"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 09-10-2008, 12:45 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Smile Appliance purchases

Hi.

I'm new to discusscooking.com. I've been reading some postings re: wolf vs viking ranges. I'm building a new home and need to purchase EVERYTHING. I always thought I'd buy the 48 Viking but so many complaints make me rethink. Anybody have any suggestions Wolf? Thermador? DCS? Any??? and am also looking at the new Sub Zerio with the glass doors. Price tag is $12,000 - is this worth it or does anyone have suggestions. What is Sub Zero's closest competitor??

Thanks everyone. I'm glad to be part of this site.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:04 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

Welcome to the site. i can not really give you any info on what you are asking, but thought I would share this anyway in case you find it helpful.

My parents have a Sub Zero fridge. It is a beautiful fridge and has a ton of space and is laid out great. they have had many expensive problems with it though. Each repair is in the thousands. Because the fridge is not a standard size they are forced to repair it instead of getting a different fridge. I do not know if their ranges are any better, but before you get a Sub Zero make sure you do plenty of research on how often they break down and how much they cost to repair.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:18 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I have a Viking.. all gas. We have enjoyed it. We've had some problems with the electronic ignitors for the oven...had to replace them a couple of times over 8 or so years. If I had it to do over again...I think I would go with a dual fuel model.

My suggestion would be...regardless of the make/model/brand you buy, make sure there is someone who services the product after the sale. Especially during the warranty period.

Have Fun!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 01:31 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
... My suggestion would be...regardless of the make/model/brand you buy, make sure there is someone who services the product after the sale. Especially during the warranty period.

Have Fun!
I would just add, if possible, make sure there is more than one someone

The company we bought our dishwasher from last year was also a servicer, but went out of business last spring.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:35 PM   #5
Sous Chef

my dear SO. who sells marble and granite counter tops For a living...
Sez Wolf..

Eric, Austin Tx.
Old 09-12-2008, 03:06 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Welcome to DC patti- I can't advise you on Wolf vs Viking or even Sub-Z's.... I just wish I had that problem!

No worries though-this place is crawling with nice, knowledgeable people who are always willing to help!!
Old 09-12-2008, 07:21 PM   #7
Executive Chef

I can't advise either, Patti, but I hope you'll share pics when you get your kitchen finished so I can drool over them! And welcome to DC.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:26 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

I went to a major appliance retailer here in Seattle and had discussions about all the major high end brands. They seem to think the Dacor 48" dual fuel is the way to go. Dacor! And you probably all know DCS bought Fisher Paykel? THe looks of the Dacor are so beautiful compared to the Wofl. I will probably buy it based on: 15" grates on the cooktop; it comes with a wok ring and a beautiful griddle. I really didn't want the griddle to be a permanent part of the cooktop. Also, the heating element is not exposed but can be accessed from the front of the oven (you don't have to pull out the range to service this) and also the broiler element is behind glass - all for easier cleaning. I have to research how accurate the temp is but so far I'm Dacor!
Old 10-17-2008, 12:26 PM   #9
Head Chef

Okay, the rebel in me has to post on this one. I have been turning out some pretty fantastic meals over my 48 years of cooking and I gotta tell you all, if you aren't a good cook , a Viking or Dacor range isn't going to make you one. If you are a good cook, a toaster oven and a hot plate will still turn out a good meal.

I have a 24 cubic foot Amana bottom freezer fridge. Nine years old, never been repaired. I paid $750.00 on a Sears sale. It keeps my food at 36 degrees in my fridge and zero in my freezer. That's all I ask.

My range is a GE Profile. Cost me $650.00 again at Sears 8 years ago. I can cook everything from any recipe in the world on this range. It heats, period. The rest is up to me. Again, in all my years of cooking I have never had a repair on any major appliance in my kitchen. I can't even begin to imagine why anyone would spend $12,000 on a refrigerator. What does it do to merit that kind of expense. You gotta tell me. Am I alone on this?
Old 10-17-2008, 12:58 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
Okay, the rebel in me has to post on this one. I have been turning out some pretty fantastic meals over my 48 years of cooking and I gotta tell you all, if you aren't a good cook , a Viking or Dacor range isn't going to make you one. If you are a good cook, a toaster oven and a hot plate will still turn out a good meal.

I have a 24 cubic foot Amana bottom freezer fridge. Nine years old, never been repaired. I paid $750.00 on a Sears sale. It keeps my food at 36 degrees in my fridge and zero in my freezer. That's all I ask.

My range is a GE Profile. Cost me $650.00 again at Sears 8 years ago. I can cook everything from any recipe in the world on this range. It heats, period. The rest is up to me. Again, in all my years of cooking I have never had a repair on any major appliance in my kitchen. I can't even begin to imagine why anyone would spend $12,000 on a refrigerator. What does it do to merit that kind of expense. You gotta tell me. Am I alone on this?
Yeah, I can relate Drama Q. When I changed my kitchen around a few years ago, I opted for the Sears Kenmore Elite brand cooktop and double wall oven. They were on sale and affordable and do everything that I need. But, I can also understand other peoples taste. If you're fortunate enough to be able to build the kitchen of your dreams, then why not? Of course a $12,000.00 fridge in my neighborhood would stick out like a sore thumb!!!