Amateur in the Kitchen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Margot Howe

Assistant Cook
I don't remember the first time my mother plopped me on the counter so I could help stir a batch of cookies. But I'm willing to bet that most everyone remembers their first unaccompanied foray into the kitchen. Mine came at age seven. Playing hookey from school (a sore throat or something similar) I had my heart set on whoopee pies. I'd seen enough of these marvelous chocolaty sandwiches come out of the oven. It sure looked easy enough. Reading the recipe was a cinch, but somehow my mind transposed 2 cups of flour into 2 Tbs of flour.

It was a curious thing. I just figured that that expanding puddle of batter was going to magically mound up into the cookies. It didn't with the first pan, nor the second pan. But I had a large collection of wafer thin cooked batter. And then my older sister walked in from school. Three years older and wiser in the ways of the kitchen, she quickly took over, corrected the batter, then forced me to eat the first two pans of my finished product. In the end, I had my favorite dessert but was too full to eat any. The family seemed to enjoy them, and nobody but big sister bothered to lecture me about the dangers of the kitchen. I think they felt I had been adequately scolded.

In remembering this childhood incident, I am reminded of things past. So much of what was in my mother's kitchen is now in mine. That old cast iron fry pan, the corn steamer, a certain two cup measuring cup... I still have some of those old cookie sheets kicking around somewhere.

Sixty years have passed since those whoopee pies were made, and though the recipe has not changed, the method of preparation has. The advent of the stand mixer has radically altered the method. Faster, more efficient, and I get a lump free batter; and the sticky addition of marshmallow cream to the filling is a breeze. It is so easy to tweak it a little now, and not end up wearing it.

Another wonderful baking item that I've come across is parchment paper. Right up until I discovered that, it was the wax paper that lined the round cake layer pans. I wonder just how much paraffin the body can handle. Parchment paper now lines every cookie sheet, cake pan, and jelly roll pan, regardless of the content. It sure makes those whoopee pies slip right off the pan. And what it does when it comes to cleanup is awesome. There isn't much of that at all.

Family dinners, meal bartering, and just plain baking and cooking to please my own palette have lead to many happy days in the kitchen. Don't you love a request for a favorite dessert? The advent of new kitchen products just increases that desire to get in there and test a new recipe. I think I've got the whoopee pies down pat now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good memories.... Now, we go from wax paper to parchment paper and the newest, silicone baking pads! Are we getting old or something? Just the same, welcome to DC.

Thank you for a well written story and childhood memory. Welcome to DC. Looking forward to more of your forays into the kitchen.

Thank you all for your welcoming comments. I enjoy writing and hope to entertain again soon. I've got lots of stories....

Addie . Illigitimi non-carborundum has been my catch phrase for many years. How funny that it comes from you. It brought me back many years. If I remember correctly it was the motto of AXA, a favorite fraternity on the Dartmouth campus. Thank you for that fun memory.

Addie . Illigitimi non-carborundum has been my catch phrase for many years. How funny that it comes from you. It brought me back many years. If I remember correctly it was the motto of AXA, a favorite fraternity on the Dartmouth campus. Thank you for that fun memory.

When the nasty people show up at my door, I just continue to smile and smile.

"Love your enemies. It will drive them crazy."

Great story thank you! The only thing I love more about baking with parchment paper, was finding the precut rounds and half sheet stacks at King Arthur. The curve of the rolls makes me nuts!

To Rparrny: I have found a supply of those sheets, too, but at a local cut rate shop. 9" Rounds, cookie sheets (half sheet size) like you, but also cupcake liners for Texas size muffins and the regular size, too. Love that King Arthur site for all the different things on it, though. K A is the go to for bread flour. Maybe I should think about putting them in my on line store....

To Rparrny: I have found a supply of those sheets, too, but at a local cut rate shop. 9" Rounds, cookie sheets (half sheet size) like you, but also cupcake liners for Texas size muffins and the regular size, too. Love that King Arthur site for all the different things on it, though. K A is the go to for bread flour. Maybe I should think about putting them in my on line store....
I love KA and will use no other brand of flour in my baking but they are pricey. They have a newer program similar to Amazon Prime where you pay an annual fee for free shipping. I did it this year for the first time but I'm not sure it was worth it for me...
I'm also mad at them for getting rid of the baking circle last year...an online forum for baking. I was a member forever...probably since it's inception well over a decade and some of the best bakers in the world would give recipes and advice...I really miss it.
KA has some online baking classes on Etsy and when on sale which is pretty often they are a good value. Before the whole wheat baking class, the only thing the WW bread I baked was was good for was a lethal weapon. Once I started soaking my WW flour in milk in advance and using white flour, not WW on the counter for dusting, my WW breads were amazing.
I would love to find a cheaper source for my parchment so if your store does stock it at a better price, please let me know.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom