Another NEW Member

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BBQBob

Assistant Cook
I stumbled across this site last month while looking for a recipe for smoked beans. I love BBQ'd foods and enjoy cooking food on a grill or smoker. :chef: I have cooked on a grill since I was a kid. When I moved to Kansas City almost 30 years ago I lived in a basement level apartment. Since the aprtment was half in the ground, I rigged the living room window to slide open. I could place my little 3-legged grill out on the ground and cook from my living room. And I grilled a lot of food from that window.

I have really gotten into smoking meats in the past 5 yrs, although I started about 20 yrs ago. I got an idea for a meat rub from my son, who got the idea from Ollie Gates when he was on a cooking show. I enjoy cooking briskets, pork roasts, ribs, chickens, and turkeys. I am going to try smoking some fish (salmon) this spring. I received a new Brinkman smoker to replace the old one I wore out and to supplement my indirect horizontal smoker.

I am looking forward to trying recipes from other members on this site.

Thanks, Callie
I don't have an exact recipe, I put it together on the fly. So I'll try to share it you.
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup Hungarian Paprika (or Spanish)
1/2 cup chili powder
2 tblsps onion flakes
1 tsp Cummin
1 tblsp coarse salt
1 tblsp meat tenderizer
1 tsp garlic powder
fresh ground black pepper
and a little crushed red pepper
Sometime I add Cayenne pepper

I am not always exact with the smaller amounts of the ingredients, I just add it all into a mixing bowl.
I like to rub it on the meat the day before I cook it and leave in the refrigerator overnight. I have used it on briskets, pork roasts, beef and pork ribs, and chicken.

Welcome to the site. My dad used to like smoked mullet. No one else would eat it with him so when he came to my house he would bring some and we would eat it together. I enjoyed it and don't understand why others didn't like it. A seafood place nearby smoked different kids of fish, but mullet was his choice. We haven't grilled anything lately except inside and I am ready to put something on there soon.

:) Thanks for sharing, Bob! Looks like a good rub, and we'll try it on a pork roast soon!!

img_234810_0_b604b64d17680d9562a4ca6bd3fd53fd.gif

The weather is a little warmer today, so I'm smoking a chicken this afternoon to break in my new Brinkman.

My wife and I just had some wonderful chicken. I injected it with a mixture of white cooking wine, olive oil, melted butter, marjoram, thyme, and garlic powder. I smoked it using charcoal and apple wood for about 5 hours. The meat was moist and tender and fell off the bone.

Back
Top Bottom