Appliance purchases

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pattiw

Assistant Cook
Hi.

I'm new to discusscooking.com. I've been reading some postings re: wolf vs viking ranges. I'm building a new home and need to purchase EVERYTHING. I always thought I'd buy the 48 Viking but so many complaints make me rethink. Anybody have any suggestions Wolf? Thermador? DCS? Any??? and am also looking at the new Sub Zerio with the glass doors. Price tag is $12,000 - is this worth it or does anyone have suggestions. What is Sub Zero's closest competitor??

Thanks everyone. I'm glad to be part of this site.:chef:

Welcome to the site. i can not really give you any info on what you are asking, but thought I would share this anyway in case you find it helpful.

My parents have a Sub Zero fridge. It is a beautiful fridge and has a ton of space and is laid out great. they have had many expensive problems with it though. Each repair is in the thousands. Because the fridge is not a standard size they are forced to repair it instead of getting a different fridge. I do not know if their ranges are any better, but before you get a Sub Zero make sure you do plenty of research on how often they break down and how much they cost to repair.

I have a Viking.. all gas. We have enjoyed it. We've had some problems with the electronic ignitors for the oven...had to replace them a couple of times over 8 or so years. If I had it to do over again...I think I would go with a dual fuel model.

My suggestion would be...regardless of the make/model/brand you buy, make sure there is someone who services the product after the sale. Especially during the warranty period.

Have Fun!

... My suggestion would be...regardless of the make/model/brand you buy, make sure there is someone who services the product after the sale. Especially during the warranty period.

Have Fun!

I would just add, if possible, make sure there is more than one someone :ermm:

The company we bought our dishwasher from last year was also a servicer, but went out of business last spring. :glare:

Welcome to DC patti- I can't advise you on Wolf vs Viking or even Sub-Z's.... I just wish I had that problem! :LOL:

No worries though-this place is crawling with nice, knowledgeable people who are always willing to help!!

I went to a major appliance retailer here in Seattle and had discussions about all the major high end brands. They seem to think the Dacor 48" dual fuel is the way to go. Dacor! And you probably all know DCS bought Fisher Paykel? THe looks of the Dacor are so beautiful compared to the Wofl. I will probably buy it based on: 15" grates on the cooktop; it comes with a wok ring and a beautiful griddle. I really didn't want the griddle to be a permanent part of the cooktop. Also, the heating element is not exposed but can be accessed from the front of the oven (you don't have to pull out the range to service this) and also the broiler element is behind glass - all for easier cleaning. I have to research how accurate the temp is but so far I'm Dacor!

Okay, the rebel in me has to post on this one. I have been turning out some pretty fantastic meals over my 48 years of cooking and I gotta tell you all, if you aren't a good cook , a Viking or Dacor range isn't going to make you one. If you are a good cook, a toaster oven and a hot plate will still turn out a good meal.

I have a 24 cubic foot Amana bottom freezer fridge. Nine years old, never been repaired. I paid $750.00 on a Sears sale. It keeps my food at 36 degrees in my fridge and zero in my freezer. That's all I ask.

My range is a GE Profile. Cost me $650.00 again at Sears 8 years ago. I can cook everything from any recipe in the world on this range. It heats, period. The rest is up to me. Again, in all my years of cooking I have never had a repair on any major appliance in my kitchen. I can't even begin to imagine why anyone would spend $12,000 on a refrigerator. What does it do to merit that kind of expense. You gotta tell me. Am I alone on this?

Okay, the rebel in me has to post on this one. I have been turning out some pretty fantastic meals over my 48 years of cooking and I gotta tell you all, if you aren't a good cook , a Viking or Dacor range isn't going to make you one. If you are a good cook, a toaster oven and a hot plate will still turn out a good meal.

I have a 24 cubic foot Amana bottom freezer fridge. Nine years old, never been repaired. I paid $750.00 on a Sears sale. It keeps my food at 36 degrees in my fridge and zero in my freezer. That's all I ask.

My range is a GE Profile. Cost me $650.00 again at Sears 8 years ago. I can cook everything from any recipe in the world on this range. It heats, period. The rest is up to me. Again, in all my years of cooking I have never had a repair on any major appliance in my kitchen. I can't even begin to imagine why anyone would spend $12,000 on a refrigerator. What does it do to merit that kind of expense. You gotta tell me. Am I alone on this?

Yeah, I can relate Drama Q. When I changed my kitchen around a few years ago, I opted for the Sears Kenmore Elite brand cooktop and double wall oven. They were on sale and affordable and do everything that I need. But, I can also understand other peoples taste. If you're fortunate enough to be able to build the kitchen of your dreams, then why not? Of course a $12,000.00 fridge in my neighborhood would stick out like a sore thumb!!!

If patti is building a fancy home then it needs top end appliances to go with it. I dont think she is thinking one stove cooks better than another.

If i remember correctly the sub zero refer is built into the house and some have the compressor located in a basement or garage.

Some of my customers in massapequa park LINY had refers that looked like part of the wall.

Very impressive stuff.

If you can afford it go for it and enjoy.

My afterthought is to get a garland stainless 6 burner range with dual ovens--You cant get too much more pro than that.

Garland X60-6R24RR SunFire 6 Burner Gas Range with 24" Raised Griddle/Broiler and Two Standard Ovens

Less than 3 thousand

Here are some specs

The Garland X60-6R24RR SunFire six-burner range with a 24" raised griddle/broiler and two standard ovens comes packed with features that enhance its convenience and usability. Its sturdy yet economical design is ideal for those looking for a basic restaurant range without additional frills or expensive add-ons. Six powerful 30,000 BTU two- piece burners are set in split cast iron ergonomic grates.

The 24" griddle/broiler section has a 5/8" thick griddle plate, 3 cast iron "H" style burners rated at 14,500 BTU each, and manual hi/low valve controls.

The standard ovens each feature a robust 33,000 BTU steel tube burner, and a nickel plated oven rack with a fixed 2-position removeable guide. Plus, the ribbed porcelain oven bottoms and door interiors and aluminized tops, sides, and backs make cleanup a snap!

The X60-6R24RR SunFire features easy-to-modulate oven thermostats with a temperature range from low to 500 degrees Fahrenheit for flexibility and versatility.

The Garland X60-6R24RR SunFire is easy to clean, thanks to its stainless steel front and sides. With a large, 27" deep work top surface and a 4" stainless steel plate rail, you'll have plenty of room to work.

The Garland X60-6R24RR SunFire range is available in liquid propane or natural gas configurations, and measures 60"W x 33 1/2"D x 36"H (w/ legs). Its total height with shelf is 57".

If i remember correctly the sub zero refer is built into the house and some have the compressor located in a basement or garage.

Some of my customers in massapequa park LINY had refers that looked like part of the wall.

Very impressive stuff.
There is a down side to that though. My parents re-did their kitchen about 15-20 years ago. They got a sub Zero fridge that was built into the wall. It is a beautiful fridge and I love how it is long buy somewhat shallow so you have a ton of space for food and nothing gets lost in the back.

The downside is that they have had problems with the fridge and the parts are extremely expensive. Some of the parts cost as much as a brand new regular fridge. Because the Sub Zero is built into the wall it can not just be replaced with a regular fridge. A reg fridge would just not fit in that space. So now they are locked into replacing it with another Sub Zero when the time comes or doing a substantial redesign of part of their kitchen.

There is a down side to that though. My parents re-did their kitchen about 15-20 years ago. They got a sub Zero fridge that was built into the wall. It is a beautiful fridge and I love how it is long buy somewhat shallow so you have a ton of space for food and nothing gets lost in the back.

The downside is that they have had problems with the fridge and the parts are extremely expensive. Some of the parts cost as much as a brand new regular fridge. Because the Sub Zero is built into the wall it can not just be replaced with a regular fridge. A reg fridge would just not fit in that space. So now they are locked into replacing it with another Sub Zero when the time comes or doing a substantial redesign of part of their kitchen.

When you buy a sub Zero you are not worried about $$$$

Back
Top Bottom