"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 12-06-2009, 04:55 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Accepted to Johnson and Wales University!

I've been on this site for a little while, mostly getting tips of my dinners. I mentioned before that I was planning on going to Johnson and wales University to study culinary arts. Yesterday I got my letter of acceptance!! It's very exciting for a young chef like myself to be accepted.
The only issue I have is with getting money, anyone know of any good scholarships I could get?

Old 12-06-2009, 05:06 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Congrats! You'll have a great time, no doubt.

You could as J&W about available scholarships and also search online.

Old 12-06-2009, 05:08 PM   #3
Head Chef

Have you applied for financial aid? Have you spoken to their financial aid office? have you filled out FAFSA? Those are places to start.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 05:40 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Yeah, I'm planning on applying for the regular aid first of the year. I was just wondering if you knew any other ways I could get scolarships.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:22 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Congratulations!!!!!! You earned it, and you're going to earn it. Now the work really begins.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:05 PM   #6
Head Chef

Congratulations! That's wonderful news! Google "Culinary Scholarships and Grants".
Old 12-06-2009, 10:20 PM   #7
Head Chef

Have you talked to their financial aid office? they can give you information on other scholarships. When do you start? If it's before next fall, you probably would use last year's tax info (2008). I know that was true for me with starting in the summer. Their office should be able to answer your questions.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:28 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Congrats. A great program there.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:36 AM   #9
Master Chef

Go to the JWU website and check out the Financial Aid section (link) and read it - and follow their instructions. You will have to fill out a FAFSA before you can be considered for any financial aid or scholarships at any College/University that I know of.

DO pay attention to the instructions for filling out the forms, DO make sure they are complete, DO supply any supporting documentation they ask for, and DO pay attention to the filing dates - those who file earliest have a better chance than those who put things off and file at the last minute.

The Financial Aid office has a more complete set of up-to-date information on loans, grants and scholarships available to JWU students than anybody here.

Good luck!
Old 12-08-2009, 05:42 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Mark Webster
Congrats on getting into J&W. I attended J&W at the Charleston, SC Campus and it is a great school.