Allow me to introduce myself...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi! I'm 30, and I live in Seattle Washington. Although right now cooking is more of a hobby, I do hope to attend culinary school at some point in my life and/or study to be a dietitian. I've eaten a "pescaterian" (vegetarian with a little seafood) diet for the last six years or so but I recently switched to a vegan diet.

I mostly make simple stuff- pasta dishes, salads, rice with pulses, curries, pies... and I also like to play bartender. I've been told a make a good "proper" (gin) martini.

A lot of people seem to like my black beans and rice so I'll add this recipe to my intro. I hope you enjoy it!

notes: I don't think a lot of people these days use dry beans, so here's my fast version. I also assume the reader can make rice, so that's omitted!) This

1 can blacks beans
1/2 white onion
2 cloves garlic, pressed
several tablespoons over-brewed Lapsang Souchong tea (optional)
1/4 teaspoon brown sugar
a few drops vinegar
dash cayenne pepper
several tbsp olive oil
several tbsp red wine
dash black pepper

Saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil for several minutes, then add the red wine and continue a few more, stirring frequently as you add in the black and cayenne pepper. When the onions are soft and translucent, add the black beans. Bring to a simmer (add a little liquid if needed) then reduce heat, bringing beans down to a mild simmer as you stir in the sugar and vinegar. (and LS tea if you want a smokier flavor). Keep at a mild simmer for for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve with rice.

I suggest having it with plantains, sour cream, and a cold bottle of Negra Modelo!

redkitty said:
Hi and welcome!!

(A martini should always be made with vodka, gin yucky!)

Thank you very much! :)

I must say I insist that a "martini" is strictly a drink made with gin. (Unless you call it a "vodka martini", I guess)

I don't get the point of a "vodkatini". Vodka is essentially neutral, and is totally overpowered by the vermouth... leading to awful practices like merely swirling the vermouth in the glass and tossing it. On the other hand, gin can stand up to the vermouth so you don't need to make the drink ridiculously dry, because the vermouth and gin blend agreeably.

Oh and always stirred. NEVER shaken!

I like vodka, but really only chilled and neat. It's too neutral-tasting for me to enjot in drinks...

But that's all just my opinion! :D

Last edited:
The Little Penguin said:
Oh and always stirred. NEVER shaken!

Bond.......James Bond, just rolled over in his grave! :ROFLMAO:

I've never been a martini man myself, but I have a friend that swears it is not a true martini unless you get 2 olives (not one). And I have no idea why. :huh: Need to ask him........

I am a bourbon man 99% of the time. However my Martini Teacher (in whom I have the highest regard and admiration for) taught me 3 olives, shaken not stirred!! Oh, and that's Sans vermouth!

(Little Penquin don't be intimidated. This is all in fun!);)

keltin said:
Bond.......James Bond, just rolled over in his grave! :ROFLMAO:

I've never been a martini man myself, but I have a friend that swears it is not a true martini unless you get 2 olives (not one). And I have no idea why. :huh: Need to ask him........

My issue is with shaking is that it makes the drink too watery (this is REALLY bad if the bar has funny-tasting ice), and the floating ice splinters kinda take away from the drink.

Somewhere I read someone say (in some bartending-related article or something), regarding "Shaken, not stirred!", "Essentially what James is doing is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it!"

But don't take my word for it. Try it both ways and see what you think. If you don't prefer it stirred (I count "one Misissippi, two... up to fifteen") I'll be surprised.

Uncle Bob said:
I am a bourbon man 99% of the time. However my Martini Teacher (in whom I have the highest regard and admiration for) taught me 3 olives, shaken not stirred!! Oh, and that's Sans vermouth!
(Little Penquin don't be intimidated. This is all in fun!);)

I always heard an even number of olives was supposedly unlucky. Since I like olives, (and good luck) I usually do three as well.

I don't get leaving the vermouth out, though. Then it's just neat gin (or vodka) with a little water. Not that there's anything wrong with a glass of cold gin!

But if you're a Bourbon guy, I must then ask, how about Manhattans?

The Little Penguin said:
I always heard an even number of olives was supposedly unlucky. Since I like olives, (and good luck) I usually do three as well.

I don't get leaving the vermouth out, though. Then it's just neat gin (or vodka) with a little water. Not that there's anything wrong with a glass of cold gin!

But if you're a Bourbon guy, I must then ask, how about Manhattans?

Actually I don't stir or shake. It's neat, straight out of the Freezer. No water no ice! Three olives! Bourbon, is neat, straight out of the bottle. Manhattans? No thank you. I do not like Vermouth period!

Have Fun & Enjoy!

Uncle Bob said:
Actually I don't stir or shake. It's neat, straight out of the Freezer. No water no ice! Three olives! Bourbon, is neat, straight out of the bottle. Manhattans? No thank you. I do not like Vermouth period!

Have Fun & Enjoy!

Ah, if you don't like vermouth (either sweet or dry) then sure, I'm not surprised that you're not so big on Manhattans or Martinis. It's weird, I agree it's nasty by itself but I like it as an ingredient. (And for cooking!!!)

Definitely nothing wrong with neat bourbon! (I'm a big Knob Creek fan!) I do like the whole ritual of making a proper cocktail though, so when I have time and ingredients I do so.

I'll try one more on you then: perhaps an Old Fashioned? (one sugar cube dissolved in a few teaspoons water, just a couple ice cubes, bourbon- or rye- and a dash of bitters) It's a great way to "dress up" a good bourbon if you're in the mood for something to sip...

Old Fashion? No thank you again! Bourbon neat, ice cold Vodka neat, an occasional Margarita. A good bloody Mary at times. A rare Salty Dog. Ice cold, I said Ice cold beer in a frosty mug at times. Not a very complex repetoire I know!

Fun........

Uncle Bob said:
Old Fashion? No thank you again! Bourbon neat, ice cold Vodka neat, an occasional Margarita. A good bloody Mary at times. A rare Salty Dog. Ice cold, I said Ice cold beer in a frosty mug at times. Not a very complex repetoire I know!

Fun........

My Mom LOVED Salty Dogs. What are in those anyway? I remember the glass being rimmed in salt......

keltin said:
My Mom LOVED Salty Dogs. What are in those anyway? I remember the glass being rimmed in salt......

Gin or Vodka in grapefruit juice. I prefer gin and pink grapefurit juice with a little salt on the rim.

Cheers!!!!

Uncle Bob said:
Gin or Vodka in grapefruit juice. I prefer gin and pink grapefurit juice with a little salt on the rim.

Cheers!!!!

Thanks for that! Looking back, I thought it would be more complex, but knowing my mother, this sounds right! :)

You live in a great place Go to the """Cafe Flora"" you won't be disapointed I lived in Tacoma for 2 years .. DC is great place for all Foodies so jump in and get with it Dave

Dave Hutchins said:
You live in a great place Go to the """Cafe Flora"" you won't be disapointed I lived in Tacoma for 2 years .. DC is great place for all Foodies so jump in and get with it Dave

Cafe Flora is excellent, if a little rich for my blood...

When were you last in Tacoma? It's growing up; slowly becoming a sort of little Portland

Little Penguin. I was in Tacoma in 1961-62. I cooked for the Frontier coop herb company and learned a lot of veggie dishes all new to me I have always cooked in Country Clubs and Large Hotels. I will try to sanswer any questions you might have cooking wise

Back
Top Bottom