"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 08-02-2007, 05:46 PM   #1
Cook

Smile Allow me to introduce myself...

Hi! I'm 30, and I live in Seattle Washington. Although right now cooking is more of a hobby, I do hope to attend culinary school at some point in my life and/or study to be a dietitian. I've eaten a "pescaterian" (vegetarian with a little seafood) diet for the last six years or so but I recently switched to a vegan diet.

I mostly make simple stuff- pasta dishes, salads, rice with pulses, curries, pies... and I also like to play bartender. I've been told a make a good "proper" (gin) martini.

A lot of people seem to like my black beans and rice so I'll add this recipe to my intro. I hope you enjoy it!

notes: I don't think a lot of people these days use dry beans, so here's my fast version. I also assume the reader can make rice, so that's omitted!) This

1 can blacks beans
1/2 white onion
2 cloves garlic, pressed
several tablespoons over-brewed Lapsang Souchong tea (optional)
1/4 teaspoon brown sugar
a few drops vinegar
dash cayenne pepper
several tbsp olive oil
several tbsp red wine
dash black pepper

Saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil for several minutes, then add the red wine and continue a few more, stirring frequently as you add in the black and cayenne pepper. When the onions are soft and translucent, add the black beans. Bring to a simmer (add a little liquid if needed) then reduce heat, bringing beans down to a mild simmer as you stir in the sugar and vinegar. (and LS tea if you want a smokier flavor). Keep at a mild simmer for for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve with rice.

I suggest having it with plantains, sour cream, and a cold bottle of Negra Modelo!

Old 08-02-2007, 06:29 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Welcome....Jump in the water is fine!!!!!!!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:15 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Hi and welcome!!

(A martini should always be made with vodka, gin yucky!)
Old 08-02-2007, 07:54 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Hi, Penguin. Welcome to DC. Just hop on in and start visiting, sharing and asking questions. This is a great group of folks. We're glad you've found us.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:02 PM   #5
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by redkitty
Hi and welcome!!

(A martini should always be made with vodka, gin yucky!)
Thank you very much!

I must say I insist that a "martini" is strictly a drink made with gin. (Unless you call it a "vodka martini", I guess)

I don't get the point of a "vodkatini". Vodka is essentially neutral, and is totally overpowered by the vermouth... leading to awful practices like merely swirling the vermouth in the glass and tossing it. On the other hand, gin can stand up to the vermouth so you don't need to make the drink ridiculously dry, because the vermouth and gin blend agreeably.

Oh and always stirred. NEVER shaken!

I like vodka, but really only chilled and neat. It's too neutral-tasting for me to enjot in drinks...

But that's all just my opinion!
Old 08-02-2007, 08:08 PM   #6
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Little Penguin
Oh and always stirred. NEVER shaken!

Bond.......James Bond, just rolled over in his grave!

I've never been a martini man myself, but I have a friend that swears it is not a true martini unless you get 2 olives (not one). And I have no idea why. Need to ask him........
Old 08-02-2007, 08:23 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

I am a bourbon man 99% of the time. However my Martini Teacher (in whom I have the highest regard and admiration for) taught me 3 olives, shaken not stirred!! Oh, and that's Sans vermouth!

(Little Penquin don't be intimidated. This is all in fun!)

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 09:35 PM   #8
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin
Bond.......James Bond, just rolled over in his grave!

I've never been a martini man myself, but I have a friend that swears it is not a true martini unless you get 2 olives (not one). And I have no idea why. Need to ask him........
My issue is with shaking is that it makes the drink too watery (this is REALLY bad if the bar has funny-tasting ice), and the floating ice splinters kinda take away from the drink.

Somewhere I read someone say (in some bartending-related article or something), regarding "Shaken, not stirred!", "Essentially what James is doing is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it!"

But don't take my word for it. Try it both ways and see what you think. If you don't prefer it stirred (I count "one Misissippi, two... up to fifteen") I'll be surprised.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:38 PM   #9
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob
I am a bourbon man 99% of the time. However my Martini Teacher (in whom I have the highest regard and admiration for) taught me 3 olives, shaken not stirred!! Oh, and that's Sans vermouth!
(Little Penquin don't be intimidated. This is all in fun!)
I always heard an even number of olives was supposedly unlucky. Since I like olives, (and good luck) I usually do three as well.

I don't get leaving the vermouth out, though. Then it's just neat gin (or vodka) with a little water. Not that there's anything wrong with a glass of cold gin!

But if you're a Bourbon guy, I must then ask, how about Manhattans?
Old 08-02-2007, 09:46 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Welcome from another who calls Seattle home!