Any other Chowhound refugees here?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

outRIAAge

Washing Up
I only recently re-joined Chowhound, and quickly got horrified by the redesign. So many really good cooking people, but all those bloody popups that (for example) make it impossible to log in.

I'm a total cooking fool, with lots of opinions and just as many questions. Can I get an opinion or two on this place?

Hello, people.

Stephen Foster

I only recently re-joined Chowhound, and quickly got horrified by the redesign. So many really good cooking people, but all those bloody popups that (for example) make it impossible to log in....

Hello, people.

Stephen Foster
Hello, Stephen. Welcome to DC.

Another lover of Adblock Plus. I visit Chowhound on occasion, just wanted to check to make sure it works. Yup. When I landed on their main page, Adblock had trapped 19 ads/popups. Clicked on one of the promoted articles and it caught another 9 ads.

Just make sure that when you get Adblock installed and have no problems with Chowhound you still come around here, OK? ;)

Thanks for the adblock suggestions. My main computer bricked itself a couple of weeks ago, and I don't yet have adblock installed on my backup. But Chowhound used to be really good, and now it's utter crap. Unfortunately, they own an amazing resource of cooking ideas from contributors. I've got lots of disk space, so just to be safe, I'm going to download the entire site. Sue me.

I'll reinstall Adblock, which I utterly love, but my question was about the quality of this site. How long have you been here? Is there too much noise from smiling Rachael Ray wannabees? I do FOOD, from scratch, and want to talk to people who do the same.

Hi and welcome to DC, glad to have you join us. I've been here for many years, and some have been here for many years before me. I too have Adblocker Plus and have visited Chowhound without a problem, although I don't contribute there, just lurk and learn.
I'm more comfortable here in a daily community feel.

... but my question was about the quality of this site. How long have you been here? Is there too much noise from smiling Rachael Ray wannabees? I do FOOD, from scratch, and want to talk to people who do the same.
THIS site? As in "DC"? Well, as far a quality goes, there is none finer.
GLEN_BA003.jpg

DC has been around for over a decade. Many active members have been here since its inception. I've been here almost 7 (officially, next month) but with a 2+ year sabbatical for personal business. Most of us do food "from scratch". Some scratch harder than others. Many pickle veggies, some have cured their own bacon, lots of members are into smoking meat, quite a few bread bakers...you get the idea.

As far as Chowhound goes? I'm not there often. Kinda a personal boycott...I'm a native Clevelander and hate having to hunt through all of the forum sub-categories just to find the posts. I'd rather talk food and cooking on this site.

Thanks for all the good responses

Thank you, all, for your input. This feels like a good place: I'll take my hat off and stay awhile. But of course keep contributing to this thread if you feel like it.

I've been here for a long time and at Chowhound for about 8 years.

Different places but both very informative and fun.

No amount of ad blocking will save the horrific redesign of Chowhound. Ads are the least of the problems.

Have to tried The Onion? Lots of Chowhound refugees there.

Chow Hound was kinda fun at one time. No more!!! It totally sucks! New format is impossible. To many pompous, pious, elitist, braggadocios arses there too! I've been back once...by accident. Don't waste your time there...unless you enjoy discussing "tipping" and other hot topics of the day ad nauseam on a weekly/daily basis.

Discuss cooking is more user friendly. Friendlier people. Anything you can learn there you can learn here....just ask. Spend your time wisely on Discuss Cooking...not there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom