Bourbon or Whiskey Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sjsmall

Assistant Cook
I have attempted my first bread pudding with bourbon sauce and the recipe that I used did not say what kind on bourbon so I used Jim Beam which did not work out so well. Is there a certain kind of bourbon or whiskey that should be used for cooking? Or can you recommend a good cooking bourbon or whiskey?

Thanks a lot!

I think we need to see the recipe you used before we can determine how this recipe went awry. It could be that you just don't like whiskey sauce! :LOL:

Well I am not a huge whiskey person, but I didn't think it would be a strong taste and smell. It tasted just like Jim Beam, I might as well of taken a shot of whiskey before and then a bite of the bread pudding :). Below is the sauce recipe and how to make it. Any suggestions?

Sauce:
1/2 cup butter (4 ounces)
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup bourbon

To make sauce: In a saucepan, melt butter; add sugar and egg, whisking to blend well. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Whisk in bourbon. Remove from heat and chill thoroughly. Whisk before serving. Makes 1 cup.

That recipe seems very heavy on the bourbon to me, and also very light on the dairy. I'll have to go digging, but I think I've got a good one for you.

It certainly seems a bit heavy on the bourbon to me too!! If you do a google search for this sauce you will see some recipes that will give you an idea as to how much to use. It "appears" a couple of tablespoons might be appropriate.

Back
Top Bottom