another aussie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

byzance

Assistant Cook
Hi,as u can c,i'm from Australia.
I'm married to an American :LOL:.
We have 3 lovely kids :rolleyes:.
If possible,I would like to get some info on Texas,as we will be moving there in the future.Hubby is home sick and i'm willing to give it a go.
Anyway,hello from Australia.

Howdy! Welcome to DC.

What would you like to know about The Lone Star State? It's one of my favorite topics.

...welcome byzance. All I know about Texas is that everything is BIG there. If you have BIG hair and BIG feet you'll blend right in. Just kidding...but you'll surely fit in with a BIG smile! You might have to trade your Akubra in for a Cowboy Hat ;)

Thanks for the welcoming, DC community.
We are looking @ Austin 4 a variety of reasons.Husb grew up in Massach and also lived in Indiana.We r game 2 try something new,lol.
Any one who has info on Austin,thanks again,tell me everything,lol.
Schooling is a big issue,as we have 3 kids.
Safe areas,no idea where to start.
Thanks everyone.

Once The Republic of Texas, many nations have occupied our lands. A total of six flags have flown over what is now known as the State of Texas. Austin is the state capitol and has a rich history. Our capitol building looks very similar to the white house. Since everything in Texas has to be bigger our capitol building is too. It stands taller and broader than the White House back east in Washington. On top of the capitol dome is our Lady Liberty and she faces south. There is a specific reason for this, but it isn't considered polite conversation to discuss it further! Fair warning, it would be unwise to disparage her in any way within earshot of a true native Texan. :)

Austin is also home to the University of Texas - Hook 'em Horns. Since it is a college town, the population expands and contracts significantly with the school year. Both the University and the Capitol are more or less in the downtown area and real estate is at a premium near there. Many of the available jobs are going to be in some form for or about The State of Texas. The downtown area also has a reputation for being kind of um... well... weird. I think you should experience this first hand so I won't elaborate.

I'm not from there but have friends and colleagues there and have made many enjoyable visits. My understanding is that most of the better neighborhoods are well North and West of downtown. The Austin Chamber of Commerce can provide good information about schools, housing, and leading employers.

One of my favorite things to do in Austin is go the the Congress street bridge about a mile south from the capitol in the evening about dusk. The bridge is home to the worlds largest urban bat colony. More than 6 million individuals head into the the sky every evening.

When you get there be sure to look up a Tex-Mex restaurant named Chuy's.

Back
Top Bottom