking and am not afraid to substitute ingredients or tweak recipes.

My fiance is the complete opposite - not EXACTLY following a recipe makes him nervous and he usually just ends up asking me for help. So he is more than happy to sit back and give my "culinary prowess" free range in the kitchen. Which is just fine with me - to be honest, he can be a little annoying when I'm cooking since he's always asking things like "what are you doing? Why are you doing that? Well, what does the recipe say? Are you sure?!".

Looking forward to browsing the site to learn some great new tips and recipes, while sharing my love of cooking with others who feel the same way!!!

Old 03-06-2012, 12:53 PM   #2
Head Chef

Welcome to DC.

Josie

Old 03-06-2012, 01:13 PM   #3
Executive Chef

we always have room for another canadian in our group!:) welcome to dc, vanitas, make yourself at home....
Old 03-06-2012, 01:15 PM   #4
Master Chef

We're being overun by Canadians!

Seriously, I live on the Canada border, in Sault Ste. Marie, MI, just south of Sault Ste. Marie, Ont. I have a good many freinds just north of the river, and love the Canadian wilderness, just as I love the southern shore of Lake Superior.

You and I, we cook the same way, though I suspect I have just a few years head start on you.

Welcome to DC. You will love it here. There is a true feeling of community, and genuine respect for each other, except for those characters who reside in "Joisey" (the man I'm referring to is my younger (by several years) twin brother in spirit, and birth date ("watch him folks, "cause he's a thouroughly dangerous man")).

Have fun, ask questions, share what you know. You're in good company.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:32 PM   #5
Certified Cake Maniac

Another BC'ite! I am a South Coaster. Welcome to DC!

Do you follow Top Chef (the American version)? Last night (though I watched it today) were the two BC episodes. I loved seeing Whistler and and Vancouver.

I look forward to hearing about your culinary forays and sharing ideas, etc.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:27 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I too like to cook the way you do, and am looking forward to hearing some of your successes. Welcome to DC. You'll like it here.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:44 PM   #7
Everymom

Welcome aboard! Pretty soon we'll outnumber the Americans on the board! Those recruitment posters must be working.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:49 PM   #8
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Welcome aboard! Pretty soon we'll outnumber the Americans on the board! Those recruitment posters must be working.
Alix, your weren't supposed to mention the posters, remember? Next thing you will be letting it slip about the "cash incentive" .....uh oops!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:55 PM   #9
Everymom

Aw crap! Sorry LP! At least neither of us mentioned a $ amount or anything though!
Old 03-06-2012, 05:01 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Welcome to DC, Vanitas! I, too, like freestylin' my food!