Another New One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sandman0248

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone,

I've been poking around DC for a few days, and I figured the polite thing to do would be to stop and say hello...so...hello! I have high hopes that this fine group of foodies will help me get my cooking mojo back. I'm a single guy in part-time grad school while working full time - which has resulted in me falling into the take-out rut. Not good. Looking forward to being inspired! :chef:

p.s. this is quite possibly the friendliest forum I've ever encountered. It's like a giant family in here!

Hi everyone,

I've been poking around DC for a few days, and I figured the polite thing to do would be to stop and say hello...so...hello! I have high hopes that this fine group of foodies will help me get my cooking mojo back. I'm a single guy in part-time grad school while working full time - which has resulted in me falling into the take-out rut. Not good. Looking forward to being inspired! :chef:

p.s. this is quite possibly the friendliest forum I've ever encountered. It's like a giant family in here!

Thank you so much for mentioning. We do try!

What are you studying in school? I'm a registered nurse.

If I haven't said so, Welcome to DC and remember to play with your food!

Well, hello, Sandman! You are correct, we have a great family here!

Business - MBA. Nothing glamorous. Currently making me a bit :wacko:

I wonder why my profile pic/avatar's not showing up. Hmmmm. Will have to play with that.

There's two different pictures, the one on your profile and then your avatar, you need to upload an Avatar which you can do from your User CP. It's under Settings and Options. Holler if you need more info!

There's two different pictures, the one on your profile and then your avatar, you need to upload an Avatar which you can do from your User CP. It's under Settings and Options. Holler if you need more info!

Woo-hoo, thanks! I need a Staples "That Was Easy" button.

Welcome to DC Sandman. I've done the working while going to school thing. I sympathize, it's tough to find time and energy to cook when you're that busy. Here's hoping we can inspire you.

Welcome to DC, Sandman! You're right, this is a very friendly forum. Besides sharing our common love of food, DCers care about one another--one big happy family with all its idiosyncrasies. Good luck with your studies. A friend did an MBA and went a little crazy at times as well. Just remember, this too shall pass and when you're done, you can add MBA after your name.

Welcome sandman,
glad you've joined us. If you need some easy quick recipes holler and I'm sure the family will help all they can. If you like soup I have an easy recipe up for bread soup you might like.
kadesma

Welcome, and i'm going to help you get your cooking mojo back. We'll start with easy, delicious, and lots for friends to share.

Purchase one boston Butt (about 4 to 5 lb. roast). Fire up your heaviest frying pan, preferable cast iron, over medium high heat. When the dry pan in hot, add a couple tbs. of cooking oil. Salt the roast on all sides and place it in the hot pan. Let it spit and sizzle for about 5 minutes, and turn it. Repeat until all sides a well browned.

While the butt is browning, peel and dice cut one large onion into chunks. Lay them all over the bottom of a slow cooker. Add 4 cloves of peeled and chopped garlic. Place the roast on top of the onion and garlic. Cover and cook on the medium setting overnight, and while you're in school.

When evening arrives, pull the roast into chunks with two forks. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with some good Carolina BBQ sauce, and good, crusty buns. Don't forget to pick up some slaw at the grocers. Invite your study buddies and gals, or enjoy with family, or all of the above.

Now your on the road back to cooking, without a ton of effort or complication.

Other easy recipes that can be made with little effort:

Pea Soup
Boiled Dinner
Slow Cooker Tamale Pie
Stews
gourmet burgers
steaks
chops (cook up some lamb chops with smashed, sweet spuds and a touch of maple syrup)
Pork Chops
Shredded Beef for tacos, enchiladas, burritos, etc.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Yeah, this is definitely the friendliest site I've ever ... well, I don't really "belong" to other forums ... this one fills all my needs, food and not, taking me through pet crises, family crises, in addition to helping with food and allowing me to help others through all of the above.
Welcome!

Welcome Aboard, Bienvenidos, Buonasera,

Publishing Journalist, Mom & Grandmom from Madrid Capital and Puglia, Italia.

This is truly a lovely group of aspiring Sybarites, innovative Gastronomes and down to earth and therapeutic Foodies in addition, to a great place to learn a new trick or two in the kitch.

Margi Cintrano.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom