Back!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A few more details about my move:

My first day shopping for cleaning supplies at Walmart I spotted a Hamilton Beach 1000 watt microwave on sale for $65. I've got both Cuisinart and HB immersion blenders and like the HB better, so I got the microwave and it's great! I don't know why anybody would pay more than $65 for a microwave...

I have so many things on my punch list that I decided to accelerate the couch/chair thing quick and dirty: At Goodwill I bought a funky couch for $65 and a somewhat less funky upholstered chair for $35. The chair is okay (although a bit ugly), the couch is going to need some kind of cover. I checked BBB and a nice cover is about $150, scratch that. I'll try Target tomorrow. If they have no cheapo solutions I'll just make my own cover from the queen sheets from the trailer, they're fairly new and don't fit my king, so I can just cut and safety pin to get an acceptable solution for a few months. Renting was going to start at $150/month with a 3 month minimum rental contract. Yeah, duh.

I bought about a dozen+ chili plants, tomato plants, squash & zucchini. Have yet to figure out where to plant them.

The neighbors are nice, particularly the family to the west. The guy across the street introduced himself and asked me to quit parking in front of his house. There is no parking on my side of the street. Uh... He wanted me to park up the block. I'm still parking my pick-up across the street when I need to. Now I know who the neighborhood jerk is.

Only one of the burners on the cook top lights itself. Two of them won't light when I get the igniter going on a burner where the igniter works. The electric oven works but the broiler doesn't.

Oh and I'm growing a beard, not because I want one but because I haven't had time to shave. Running dawn to dusk (and then some, still working now and haven't had dinner yet, now 7:30 p.m. local) but expect to shave before next date with GF. I'm beginning to look like my avatar. I sure wish I knew where to get the hat...

Last edited:
Oh and I love the fridge! (Maytag) French style, two doors, two drawers. Coming from a trailer fridge (a little larger than a bar fridge) it's maybe twice the volume of my fridge at the old house. Ice water and cubes or crushed ice in the door of course. Do they make GPS units that work in a fridge??? ;)

The neighbor sounds like you're going to have some upcoming problems. People think they own the street. We have a neighbor who picks up every leaf in his yard every moment of the day. I live on a deadend street that is lined with sycamore trees that were planted in 1924 so there's a lot of leaves coming down all the time. He freaks out if any of our leaves from our maple trees go into his yard. We keep hoping he moves soon. He is up there in age, born in 1928 and his wife isn't all that healthy either but he's hanging on. I could never figure out why people move to the country if they don't like what the country life has to offer.

We decided to hold off on a camper. We are less then 4 years of paying off our house so we are just going to wait until then.

Most of the '28 models are expiring soon. Last house I had an AH neighbor who poured herbicide on my fledgeling aspens along the back of my yard (presumably because he didn't want aspen leaves in his swimming pool). The AH died several years later (two decades ago) and the new neighbor drained the pool and left it empty ever after.

The moral of the story is that you can outlast them. My new house has neighbors on either side, and HOA commons behind, wide enough to never know my neighbors behind. The neighbors on my west seem very nice and friendly, the neighbors on the east seem quiet and reserved. The AH across the street can go stuff it. No parking on my side and the closest public parking is in front of his house, room for about 4 vehicles.

I'll make room when I can but I own two vehicles, and I have two spots in my driveway to park. My garage is full of moving stuff and when GF comes over I insist that she has reserved parking in my driveway. So the truck goes on the street if GF is visiting.

Neighbor should learn to deal with it. Neighbor should come to reality and understand that there is no reserved parking on public streets.

I'm selling the truck in a month or two (just after I sell my 5th wheel trailer, gotta get rid of the trailer before the puller so I won't lose the ability to move it). By then (several weeks from now) I'll have my garage cleared out and my stuff moved in, and my driveway will have plenty of off-street parking for my guests. I vastly prefer parking my 4Runner in my garage when I'm home, to keep it clean. And it confuses the heck out of potential burglars to not know when you're home.

I hope the AH across the street will just adhere to being reasonable. We all own the public commons...

Last edited:
We had a neighbor who parked his boat on the street. When he would go off fishing, he would expect everyone to leave his space vacant for him. We were having a bbq one time and some of my guests parked in front of his house (public street, public parking). His wife called over the back fence while we were grilling and visiting and told us that her husband will be home soon with the boat and that someone had better move their car right now or she would call the cops. I told her that we would move the car after we were done eating and then her husband could park his damn boat. Well, she called the cops, and I am sure they told her that it is a public street, and that as long as the car had current plates, that it could park there. Well, next thing ya know, the cop is knocking on the front door asking for me. I went to the door and he said that I needed to show identification because the neighbor said that I was harassing her! Long story short...we extended the party longer than originally planned, and he had to park the boat a block away and wait until our guests left our house. That was not the only run-in with these neighbors.

Good story Chopper! :)

I'm pretty sure you aren't another Chopper I once knew on the Internet who gave me some Thai recipes. If you are please PM me. Otherwise, just another popular Internet name. (Are you a biker or are you a chef? Either applies.)

Greg just treat the horse's arss across the street with lots of smiles. I firmly believe in "Love your enemy, it will drive him crazy." A lot of smiles with an "I understand how you feel." Just agree with everything he says and then go on your way. It is so hard to argue with a happy person who won't argue back. :angel:

Yeah Addie that's what I did the first time. I haven't seen him since. My pick-up is parked in the spot he designated for his daughter. My driveway has a reserved empty space for GF. She's not expected tonight, but who knows? ;)

Just let me add, I parked in the wide empty 4 spaces and backed up as far as possible until I was exactly the legal minimum to not infringe his driveway. This was so nobody would block my pick-up in, since I need it tomorrow for moving the remainder of my stuff from my storage space.

The spot is exactly in front of his house, and the spot is exactly in front of MY house. And there's no parking on my side of the street. (They got the parking, we got the views! -- I'm in a hilly area.) ;)

Last edited:
Yeah Addie that's what I did the first time. I haven't seen him since. My pick-up is parked in the spot he designated for his daughter. My driveway has a reserved empty space for GF. She's not expected tonight, but who knows? ;)

Just let me add, I parked in the wide empty 4 spaces and backed up as far as possible until I was exactly the legal minimum to not infringe his driveway. This was so nobody would block my pick-up in, since I need it tomorrow for moving the remainder of my stuff from my storage space.

The spot is exactly in front of his house, and the spot is exactly in front of MY house. And there's no parking on my side of the street. (They got the parking, we got the views! -- I'm in a hilly area.) ;)

:LOL: Good for you Greg. He is probably hiding behind his curtains looking out at your truck mumbling to himself since he has no one to argue with. Kill him with kindness! :angel:

Why do people think they are the only one who matters in this world?

My idiot father was a real jerk too. We had a neighbor who use to go chopping wood with my dad but once he figured out that my dad was a jerk he started taking a different neighbor & this got my dad upset so he built this shed right next to the neighbor's veggie garden so it would be blocked from the morning sun.

This started a war. I don't exactly remember what the neighbor did but I do know that my dad started poisoning all his trees.

I'm glad neither one of those men are in my life.

:LOL: Good for you Greg. He is probably hiding behind his curtains looking out at your truck mumbling to himself since he has no one to argue with. Kill him with kindness! :angel:

I doubt it. He has a bigger house, and a beautiful view of the hill behind his house and my truck parked in front. If he wasn't such a jerk I'd tell him the reality that I'm selling my truck in 2-3 months, and as soon as I get my stuff moved from my garage to inside I'll parking my SUV in the garage, to keep it clean. GF can take her pick of left or right, and my other guests can pick the remaining space in the driveway. I won't need the street unless I have more than two guest vehicles.

I dread the thought that one day I may have to choose between GF parking in the garge... or my table saw...

This started a war. I don't exactly remember what the neighbor did but I do know that my dad started poisoning all his trees.

I don't want to read the back topic but that's what happened to me, my damned neighbor poisoned my aspens with herbicide because he didn't like that my privacy screen would shed leaves into his swimming pool. (I recall posting about that...)

So the jerk died and probably nobody cares about it... except his family which was probably glad to see the jerk converted into an inheritance. <snerky grin!>

I don't want to read the back topic but that's what happened to me, my damned neighbor poisoned my aspens with herbicide because he didn't like that my privacy screen would shed leaves into his swimming pool. (I recall posting about that...)

So the jerk died and probably nobody cares about it... except his family which was probably glad to see the jerk converted into an inheritance. <snerky grin!>

I just love your thinking. But that choice of the GF vs the table saw. That's a tough one. If I were a guy I would probably pick the saw. You can always get a new GF. :angel:

Why do people think they are the only one who matters in this world?

My idiot father was a real jerk too. We had a neighbor who use to go chopping wood with my dad but once he figured out that my dad was a jerk he started taking a different neighbor & this got my dad upset so he built this shed right next to the neighbor's veggie garden so it would be blocked from the morning sun.

I'm glad neither one of those men are in my life.
That sounds like "Angry Old Men"

Oh the joys of home ownership.

Congrats Greg.

Now you can forget about having extra money.

The house always seems to come up with a way of spending it. ;)

"But that choice of the GF vs the table saw. That's a tough one. If I were a guy I would probably pick the saw. You can always get a new GF. :angel: "

Just remember that when the blade gets dull on the saw you can replace just the blade. I don't think it works that way on the GF. :whistling

If it were me I'd pick the GF. :wub:

Oh the joys of home ownership.

Congrats Greg.

Now you can forget about having extra money.

The house always seems to come up with a way of spending it. ;)

No it's not that at all. I've lived in a trailer for the last two years, I lived in a house 33 years before that (and apartments before my first house).

The simple truth is that if somebody can buy a housing unit as an investment and make a profit on it, you can buy that same housing unit yourself and live in it at a lower price because you're not contributing to the support of an investor/parasite.

Dig deeper and you'll discover that our government (US) is printing money like it's going out of style (it is). They're running the money printing presses 24/7/365 and every time they print another dollar without any gold standard all the other dollars devalue a bit. The house I bought this month will always be worth the same in real money irrespective of the value of the dollar, or lack thereof, because a place to live has true value and it will always have true value because people need places to live.

Or look at it this way: you can rent a place month to month, or you can get a quantity discount by buying it forever. Any way you look at it it's cheaper for me to live in this house than it could ever be renting some house or apartment. Probably cheaper for anybody/everybody who knows where they want to live the next several years and has the capital to invest in a house.

Or another way to look at it, compare it to the stock market. The stock market has a historic cyclic pattern, it goes up and down in cycles, but over many decades there is a recognizable pattern: the average is always up (a straight line approximation that filters out hills and valleys). Each time the stock market reaches a peak it declines, sometimes just a minor fluctuation, sometimes a major readjustment.

But looking at the stock market fluctuations another pattern becomes apparent. This is a very imprecise pattern, but in approximation every time the stock market reaches a peak and then falls it falls to a level about half way between the new recent peak and the last valley.

This is a very rough approximation, but you can wrap it up in a catchy phrase: take two steps forward then fall one step back, take two steps forward then fall one step back, take two steps forward then fall one step back...

I believe the housing market follows the same pattern. It goes through peaks and troughs but the overall pattern is ever upwards. There are two reasons for this: the stock market and the housing market are both cyclic, and there is a constant background of inflation or devaluation of currency (same thing). This is because inflation/devaluation is the carrot that the the government dangles in front of the donkey (i.e. the public) to keep everybody working to achieve more.

And again looking at a different way, the US national debt is stratospheric. We are owned by Communist China. The baby boomers are retiring earlier and living longer. The US government is in a bind. There is only one way out: inflation or devaluation of the dollar.

Yeah, we aren't experiencing much inflation, right? Just keep in mind who is in charge of keeping the statistics: the government. Would they lie to us? (LMAO, you make up your own mind.)

Just as a fun experiment, look at energy prices (gasoline prices 1, 2 or 5 years ago) or housing prices. In my market segment house closings are rising at least $1000 per month, or more.

Yet the government says "no significant inflation." Yeah right. (Aside: Q, how do you know a politician is lying? A, their lips are moving...)

I paid cash for my house: no mortgage. That's because I owned my previous house 33 years and it was paid off, and I didn't spend the proceeds...

So look at it in yet another different way: I'm not living in a house, I'm living in a bank! My Social Security income is all I get and it doesn't come even remotely close to covering my living costs. But I live in a bank. When my savings run out I can tap the bank and start living on my equity (reverse mortgage).

So getting back to your original statement Zagut, I DO have extra money and it's the investment in my house. I'm a baby boomer just barely retired and I expect to live in this home for the rest of my life. When the money runs out I'll turn the house into a bank and I'll continue to live here until (a) as Western fables goes, he/they lived happily ever after, or (b) Eastern, he/they lived happily ever after until the Great Destroyer took them.

Oh and by the way I'm a very experienced home improvement enthusiast. Most of the home maintenance I do myself, along with the improvements. I'm going to be very busy!!!

"But that choice of the GF vs the table saw. That's a tough one. If I were a guy I would probably pick the saw. You can always get a new GF. :angel: "

Just remember that when the blade gets dull on the saw you can replace just the blade. I don't think it works that way on the GF. :whistling

If it were me I'd pick the GF. :wub:

I really like GF and I'm liking her more every day, but we are not committed and she owns her own very beautiful house in The Valley (SFV). I'm pretty sure that the choice of table saw or GF is in our remote future. We are both having a great time and GF will always have her own private parking spot in my driveway.

If I know she's coming I'll park my pick-up truck on the street. If AH neighbor doesn't like it I can remind him to look up the definition of "public street" and remind him that non-commercial vehicles can be parked in a residential area for up to 72 hours (in L.A. county). Life's a b**** when your delusional belief systems includes the expectation that you have a legal or moral right to park in front of your house.

Oh I forgot to say, my original reason for updating this topic! :)

I've passed another significant milestone today! And it's ever so fitting since today is the solstice, the first day of summer! I don't believe in any of that New Age stuff, but I'm very fond of the astronomical (not astrological) congruence of events: Today was the longest day of the year...

And today I moved my last pick-up truck load of possessions from my storage unit to my home. I said goodbye to my favorite PS employee Helena and I promised I'll drop in and chat her up from time to time (and I will). She was so nice to me!!! :)

Now everything I own in this real world is located at my home except for my RV which is in storage. I have finally completed moving in!

I live here now and everything I own is here in my new home! My dear sr. citizen dog is here too and he's finally becoming adjusted to our new (huge!!!) back yard! He is exploring going where no dog has every gone before, or if not that at least not recently. ;)

I am home. I will live here as long as any and all of you know me. I expect to live here for the rest of my active life. It's been my life dream since I started working and realized that I needed an end game, has become true.

And also, I have a sr. citizen dog (he's 15) and I've finally taken him to the promised land. We have a huge back yard and he's taking an active role in fertilizing and watering every part of it! Just the last few days he has started to feel comfortable (not tentative) and he prances and runs up and down the whole property and it is now his domain!

I'll be happy to continue this topic as long as there is any interest in the discussion, or in points brought up during the discussion and the digressions, but the essential point of the OP is complete. I'm back. I'm home. After two years in a very aggressive and competitive housing market I have finally succeeded in finding my own home, and it is better than I ever imagined it could be... There was a heavy application of luck and/or fate, and a lot of perspiration and inspiration too...

I am home!!! :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom