Avast! A newbie!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, Crocodile is one meat that I haven't tried (Crocodiles being hard to come by in these parts), but alligator is mighty good. I have had (farm raised) alligator fried and in a sort of gumbo. It actually tastes a lot like rattlesnake and/or frog legs (neither of which, BTW, taste like chicken, regardless of reports to the contrary). Reptile meat is a dense meat, with little fat, snakes are mostly muscle meat and some folks call it tough. While it is a little chewy, a little extra cooking time and cutting the meat across the grain to shorten the muscle fiber will help. The taste is similar to pork but with a tinge of (and I hate to use the word because of negative connotations) fishiness (but in a good way.)
Of course, as with a lot of foods, the manner of preparation affects the taste, too.

It makes perfect sense that reptile meat is quite lean, and especially that snakes have that 'tough' tendency (I'd be shocked if it didn't considering its ability to move is based on a complete body motion. That takes some serious muscle!).

This makes me more curious to try crocodile now (I'd guess there would be fair similarity between gator and croc meat anyway). Thank you for sharing this!

Kathleen - Now you have me curious... was there perhaps... a Salmon Incident? *cue dramatic suspense music*. :LOL:

Kathleen - Now you have me curious... was there perhaps... a Salmon Incident? *cue dramatic suspense music*. :LOL:

:)

Back in college, I wanted to make something that did not seem like college food (pasta, burgers, fries, etc.) for dinner with my parents. My mother is an excellent cook, but I wanted the meal to be "mine" and not just a variation of something she made. In my pantry, I had several tins of salmon.

While at school, I went to the home economics library and explored their cookbook section for salmon recipes. Needless to say, I found tons of salmon cake recipes for tin salmon. Then I found the most BEAUTIFUL picture of something called Salmon Mousse. Additionally, it gave an entire meal plan and STEP BY STEP pictures to assure perfection. To show that I was meant to make this recipe, the mold used for the mousse was in my college kitchen possession! Can you say karma? I checked out the book.

The entire meal was comprised of items that I could afford on my meager college budget. A bread and there was a veggie dish....I don't remember what they were, but they were all designed to compliment the star of the show: Salmon Mousse! For dessert, I remember that I scooped ice cream with some Pepperidge Farm Cookies.

Well, I made it. When removing it from the mold, which I have never done well, it came out PERFECT. It was beautiful. Just like the picture. I was delighted as plating has never been a strength for me. Well, dinnertime arrived...I set the table...lots of oooooo's and ahhhhhs.....then everyone tasted it.

It tasted terrible. Not really like salmon....or any other ingredient. Not like the cream cheese or gelatin....or....anything like I have ever had. The texture was like a rough gelatin. For anyone who remembers the old cottage cheese and jello dishes...like that, which was horrible. Then...the lingering fishy aftertaste.

Well, mother was polite...we all poked it about on the plate...then my father (the ultimate king of NOT PC) said, "I'm buying dinner." We all sighed happily and went out. To this day, the words "Kathleen, could you make that salmon mousse" means "Daddy, would you take us to the steakhouse?" No one has ever told him that I did not keep the recipe.

It was so bad the cat would not eat it. :LOL:

The chocolate ice cream and cookies were awesome though!

~Kathleen

Last edited:
Oh nooooo..... I can't help but laugh but that's truly worthy of the title "The Salmon Incident". Perhaps you found the secret to food photography when it comes to salmon mousse - they sure look pretty but that's the reality of how they get them so pretty! You never know...

Ah well, experience is experience. On the upside it's a fabulous story to tell others, plus with a whole new meaning to 'let's get take out' :LOL:

Welcome!! I am new to DC too!! :]

I once came up with a really strange concoction in highschool... American cheese mixed with applesauce. I loved it at the time, but I probably would not recommend it to anyone now, lol! What was I thinking?!

Welcome!! I am new to DC too!! :]

I once came up with a really strange concoction in highschool... American cheese mixed with applesauce. I loved it at the time, but I probably would not recommend it to anyone now, lol! What was I thinking?!

Indeed! What were you thinking! Oh. Wait a minutes. There are people who love a slice of American cheese on top of hot apple pie. I have been known to put the a couple slices between two pieces of french toast, or on top of pancakes, and then pour on the syrup.

American cheese actually compliments may sweet foods. Though it's not common, what you did certainly isn't all that far out there.:chef:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Indeed! What were you thinking! Oh. Wait a minutes. There are people who love a slice of American cheese on top of hot apple pie. I have been known to put the a couple slices between two pieces of french toast, or on top of pancakes, and then pour on the syrup.

American cheese actually compliments may sweet foods. Though it's not common, what you did certainly isn't all that far out there.:chef:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Ohhh wow! How bout that. I had no idea it actually went with similar foods!! I will have to try it on some other sweets now that I know it's not so crazy after all, lol! :ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom