Big Dog is in the house!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigDog

Head Chef
Howdy!

Now that I have posted for a while, I guess I can introduce myself and what brought me here.

I have a bachelor of science degree in law enforcement, which for a variety of reasons is turning out to be a dead end career path. Being 29 (almost 30) and not having started a career path, it's high time I get into action!

Growing up I had some experience in food service, working at a summer camp in the kitchen. In the summer, we had about 10 people including the head chef in the kitchen. Teams of 5 were made, and first shift worked breakfast through lunch clean up and second shift worked lunch through dinner cleanup/breakfast prep. For a brief time in the fall, me, myself, and I was the sole operator of said kitchen. With the assistance of my mom (the camp director) and the office manager, we handled the food needs for various retreats of 50 to 100 people. All said and done, I have maybe 3 or 4 summers under my belt, with the one fall season by myself (more or less).

My first stint in college lasted 2 years, where I was working in the food service area for money. You know how poor college folk are . . . . . Anyways, I was mainly involved in the mass prep for the dining hall, but having won the esteem of management, was able to transfer primarily to Market Square (basically a "fast food" made once ordered set up) where I ran the grill. I had an absolute blast. Burgers, chicken, breakfast foods, working the fryer, and so forth. I was in charge of cooking it all, and loved every minute of it. Having 40 - 60 some orders lined up in front of me with every square inch of the grill covered with something cooking was heaven for me. I got into synch with my assistants (plural due to it not always being the same person) and we could kick some butt when it came to rush time.

Anyways, with that pretense guiding me and the current degree not panning out, I'm looking into going back to school for culinary arts. Meeting at Brown University in St. Paul, where there is a branch of Le Cordon Bleu Culinary School, this evening to investigate further.

I'm happily married for almost 7 years (7 on December 5) but no kids yet. Figure a career may be in order prior to adding additional mouths to feed, bodies to clothe, etc.

No spring chicken, good lord, what am I then:LOL:
Well, welcome to DC Bigdog! Glad you found us!

8.gif

beethoven.jpg
Bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yey

Welcome to DC Bigdog, you have come to a right place!! Hope you will have lots of fun here, and best of luck to your future plan!!

Howdy to you too, BigDog.

Welcome to DC. May the (cooking) force be with you. :chef:

Thanks for the kind welcome, y'all!

RE: Le Cordon Bleu, not gonna happen. First too expensive. Second, the time demands would have me burnt out in a short time. T'would be Monday through Friday 6pm to 10pm for 15 months. I work M - F 7am to 5pm. You can see how the burnt out aspect would happen, I trust.

Did I mention it was too expensive? Jiminy Christmas! $42,000.00 USD for the course. That does include 6 uniforms (head to toe, including footwear) and a complete set of cutlery and other tools, all in a nice embroidered luggage tote with a handle on wheels.

So, looking at other options. Found a few online certificate things that I may do, but I know that's nothing compared to being in the kitchen and working with food. Haven't tossed in the towel by any means, but LCB (and Arts Institute International) are out mainly due to cost and time commitment (not saying I want instant education, but a working adult has to keep checking reality in what they do).

thumpershere2 said:
Why not start your own catering service. Sounds like you can really handle the stress of cooking for crowds.Welcome to DC.

Have thought about it. Not sure where to start.

Where in MN are you if you don't mind my asking? Burnsville here.

Hey neighbor, been there, i too went to check them out, it's crazy. At that price they should at least offer accomadating ours. I would have liked to take night course. Good luck.

Have you thought about a career as a personal chef? Food for thought.

Last edited:
mish said:
Have you thought about a career as a personal chef? Food for thought.

Wouldn't even know where to begin for something like that.

Don't really know where to begin for the catering thing either . . . . .

Looking into it though . . . . . amidst trying to move . . . . . . ugh . . . . . .

Welcome to DC BigDog! I have seen you have already started posting!

Cameron

Back
Top Bottom